Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > DAKOTAS

Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Prospect

onlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from AR
onlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Black Hills snow conditions

Rode out of Trailshead Sat and Sun, everything is pretty well packed down but the trails are still good, my god there was a lot of people there on Sat, we got the last parking spot in the lower lot. Sunday we took our grandson to the Ice Cave------wwwwwway down south, it was better than I expected but not much snow down there, the big meadows down south are finally getting smooth but there is not much untracked to be seen unless you get south of six mile road where there is untracked snow but not enough to keep you above the rocks. Lmao, saw 3 or 4 different rigs turn off the highway onto the trail instead of the parking lot approach at Trailshead but the snow is so hard there that they were able to get out again, luckily they got out before the trail cops got there to give them a ticket. I do not agree with the GFP wardens fining people for turning in on the wrong approach at Trailshead and getting stuck, there is no intent to harm anything it is just an honest mistake. I wonder if the money from the fines goes back into the trail fund ???

Last edited by onlyrotax; 03-03-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM

jsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from AR

We rode from Whitetail court all weekend, made it down to Trailshead and Black Fox on Friday (trail riding with the wives) and it was probably the best trail riding I've ever had, we did come across some bare spots but the trails were nice and smooth. Saturday, man was it warm...... We stuck around the Rec Springs area and spent the day teaching the kids some off-trail stuff. The backcountry is all tracked up and packed down, when you get a spot that isn't tracked up it's allright and the snow was still 3' deep in the tree's. We rode most of the day and put on 17 miles, that's the way I like it, but got one heck of a workout.

The snow is really going to take a beating this week with the temps forecasted and no snow, plus the heat they got on Saturday. It'll be our last trip out there unless they get a good dumping, been a terrible snow year out there but they gotta get a typical spring 3'er.... right???
My 900 project.. 05 900 (166). 2010 spindles, Powder pro's, Zbroz triple rate front shock springs, 225 front track spring, HD torsion springs, no sway bar, compfusion mounts, Wiseco pistons, SLP can, SLP rope, SLP balanced primary, a few vents, 4" riser, Skinz bumper, re-clutched and geared, fbf cable, 1 set of intake boots (so far), fuel tank update, chaincase update, Slidekicks. 1015 miles and slowly counting.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Prospect

onlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from AR
onlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from ARonlyrotax Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Mercifully

Mercifully, maybe this year is over, for those of us that ride the meadows and cross-country it was a bad year. The meadows have been hard and rough all season including yesterday-----enough to rattle your brains out. The tree riders (stump pounders) and trail riders had a decent year I guess. The only saving grace was the lunchtime entertainment at Trailshead watching the "tourists" try to get their rigs out after they turned in on the trail thinking it was the parking lot entrance.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM

jsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARjsledder Has earned a rub and tug from AR

This was a record year!! On money spent and return on that investment........ Sucked!! I think we rode a total of 4-5 days all year

I was hoping this storm coming through would be the typical 2-3 footer but they are only calling for 4-8". Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for another big dump like they had last year.
My 900 project.. 05 900 (166). 2010 spindles, Powder pro's, Zbroz triple rate front shock springs, 225 front track spring, HD torsion springs, no sway bar, compfusion mounts, Wiseco pistons, SLP can, SLP rope, SLP balanced primary, a few vents, 4" riser, Skinz bumper, re-clutched and geared, fbf cable, 1 set of intake boots (so far), fuel tank update, chaincase update, Slidekicks. 1015 miles and slowly counting.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
REBEL

HillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I hope we get more than they are calling for, I'm not done yet! We do have several trips to the Big Horns coming up, but I like to ride without hauling the sled.

If God hadn't banished Man from the Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsRider View Post
I hope we get more than they are calling for, I'm not done yet! We do have several trips to the Big Horns coming up, but I like to ride without hauling the sled.
Is it any good out there??? I like to ride without hauling the sleds too, more than 4 hours. But I might be looking at finding a couple guys and trying to get to the Big Horns yet, I haven't even started to scratch the itch.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 PM
REBEL

HillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from ARHillsRider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsledder View Post
Is it any good out there??? I like to ride without hauling the sleds too, more than 4 hours. But I might be looking at finding a couple guys and trying to get to the Big Horns yet, I haven't even started to scratch the itch.
The owner of Bear Lodge posted a little today on their website about the snow conditions. Hopefully they will get a few storms in the next few weeks as our first trip will be early April.

If God hadn't banished Man from the Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Trail report says 1" of new as of today. What????? NOAA has been saying close to a foot in most locations of the Black Hills with locally higher amounts, and they only get an inch???

Is it too late to change career paths and become a meteorologist??? Don't know what other career, other than politician, you can F'up everyday and still have a job.

We need to get more locals from "over there" to find this site and give updates. SDSNOCOP, Firetrail, etc..
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsledder View Post
Trail report says 1" of new as of today. What????? NOAA has been saying close to a foot in most locations of the Black Hills with locally higher amounts, and they only get an inch???

Is it too late to change career paths and become a meteorologist??? Don't know what other career, other than politician, you can F'up everyday and still have a job.

We need to get more locals from "over there" to find this site and give updates. SDSNOCOP, Firetrail, etc..
Agree, hey did that group ride ever happen? When I left SW I didn't really follow that anymore, how did it turn out?? Rebel ride next year?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM

urbancamoM7 Can cook for the Washington Crew

not sure how much fell up north, but we got maybe 3-4" in custer and it is already melting away.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > DAKOTAS