Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Seafood

Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
SENILE MEMBER

Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Default Salmon recipes

The best salmon run on the fraser river in almost 100 yrs. Sockeye in the 35 million range give or take a 100 grand. The chicken little crowd has been sayin we're killin our salmon resource, I gotta call BS! This run is the largest since 1913. That was before any dams or such anywhere around here.Freezer is stuffed with sockeye, coho & a few monster springs. Those of you that like Chum & pinks (humpy's) can have em. BTW my son in law had salmon jumpin into his boat there are so freakin many of them. Plan on fishin the fraser in 2014 when these guys young un's return. They are cappin the catch @ 13 million so over 20 million will get to spawn. Sounds like a real good sockeye management policy.
So do I smoke the springs or what? I find them super oily and think the coho & sockeye are better on the BBQ.
So what is ur best salmon smokin tips? I need room for game in the freezer so some of this fish has to be smoked & sealed. I need another freezer!
Rebel #52
My Friends call me "Randy" , the rebels can as well as I consider them to be above acquaintance status!
Proudly stolen from Eric W "My strength is the strength of ten for my heart is pure"
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Has JEEP WAVE envy

777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP
777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP

cold smoke it, no brine for about a half hour then pressure can it. Best chip topper in the world. Straight outta the jar or mix with cream cheese and a little salsa. Keeps way longer than just smoked and sealed too.

P.S. If you do just smoke it you will still want to freeze it as it lasts much longer that way.
Originally Posted by Hawgman
What Ford guy doesn't have a chip.... exhaust.... intake.... chrome plated cup holder.... driving lites on all the time...inflated ego...36 inch rubber.. naked lady mud flaps... trucker envy...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Just Got Here

Powderat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canned salmon

brine jar sized chunks in 2 quarts of water, 1/2 cup salt, 2 cups brown sugar,1 cup white sugar, 1T granulated garlic, 1T onion powder, 1T lemon pepper, for 8 hours. I use big cheif smoker and run through 2-3 pans of hickory, then put in jars and I add a big jalapeno in there add lids and can. Simple, basic and all my friends come back for more.I've even got them trained to bring back the jars if they want more
Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 PM
REBEL

143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP
143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP

Looking for salmon recipe on here and found this. Did you make it back out for the sockeye run this year Grizzz? How was it?

Steve
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Seafood