Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS

SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS Forum dedicated to the single ski riders

Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Just Got Here

my_nanc is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the differences between the expert x and the extreme rear suspension. I can see the difference on tye front shock was it a fail set up.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

They are about the best trenching skids you can get you hands on , the Xtreme just does it a little better the the Xpert X .

The Expert X was Boivins first skid that also mounted under a production model MxZ sled besides being available for most sled models . The Expert X updated version was the flagship skid for the 503 Snow Hawk that has overload coils for bottoming out . The more aggressive third shock Xtreme , no overloads , was fitted under the liquids and sat higher for it to work the way it was intended which was quickly lowered the following year from backlash of the consumers which also affected the way it handled and not for the better . It was never available to sleds .

Set up on the Expert X track is with something like 2 3/16 of free hang at the pivot rail and the Xtreme is like an 1 1/2 of free hang . Not sure why people are stabbing tracks besides running an alder threw one of the windows .

The Expert X is the better riding and floating skid at a sane pace . The Xtreme is for ludicris speeds . Properly set up both of these skids respond with a nod or turn of the head with the slightest pressure on the pegs .

Neither skid was designed for big air blow out , working against the lap time doesn't place on the podium . Point and shoot , the harder you are on the throttle the better they ride . The Xtreme is the better of the two for this application . They are designed for beating on , bending/cracked rails is not acceptable .
Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Jens Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_nanc View Post
What was the differences between the expert x and the extreme rear suspension. I can see the difference on tye front shock was it a fail set up.
they are very different in both mecanics and performance.
many consider the expert x suspension superior to the extreme. biggest issue is that the expert extreme compresses the rear part of the suspension while expanding in the front during acceleration creating trenching. the x suspension works better in that regard, keeping a better angle of attack in the snow. i think the springs are harder on the extreme also if im not mistaken. shorting the limiter strap on the extreme did wonders, but still not as good as the expert x in the snow.

i think many people forget a simple thing. 15 years ago, these suspensions filled their purpose pretty well if you compare them to the sleds of the time, and the type of riding that people did. these suspensions on a bumpy trail is still pretty awesome even by todays standards. but there is a reason people are changing to sled suspensions from the modern age today. new riding standards for powder machines, and almost everybody is riding powder machines today... at least here in Sweden.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Great answer there Hawkster! Love the knowledge on this forum!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Back at ya Jens , have you seen the MotoTrax bike kit skid ? Newer version of what we've been talking about
Old 10-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Just did a quick peek. Interesting for sure.! I like that all the snowbike manufacturers are testing different suspensions to push the one ski machines to new levels. I hope one day that the snowbikes would become legal to ride here. Most Snowhawks are registered as a snowmobiles here, nice to not worry about braking the law and to be able to ride with insurance

Update on the build:
Im still waiting on some parts. Im also going out of town for some army evaluation tests and refreshing of my tanker skills, so i dont think i will get to do much this week with the hawks im afraid.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM

Back from the army training.

Recieved a package from Mr. Steve Sampson
From this forum. Drop and rolls, Chain tensioner axels and alot of cool stuff! He is the man!

My new track has arrived for pick up.
Camso Challenger extreme 2.5".
Was thinking about buying a peak 2.5. But after reading reviews about it. The challenger seems like the better choice for the hawk.
Need to cut the width of the track. Its going to be awesome!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Just Got Here

motorheadmike is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm happy to see that hawk mods are not dead. Now I just need to light a fire and work on the ones I have. How would I get ahold of Mr Sampson? I need mod parts. Lol
Old 11-02-2016, 03:05 PM

You dont find him. He finds you
Search for him on this forum and send him a PM.
He's a great guy and can probably help you with parts.

I got the 137" track and suspension installed on the fanner tonight. With no slip drivers.
Man, i forgot how much pain and anger it involves to get the suspension in and put the bolts through the axels. Alot of strapping and hoisting up and down to get everything lined up. Feels good now that its done

Also a picture of the package from Steve with alot of goodies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161102_213106.jpg (64.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20161031_201840.jpg (42.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM

NEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Some say if you leave out beer and cookies he just shows up!

Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS