Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 2008 Nytro rebuild

Since the BCR forums are slow right now I figured I'd copy my build from TY4stroke and post it over here. I'm basically rebuilding my rallied 2008 Nytro with the goal of dropping a lot of weight. I bought a new TIG welder, tube bender/notcher, and a lot of other tools so I could make all my own parts this time around.

Here's a couple pics of it after last summers rebuild

So far the plan is...
new lighter/stronger tunnel
my own 4130 bumpers, a-arms, steering post, ect.
2010 spindles
8' of Fabcraft u-cooler material (which I'll weld),
Rev or some other brand gas tank
home made seat
new lighter exhaust
Ti. springs and cross shaft in the Expert-X
RMK Gripper skis
new color scheme

I'm gutting the sled as much as I absolutely can. If a part doesn't have a function it's getting boxed, if it can be lightened I'll drill holes in it. I've eliminated most of the electrical already, cooling system is cleaned up, airbox will be gone. Should end up being about the cleanest 4-stroke there is.

I designed my own basic tunnel. I tapered the boards more than my last one and made this one 1-piece instead of the factory 3-piece tunnel. It's made out of .080 5052.

Bulkhead corners trimmed to fit the squared off tunnel

After staring at the sled and drinking a few beers I finally got my front cooler figured out. I wanted a little more track clearance without having to modify anything too much. I ended up gaining around a 1/2". Biggest hurdle was finding new rivet holes, the die cast frame doesn't leave you very many options. I have to trim a little more and then I can rivet it in place for good.

Engine installed to make sure the cooler wouldn't interfere with anything

Clearance gained, it's actually more than it looks because the cooler also moved upward

Modified cooler

Finished the cooler mod. Did some grinding on the cooler so it would match the lines on the bulkhead and clear the motor mounts. I also welded a plug in the lower port since it won't be used anymore.

More weight loss

Had to notch two of the motor mount ridges so the coolant hose would clear.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 06-27-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Tunnel attached to the bulkhead. I angled it up a little so the running boards would be about an inch higher off the ground in the rear and the back of the tunnel would have some more clearance from the track(compared to my last tunnel).

Front suspension holes drilled and front swingarm mounted so I could double check the rear measurements.

Instead of making separate rear mounts I just scrapped the original ones I made, bought some more 4130 plate and made new ones that extend all the way to the rear suspension mount. I still need to clean up a few edges and punch holes in them.

Mounted in the tunnel

That's it for rivets, I want this tunnel to be clean!

Last edited by SNWMBL; 06-27-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM
REBEL

Running board holes drilled and flared.

Got the front of the running boards trimmed, extrusion fitted, and footwells in place. I need to get my reinforcements on the footwells and do some trimming but that should be easy.

I ordered an SSC foot pedal(http://www.ssccontrols.com/homepage-...ngcontrols.htm) for my welder and once that gets here I'll do all the welding to the tunnel and extrusion. I'd say I'm pretty good now but I know with the foot pedal I can get cleaner welds. The AMP adjustment on the gun is in an awkward place and I have a hard time keeping the gun steady while adjusting the amps. I also bought all the 1/16 stuff so I can weld thin sheet now. I'm cmpletely hooked on TIG welding, I can definitely see myself getting a bigger welder within the next year.

SSC pedal vs. Miller

I also bought a 5 piece knockout set that should be here Saturday. It's got 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 1 3/4", and 2" dies. As soon as it gets here I'll punch the holes in the 4130 plates and rivet everything together.

This is where I'm at now. I'll post more pics with progress.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 06-27-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
SPACE POPE

Hypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLP
Hypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLPHypnotoad Offical PLP

sounds interesting, any wieght loss goals?

Rep The Toad To Get Magic Powers
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
'AKWALKSWITHCHUBBY'

AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP
AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP

nice work snow...very professional looking...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
REBEL

Weight loss should be big but I'm not making guesses on weight yet as my plans and ideas change daily. I'm really trying hard to make sure I analyze every part that goes back on the sled.

AKSnowrider, thanks for the compliment. I take a lot of pride in my work, Drew could tell you first hand how picky I am.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM
'AKWALKSWITHCHUBBY'

AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP
AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post
Weight loss should be big but I'm not making guesses on weight yet as my plans and ideas change daily. I'm really trying hard to make sure I analyze every part that goes back on the sled.

AKSnowrider, thanks for the compliment. I take a lot of pride in my work, Drew could tell you first hand how picky I am.
have a few friends who say the same about me...something about perfectionist....I just like to do things right the first time..usually ends up easier and cheaper in the long run...hope you keep sharing your progress..I enjoy seeing nice work...
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 AM
IQR MAN

MtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from ARMtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from AR
MtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from ARMtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from ARMtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from ARMtnMaxMod Has earned a rub and tug from AR

First off, that color scheme is siiiiick! I've seen that sled in a video before..can't remember which one? Second, awesome build, i'll deffinatly be checking up on this one as it progresses. Great job on all the custom work. Those welds are pretty dang good my friend
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 AM
REBEL

The welds on the cooler are factory, but mine are getting close to that. My sled hasn't been in a video. Someone in Canada had a green one first, I copied them and just took the military theme a little further.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 AM
REBEL

HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR
HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Lookin good buddy! And yes he is a perfectionist that is for sure, but that's beAts the alternative. And I think your plans change hourly, not daily, lol
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS