Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Beef Cuts

Most people will always choose a ribeye or a T-bone possibly a porterhouse or a sirloin. Why not, these are the most popular cuts off the carcass. Here I want to show you guys there are so many more cuts that can be as good or better than the top shelf steaks.

We get in boxed beef which saves on waste and is much more efficient than working with a hanging carcass. So lets start off with primals.

Shoulder Clodor Beef Chuck Clod

Charcoal steaks, arm roast, country style beef ribs, flat iron steaks, petite shoulder tender, ranch steak.

Beef Chuck Roll

Chuck Roast, Chuck Steaks, Chuckeye steaks, chuckeye roast

Ribeye Roll

Ribeyes, Prime Rib, Standing Rib roast

Shortloin

Filet Mignon, New York Strip, T Bones and Porterhouses

Top Butt Sirloin

Sirloin strip steaks, Top of IA sirloin, Top sirloin, and the true Delmonico. Top Sirloin Roast

Bone in Beef Round

Bone in round steaks, Top round steaks, eye of round steak, inside round steak, rolled roast, bottom round roast aka rump roast

These 6 primals are what basically everything comes out of. There are also many more cuts off the carcass...here is a little list

flank steak
skirt steak
shins
oxtail
Sirloin Tip
brisket
back ribs
short ribs
tongue
tripe
and sweetbread
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
I like saying Undies

firecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLP
firecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLP

I like the flat iron..mmmmmm

doc I need to come your way!!!can I get these cuts here in Twin cities...would love to start trying the different cuts.....
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If you can find a butcher that knows what hes doing....check ma and pa shops or high end grocery stores....whole foods i believe still has a full service part but is way over priced. But people are willing to pay.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Prospect

Pinner Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Pinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Maybe post up a picture/diagram, I don't think many people know much about cuts of meat.

Quote:
Charcoal steaks, flat iron steaks, petite shoulder tender, ranch steak,Top of IA sirloin, rolled roast, Chuck Roast, Chuck Steaks, Chuckeye steaks, chuckeye roast.
You won't even hear of those cuts in Canada, and seldom hear of any chuck.

Is it true that most beef/meat in the states is corn feed ? I see that on T.V. all the time, huge feedlots.

Here in western Canada our beef is grass pastured and fed hay in the winter in the fields, then fattened up with grain just before slaughter.

I'm no farmer or butcher though. ?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM

everything that we get is 100% corn fed...once ready to be finished out they go on full feed.

ill see what i can do about pics and maybe explanations of some of the cuts
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
"Uncle Buck"

00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR
00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR

[IMG][/IMG]

1 1/4" rib-eyes mmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by 00buck; 05-04-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 AM
I like saying Undies

firecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLP
firecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLPfirecatguy Offical PLP

doc lets need a section on all diffrent ways to cook!!!deep fry etc
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 AM

There is....Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

It doesnt say specifics but it is more or less a food cook/prep thread to include frying (mmmm deep fried turkeys) convection ovens, stove top.stuff like that....

those ribeyes look a lot like my aged ribeyes outta the deep freeze haha how were they?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 AM
"Uncle Buck"

00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR
00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR00buck Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Some were the aged ones...but just got 1 butchered too
Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
REBEL

Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Default Brisket

I prefer to cook 2 young & small briskets vers a large old & tough one.
Cook low & slow fat side up on a pan made of foil so the fat melts through the brisket helping break down the tough muscle while basting with a mop sauce & makes for a enjoyable dinner sensation

These “odious debts” are considered to be the personal debts of the tyrants who incurred them, rather than the country’s debt
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken