Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > WATER SPORTS > FISHING / HUNTING

Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 PM
"Little Creep"

TROUT HUNTER has disabled reputation
Default 2014 Gulf of Alaska/Elffin Cove Fishing Trip (Pic Heavy)

Well got back sunday from probably one of the best trips I have ever taken. For the longest time me and my pops have talked about going to Alaska to fish. Going there was right up there with chasing cock in South Dakota. So last December he decided we were going to make it happen. After a little discussion we got my oldest brother committed to go and since his brother in law runs a lodge we decided we would support him and go there.
Here is the link to Water's Edge Lodge Website
http://www.watersedgealaska.com/Wate...odge/Home.html

I would be lying if I said I knew what I was getting into, the lodge is 100% self guided, they provide the gear, boat, take care of your fish, the cooking and laundry. With the kid shoing up this summer I really didn't put time into learning any of the things I needed to know so we got very lucky to have a former employee of the lodge that is a family friend that was there the same time we were to show us the ropes.

Here's a summary of the trip and a few pics to go along with it.

Sunday we were supposed to make the float plane flight from Juneau to Elfin Cove.We loaded but the weather was pretty sketchy and it ended up with us having to turn around 8 miles from the lodge and head back to Juneau.

After a night there we caught a 7 AM flight monday morning out to the lodge.
The 3 of us show up.

So this is where we got tossed into the deep end, when they say self guided its pretty much here is the boat, its loaded with gear, good luck and we will see you tonight. As a disclaimer I wouldn't say I am a rookie to boats as I am up to over a 1000hrs of running time in jet boats on rivers but I was in no way ready for the first 20 min of boat time on the ocean. The storms that had kept us out sunday had the water ripping pretty good and the halibut spot we were headed to Monday took us through south pass and it was right as tide was going out so that combined with wind and the gulf pulling out through a mile passage had us pushing through 12-14ft seas with pretty good current.......I was a wee bit puckered up! We didn't end up pulling any barn doors in but over all made a decent haul considering we had never fished for halibut before.

Next up Tuesday and Salmon Fishing
Old 08-28-2014, 07:04 PM
"Little Creep"

So Tuesday morning brought us better weather and some calmer seas so we headed out past 3 hill (open ocean) after silvers and black bass.

The owner told us flat out dont shy away from the bass as they are a quick way to put fish in the boat and they taste great so we kept our eyes open for em on sonar.We pulled some decent silvers in and a few black bass. For avid fly guys the whole down rigger flasher deal was completely new to me but we all seemed to pick it up.

We decided to go out after Halibut in the afternoon and blanked on them.
Wens coming....
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 PM
"Little Creep"

So wens we had even better weather. We didn't limit on silvers but we had fog move in and everthing we pulled ended up being toads. Nothing under 12 lbs and I pulled in my biggest silver of the trip at 15.2 lbs. Heres a few pics from the day. We did find a good school of black bass and we jerry rigged a jigging setup quick on the salmon rods and limited out in under 15 min on them.

I should add we saw tons of other wild life, otters, sea lions, whales, and porpoises all the time. I didn't realize that we would be fishing next to glaciers and preserves, pretty much was the same areas that people pay to take cruises in plus we got to fish.

Thurs coming up
Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 PM
"Little Creep"

Thurs morning came along and we got a sweet show right on the way out, had a whale that breached right in front of us for a good hour and then we went out and fished. We did well on the silvers and black bass again.

We didn't take any fish pics and that afternoon my brothers in laws went out for halibut we ended up pulling in a decent 40 lber to finish the day.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM
"Little Creep"

So friday came along and we usually had a 4th in our boat from a family of 5 that was up there that we knew. Well friday they decided to fish together and leave us 3 on our boat. Now i should say friday was slow for silvers, guys that have been fishing for em for years were struggling to pull fish in. Some how we snaked in a few and decided with the amount of fillets we had that we were good on salmon and to go after halibut. I had a spot that had been in my head to fish a couple of times i had looked into it and decided we would hit it. So we got there and after 5 min i had bites and hooked up with a smallish guy that I debated on tossing back. Considering it was 3 on the last day we decided to keep him. So i get the bait back into the water and feel a good tug and instead of giving line i set the hook like you would a j hook. Circle hook locked up and I went for a ride. Craziest fishing deal I have ever done. Big halibut took a 300' run on me and it was all i could do to hold on as I had the drag cranked and a thumb getting burned on the spool trying to stop and turn him. Finally got stopped and he took a couple more runs that werent as long. Crazy trip and he ended up at 123.8

and got a little bit more to add but gotta go....to be continued.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
REBEL

woolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from AR
woolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from AR

looks like it was fun trip !
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Sounds like a great trip! Becareful. Saltwater fishing is addictive! Now you know why we live here and do it every weekend
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
"Little Creep"

Ok back to business. Called it good after halibut and packed her in for the week. Between the 3 of us we put in 350lbs of fillets in the freezer. Can't say enough at how awesome it was. Was a trip of a lift time and can't wait to go again. After watching the charter boats motor around i actually started to feel bad for those that had paid twice as much and were there for half as much time. Ive got a bunch more pics to sort through and Ill put a few up.

Ultra I am hooked, actually started looking at a few work openings up in AK with PCL and Kewitt and seeing if they would be a good fit to get me up there full time.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 PM
SENILE MEMBER

Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP

Nice hali there. Addict here 50 yrs. of ocean fishing and no going back (except chitty weather days). Go earlier and hook some slab kings. Top water kelp bed silver fishing can be a panic with light gear. Welcome to the club....
Rebel #52
My Friends call me "Randy" , the rebels can as well as I consider them to be above acquaintance status!
Proudly stolen from Eric W "My strength is the strength of ten for my heart is pure"
Old 09-06-2014, 08:14 AM
"Little Creep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
Nice hali there. Addict here 50 yrs. of ocean fishing and no going back (except chitty weather days). Go earlier and hook some slab kings. Top water kelp bed silver fishing can be a panic with light gear. Welcome to the club....
Thanks grizz, we are looking at doing an early season king trip. Since the lodge is located near a choke point for fish headed in to spawn they get pretty heavy concentrations of fish. Now that ive got a taste ive been doing a lot reading on trolling techniques. Pretty much hooked.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > WATER SPORTS > FISHING / HUNTING