Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default The Traeger thread

Just picked me up a new Traeger grill

tell me what you've learned about cooking on your Traeger!

my first cook, Carne Asada out of a bag from Costco. It was all I had at the time I wanted to try out the grill right away OH FYI the pre-packaged Carne Asada isn't really good, acceptable for what it is though. I only reccomened cooking that crap if you need carne asada in a pinch or camping or ?? MAKE YOUR OWN it'll be better

I didn't cook it long enough, I missed the direct flame. Thinking this might not be the best grill for steaks or high heat meats with direct flame. I do however have the digital temp control coming in the mail I picked it up with the BBQ but they didn't have the neccessary probe. Hopefully that'll help with higher heat.

This is the one I got, I'll toss up some pics of my Traeger in action in here from time to time. Didn't get any pics of the Carne Asada though

For those that are thinking about getting a Treager they seem pretty well built. ALso I noticed you'll need a good power source, I kept popping those GFI circuits on those bathroom style outlets and had to move the cord to a bigger fused outlet. These things pull some juice on startup!

Last edited by DKY; 07-30-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i would love to have one. great for brisket or ribs
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Prospect

whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR
whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Not sure on the power problem. They only draw a few amps, like 75 watts.

IMO, the traeger is the best addition to food I have found in a very long time. It is no replacement for a hot grill though. Max temp is going to be 350-400 and it won't give meat that "seared" effect. As for most other things... unbelieveable! Best chickens, briskets, ribs around. Dr. Pepper ribs are the bomb. It's in the cook book. Also, Betty Boops chicken is amazing.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefish View Post
Not sure on the power problem. They only draw a few amps, like 75 watts.

IMO, the traeger is the best addition to food I have found in a very long time. It is no replacement for a hot grill though. Max temp is going to be 350-400 and it won't give meat that "seared" effect. As for most other things... unbelieveable! Best chickens, briskets, ribs around. Dr. Pepper ribs are the bomb. It's in the cook book. Also, Betty Boops chicken is amazing.
I don't know either, I had it up at my dads house and it was on a fairly long extension cord?

I did some brats tonight, turned out dang good for tube meat lol

Haven't been able to really do a good cut of meat yet, been up at my folks house getting broke in, lota peeps up this weekend. I'll pack it back home in a couple days and toss on some good stuff
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Prospect

whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR
whitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhitefish Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I stand corrected on the power consumption... It uses 300 watts when the ingnitor is on. Since it doesn't run all the time they say it is an average of running 50 watts an hour.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
"Our Hot Nurse"

nursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from AR
nursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from ARnursepwdr Has earned a rub and tug from AR

We have a Traeger and have had it for 4 yrs now ..................The Model is the Smith and Wesson 44 Mag
it's a rather large grill and you can cook lots of food on it !! We can cook everything from stuffed peppers to Pork Tenderloin , or you can smoke or slow cook with it .....We have created some awesome meals with it and have really enjoyed it !

There are a few downfalls with the grill though ............The distributors that sell the wood pellets for it are few and far between and it seems you always run out when you want to use it , they could make the bags larger too so your not always buying them!

And it is difficult to use it in the wind , it cooks very slow!!

It does require cleaning often to maintain the proper temperatures!

Otherwise it gives fantastic taste with the variety of pellets available and is very convienent !!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
REBEL

Trial run, broke it in on some brats and tots. Brats were awesome, but I was surprised at the tots, dang! Off to a good start

Last edited by DKY; 08-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
REBEL

Betty bops chicken, from the Traeger book with added BACON!!
I also used some home pressed apple juice we did last fall, mom canned up a few jars so thats the juice you see in the bottom of the pan.

holy crap was that good!

Last edited by DKY; 08-02-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Prospect

INDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from ARINDEEP Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I bought a Louisiana Country Smoker 570 a few months back. I've tried three brands of pellets in most varieties and the flavor is all about the same. What I've found is it's definitely a slow cooker. I was kinda disappointed at first but I plan on getting a gasser for burning steaks and burgers. I was hoping it would "do it all" and some think it can. But for me there nothing better than a steak seared to medium rare. These smokers will leave grill marks but it isn't the same as a open flame. What it does really well is brisket, pork butt, ribs, chicken, ect ect. Some helpful sites I've found are:

http://www.thesmokering.com/

http://pelletheads.com/

pm me if you have any questions.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 AM
REBEL

smoked pizza on the treager is awesome lol

I put it on a pizza tin that is somewhat insulated, double layer with air in the middle? anyways I couldn't find a decent pizza stone around town today so thats what I used.

who'd a thunk it?
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ