Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION

Old 11-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Weird 7.3 PSD issue

Got a ghost in my machine! 99 F350 7.3 PSD. Ill start it, let it warm up a bit, start driving it, & the Service Engine Soon light pops on, it doesnt die, but I cant accelerate (floor it & get nothing). About 20 secs later the light goes out & its back to normal. Doesnt happen all the time or everyday. Any clue to what may be causing this?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Just Got Here

sledmike1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

After you warm it up and try driving it, does it increase in RPM from idle at all once the CEL illuminates or is it stuck at low idle? Try to start it by holding the throttle down all the way BEFORE turning the ignition on and starting. Keep the pedal down after it starts and let the pedal up slowly. It should not run above an idle once started and as you let the pedal up the ECM will reset as the pulse count decreases to the minimum pulse count recognized as idle. Once you have let it up all the way, try and accelerate. If it seems to 'recover' I would be suspicious of TPS. If there is no valid signal from TPS to ECM, it will remain at an idle and turn on the light. Really sounds like a failing TPS. It is just a potentiometer and eventually wear out. Pull the trouble codes....
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Ill be driving at low speed, low idle (30-40mph) & then the SES light comes on. It never dies or stumbles, but I cant accelerate, its like somebody unhooked the throttle cable, romp it, floor it nothing. About 10-20 secs later the light goes out, & all is normal. This is all while still rolling. 1st time it happened I pulled over, threw it in park, back in drive & all was fine. This time I kept rolling & just shifted to neutral & it cleared again. Its only done this as its warming up within 5-10 mins from starting. Its never done it after its fully warmed up. Im guessing a bad (seated) connection on either the ECU, or other module, possibly.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Just Got Here

Have you tried it on cruise control? If it doesn't act up on cruise, it most likely is the TPS. While on cruise the TPS is inactive below speed indication but the light can still be on because the ECM still sees a failing TPS or open/grounded circuit. Have a scanner hooked up and pull the codes out. I will bet there are a number of historic pedal assembly/TPS codes.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Chronic Basketcase

Never tried cruise. It happened only a few times, a quick romp on the pedal or shift to neutral & back to drive resets it. Is the TPS part of the gas pedal assy? Do I need to replace the whole assy?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Just Got Here

Usually just buy the whole thing with the pedal. I think new they are around $200 or so. Seen used ones with a 30 day guarantee for $35 to $50 on ebay. If you can punch the throttle and get it to go away, i would just about bet money that that's your problem. It is just a potentiometer and wears out over time. You can get dead spots and the ECM sees that as an open circuit and sets code. You could still be a wiring issue but i doubt it. See if you can borrow one from a friend and plug it in and drive it. Testing with a "known good" is the easiest way if you can't get the diagnostic codes.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:13 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Definitely pull the codes, but yeah, sounds like the pedal assy. I've got the same thing on mine, except there's a light on the dash specifically for the pedal and throttle body motor.

Check the connector, might just be loose... but my guess is the assy just needs replacement.

#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Chronic Basketcase

I ordered the assy. My brother works at Ford in parts. It lists for $342, found it on EBay for $219 + s/h. I got it for $183 + s/h. Still a spendy little sucker.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Just Got Here

Ford prices do take your breath away.....give Komatsu a try for a real shock. At least Komatsu doesn't try to take credit for the invention of air and sunlight like Cat, though.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Chronic Basketcase

Got the new assembly & installed it. No trouble since. Think I got it resolved. Thanks to all!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION