Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 AM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Shortened my exhaust from 20" to 16" and lost 14 ounces. I also wanted a little more noise out of it.

I called Fabcraft today to order the cooler extrusion and they're out until October. I got lucky though and a good friend had an extra set of IQR coolers. I got them cut and fitted, just need to weld on the outlets and then weld the extrusion together. Total length is right at 8'.
What I started with

So far...

I decided to do my rear bumper out of 1" instead of 3/4" which was a little flimsy. Once I get my 1" die for the bender I'll start that project.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 07-09-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Looking really good.

I really appreciate the work some of you guy do having the ambition to do a build such as this!

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Prospect

Tundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from ARTundrat3 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

dude.......very impressive...VERY impressive. doing a rebuild myself. BUT nothing of this magnatude or talent. keepping an eye on this one!
Thy parts did come,my work be done,
on clutch, carb, and suspension.
Give us this day blue bird sky,
And help tree huggers forgive those that trespass against them
Lead us not into avalanches,
but deliver rolling meadows.
For thine is the highmark, the tree run, the sidehill.
From November to mid June

AMEN!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 AM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Front of the tunnel cut out and the block-off plate installed so I can start mocking up the new one. I'm really glad I bought a second bulkhead to build this sled from so I could use my old bulkhead and tunnel to pull measurements off of. Takes a lot of the guess work out.

I'm going to cut the existing block-off at the permanent marker line and bend a new piece where the header goes through.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 07-12-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 AM
REBEL

Finished the cooler which took nearly all day. The stock tunnel cooler and radiator weigh 5 lbs/5 oz, probably closer to 6 lbs when you include the mounting brackets and hardware. The new cooler weighs 4 lbs/ 7 oz.

Used 1" .058 5052 for the outlets

Fully welded and cleaned up. Not bad for only having $85 into it. I just need to pressure test it which I'll do tomorrow.

I had to angle the right outlet towards the outside of the sled so it would clear the exhaust shields.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 07-12-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Prospect

sven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from AR

[QUOTEI called Fabcraft today to order the cooler extrusion and they're out until October. I got lucky though and a good friend had an extra set of IQR coolers. I got them cut and fitted, just need to weld on the outlets and then weld the extrusion together. Total length is right at 8'.
What I started with
.[/QUOTE]

just for future referance fastrax always has cooler extrution on hand
Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
REBEL

Thanks, I should have started with new material. I pressure tested it yesterday to 35 psi and had about 20 pinhole leaks. I think this was purely do to the aluminum being cantaminated by coolant for a couple years. Heating the crap out of it with a torch helped but it was still a beotch to fix all the leaks. I know aluminum likes to be clean and this was a good lesson. And I know it's not me because the new .058 tubing welded very easy and didn't leak. Kind of sucks because my really nice looking welds are now large layered beads, lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Prospect

sven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from ARsven Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post
Thanks, I should have started with new material. I pressure tested it yesterday to 35 psi and had about 20 pinhole leaks. I think this was purely do to the aluminum being cantaminated by coolant for a couple years. Heating the crap out of it with a torch helped but it was still a beotch to fix all the leaks. I know aluminum likes to be clean and this was a good lesson. And I know it's not me because the new .058 tubing welded very easy and didn't leak. Kind of sucks because my really nice looking welds are now large layered beads, lol.
15 psi is more than enough since the radiator cap pops at 13 psi, if you over pressure the extrustion it can bubble it, it happened to my boss, he had another employee hook the regulator up backwards, 160 psi from the compressor and poof instant ballon, I kinda laughed a bit.
I acid wash and use the torch like you did
Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 AM
REBEL

Installed minus the rivets which I don't have.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM
REBEL

Ordered 20' of 3/4 .065 4130 for the upper a-arms, 20' of 1" .065 4130 for the lower a-arms and steering post, and 40' of 1" .083 6061 for the rear bumper and seat frame. I just bought a TwoBrothers +3" tall seat for a KLX110 which should be here this weekend. $84 shipped brand new from Ebay and only weighs 2.5 lbs. http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...n&key=022_8-25.

Picked up my front tunnel blockoff plate and rear tunnel extension.

Punched the holes for the header and coolant tubes.

Cut off the old one and riveted on the new one.

Mocked up in the sled. I still need to do a little trimming but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Tunnel extension. I need to weld the back corners and make some 4130 backing plates for where the extension buts up against the tunnel. I had the sides done 1" deep so you will only see the bumper when finished. The lower bumper tube will the follow the angled part of tunnel(starting at the base of the running boards) until it runs into the top tube.

And yes, I know the angled part of the extension doesn't line up exactly with the tunnel. A small miscalculation on my part but the tube will hide it.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 07-22-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS