Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
REBEL

Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP
Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP

Heard from a competition smoker guy that good smoke flavor, and the smoke ring in the meat can not be obtained with a pellet smoker. Any truth to this??? Said he had to use liquid smoke at the competitions to get the good flavor??

Opinions???
Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Prospect

INDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from AR

They definitely produce a more subtle smoke flavor compared to a stick burner. But yes you can get smoke flavor and I have no problem getting a smoke ring on my food. To me it's personal preference. Pellet smokers have even won many professional BBQ competitions lately.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 AM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I don't know if its the best thing out there for flavor

I got it because I can push a button and walk away, it stays perfect temp. I plan on getting an electrical timer for even more convience.

I could put on a brisket, have it start at 5 am and cook until noon while I sleep off a hang over.

Do that with a stick smoker!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 AM
REBEL

Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP
Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP

^^^ LMAO, yeah no doubt about it, stick smokers require alot of attention!! ^^^
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Just Got Here

likkerpig is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my Trager 2 years ago, best smoker/grill I ever bought. You can throw a turd on the thing and it would turn out great! Do yourself a favor and get a 180*LV "thermostat" if you don't have one. Much better control over the heat.

Just did a 13lb beef brisket last weekend, put it on at 180* smoke @ 10p.m., got up at 4 and kicked it up to 225. Checked on it at noon, internal temp was ~206, wrapped in alum foil, stuck it in a cooler for 2 hours, sliced it up and it fell apart it was so moist. First beef brisket and it turned out AWESOME! Next time, definitely want the fat cap DOWN to help shield the meat from the heat. Best part is, you have to work at ruining stuff on there. Downside, it takes time to heat up. Kids are hungry, I drop burgers on the old gas weber.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Prospect

whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR
whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Here's some beef ribs I did yesterday. Didn't marinate, didn't do nothing except for throw them on the Traeger for 4 hours on Smoke them finished with 30 minutes on high with a little BBQ sauce. This picture is before the BBQ sauce. Tender, juicy and smoked to the bone.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:18 AM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Cash and Carry for you pellets!

9 bux a bag and more flavor wood then your crappy treager brand pellets

fyi treager brand pellets only contain like 20% flavor wood, the rest is cheap fillers like oak and alder wood
Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 PM
REBEL

FAWK the tregger make good fish
caught a stringer full of goodish sized trout 3lbs ish

marinated in apple juice, garlic, soy, salt, warchecter sauce mebbe some other chit don't remember just dumped a bunch of chit in a bag..sweet and salt

smoke 6 hours with mesquite

I got a couple pics on the cell, its purdy
Fawkwkwkwk

I think next time I may brush with brown sugar / melted butter sauce

yummmmm!!

my wife even ate it, now that is sayin something!!

Last edited by DKY; 10-16-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

DAMMIT DKY.

I WAS JUST COMING IN HERE TO POST THAT WE MADE A WHOLE MESS OF TATER-TOTS ON THE TRAEGER THIS WEEKEND AND SEE YOU ALREADY HAVE IT UP. HAHAHA.. THEY ARE MIGHTY TASTY.

IF YOU DEFROST THEM BEFORE PLACING THEM ON. THEY WILL GET CRISPIER. USED VINEYARD PELLETS, GAVE THEM AN AWESOME FLAVOR

ALSO- WE USE A BASKET TO COOK THEM. (LOOKS LIKE A WOK WITH HOLES)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 PM
REBEL

welp, got a problem with the treager

the fugging paint pealed off on the inside of the lid and dammit near got on my prime rib roast...ohhh i'da been pizzzed

gonna call up treager and tell em WTF I got pics on my phone

its like it wasn't prepped good before the spray, the paint peeled off like celephane plastic wrap almost

also got some peelage where the lid meets the barrel of the smoker on the top part, that inch overlap

fuggers

and now the price dropped so I paid wtf too much
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ