Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS

SLED HEADS General Sled Chat

Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 PM
REBEL

Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Had to life flight out someone with a broken leg today ...

Man, today turned interesting real quick.

Was riding with a group at the local stomping grounds today .... Bluebird day, warm weather, no wind, hero snow ....

So we decided to make for an extended trek.

All was great, everything was fine .... till a sled happened to tip over on a rider and somehow ... she wound up with a broken leg.

We were making a creek crossing in an area every rider in the group knew very well and had ridden many times.

We found a very easy spot to cross, straight shot then up on top of bank to the right ....

But, something happened, nobody really knows what, but the sled tipped over and pinned her leg between the running board and the snow, somehow ... broke her leg just above her boot.

I was in front of another rider and she was behind him ... I looked over my shoulder to make sure they were behind me, noticed one rider coming towards me and a sled tipped over behind him ... Came to a stop, looked back ... did not see the rider, saw a tipped sled ....

I thought "Oh shit she fell in the fucking creek" ...

Whipped a 180 and booked it back, she had a leg pinned underneath the sled ...

Didn't realize it was that bad until I heard her screaming to get the sled off her.... Managed to lift the tipped-over-sled off her, and she was hurt. It wasn't good.

What the kicker is ... this particular gal is an EMT.

She was able to get herself pulled out while I held the sled up....this chick is pretty tough I'd say ...

After I talked to her for a few seconds, radioed the other riders we had an emergency here ...

They came back, we talked her down a bit ... and, as she was the EMT in the group, told us to get her medical bag..... She actually coached two of the guys in the group how to set a splint on her leg on the spot. Made sure to keep her warm to avoid shock, etc.

Two of us booked it up the nearest ridge to try and get cell service to call 911, there was no way she was riding out the way she was and we knew a helicopter could land right there.

No dice on cell service.... So we booked it as fast as we could back, talked to the others, told them we needed to get to the warming hut where a satellite phone was.

So, bear in mind, we're 18-20 miles away from any sort of trail. Cleaaaaaaaaar the hell back there.

Good thing for hero snow ... We made it to the hut, called in the chopper from there.

I have to say I am absolutely amazed at how quick they got there. We called it in, talked to the local sherrifs office, told them what was going on, they put the call and the GPS coords into Eastern Idaho Air Rescue ...

We hung the phone up, put our helmets back on, and booked it back to where the others were. We figured it was a 20 minute trip at the most, we were hauling ass ...

Maybe 5 minutes at most after we got back, we hear a a helicopter coming in.

They circled once, then landed maybe 100' from where the down rider was.

Stabilized her, and off she went ....

Some others in the group decided to leap frog her sled back to the parking lot, still waiting to hear from them how that went..

But man ....

It just goes to show you how a totally normally ride on a good day can somehow some way turn bad in a quick hurry with no warning.

Crazy deal, but I think I'm gonna order an InReach communicator ... that could have saved us about an hour today I think.

I guess the moral of the story is ... be careful and be prepared, this is definatley not a risk-free recreational activity
Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Wow, that could have gone the other way real fast.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 PM
REBEL

Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Interesting day ...
Old 04-01-2017, 11:16 PM
REBEL

BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Good job getting help, even better that she knew what to do and had the tools!
Ive got a SPOT(luckily never used it) and my buddy has a globalstar sat phone just in case.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:30 PM
REBEL

I just ordered an InReach Communicator today ...

I researched it, talked to a few folks who had used it, and it seems to be a good fit.

I kind of like the idea of having my GPS, radio and now satellite device all separate as opposed to one device with all three items, as if one fails, theoretically the other two would remain in service.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM
REBEL

BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Never heard of them, looks like a great device. What are the operating costs? Monthly plan or yearly?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM
REBEL

CatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
CatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from ARCatndHat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

So was the sled on its side the distress marker for chopper?
Makes sense.
Been thinking to carry a boat flair gun for this type of situation with no real
means of ops communication where site chopper landing is necessary..
Glad it is now just a stressful, but successful retrieval story.

Team Frosty Fro
Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatndHat View Post
So was the sled on its side the distress marker for chopper?
Makes sense.
Been thinking to carry a boat flair gun for this type of situation with no real
means of ops communication where site chopper landing is necessary..
Glad it is now just a stressful, but successful retrieval story.
Well ... No. The sled was on its side because it tipped over on her and pinned her under the running board and that was where it landed after I lifted it off of her, but we kind of just left it there .... I don't know if anybody ever really thought about leaving it that way as a beacon.

She was laying down right next to it while we were stabilizing her for several minutes after the fact, we knew it wasn't gonna tip back over so we kind of just left it there ....

With that said, I still have no idea what happened that it wound up on the side it was on with her underneath it .... I didn't actually see it happen.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I would say she lost balance and put her foot down on the snow and pulled sled over on top of her
Old 04-04-2017, 07:14 PM
REBEL

That does make sense.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS