Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM

killerbee68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what does the CDI do?????

I have a 96 670 this last weekend up at Blewett I rejetted from 370/380 to 330/340 in attempt to get rid of a almost rev limiter like stutter at 7000rpm
thought it was fuel related but doesn't seem to be. I can't get over 7000rpm
Does the CDI box control spark advance?
if the rotax valve was a tooth out would it cause this?
It's great off the line, and starts easily, I'm stumped and need some help and suggestions. thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
REBEL

buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR
buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it controls your ignition timing for your spark. I don't think there is any adjustment so if your cdi is bad you have to get a new one and I'm sure they don't just give them away.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
REBEL

sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

the cdi box control most of the eletcronics of the sled. some sleds can change the time by a little adjustment in the magento. im sure on the older 670s. to me it sounds like you clutch needs some help.... maybe check that first.

2013 polaris assualt 800
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM

sledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Yes, it could be your CDI.............I have had very similiar problems.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 AM

killerbee68 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you, I've been trying to figure out what controls the advance of the timing I'm sure it has to advance to sustain optimum performance through out the rpm curve
Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM

sledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledsrock Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Over the years I have had that problem twice, swore up and down it was clutching/jetting (HAC), finally I threw a timing light at it and after the sled was warmed up you could see it in the timing window, both times the timing was all over the place. The CDI fixed it both times.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
REBEL

sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

hhhmm i have never really ran into that problem... good to know tho! the only cdi box to go out on me was on 2008 kx250f, and it just wouldnt start or spark period.

2013 polaris assualt 800
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Just Got Here

blastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from ARblastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from ARblastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from ARblastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from ARblastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from ARblastco2 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Cdi= capacitive discharge ignition, and yes it does control timing. Make sure all connections are good including plug wires and boots....
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
WHITEOUT MAGAZINE

WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP
WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP

A CDI ignition could do this, but so could 6 other items. First, will it go above 7k with no load? Track off the ground. Let's go from there.
FREE IN PRINT AND ONLINE

www.whiteoutmagazine.com
Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
WHITEOUT MAGAZINE

WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP
WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEOUT View Post
A CDI ignition could do this, but so could 6 other items. First, will it go above 7k with no load? Track off the ground. Let's go from there.
Hello????
FREE IN PRINT AND ONLINE

www.whiteoutmagazine.com
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO