Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > RACING

RACING General sled related racing discussion forum & classifieds

Old 06-18-2014, 08:50 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14RMK600 View Post
Hello I'm 18 and interested in starting either Sno-Cross or Cross Country racing. I've been around sleds for years now and have a 2014 rmk of currently but I don't know what to use as a race sled. I've been looking at IQR's, MXZ-RS's, and Sno Pro's but i don't know what the pros and cons of each. Any help, tips, or advice for a wanna-be racer?

Thanks
What part of WI are you in? Look for a used race sled at the summer swaps. We run (grass drags) at Wausau, Princeton MN, Rochester MN and the big one, Haydays. Just getting on a race sled at a sanctioned event (any organized one) will require safety gear. Helmet (Farm and Fleet won't work), need a Tekvest (the correct one too). Some also require leg and arm protection. The sled will require some safety equipment too. Tether, snow flap strap, regulation carbides and studs.

You will have fun, and learn how to budget $$$$

We have a Pro-Stock 700 grass sled for sale. 2001 CK3 chassis triple. Won Princeton and Haydays qualifier too.....

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Break Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I would use my RMK for a race or 2 but I don't know/think the warranty will cover any race related damages if they happen. I just never seen anyone use a mtn sled for Sno-x haha

Mac, I'm not far from Wausau. Ive went to Haydays the past few years and will defiantly be going again this year. The Christian Brothers have a back up race sled for sale right now that's completely set up for Sno-X but I don't know if I wanna spend almost 7K on a sport that I may not like because their sled runs on 116 octane fuel and therefore I cant use it as my trail sled with out installing new heads/domes/etc.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break View Post
Mule you use a RMK Pro for Sno-X?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBoy View Post
Last I knew you could still run a mtn sled in sno-x but crissakes that can be a beat down.
RMSR's got a longtrack sno-x class, that's what I was running in. It's a bit of a disadvantage, having another foot and a half of track/tunnel behind you, but ... really comes down to your skills as a rider rather than the vehicle you're on.

And yeah, it's pretty fckin dumb. Can't wait to do it again next year.

The Assaults do a little better since they've got a better shock package, and the comp track hooks up a little better since it's stiffer. But the Pro-RMK's will do it. I was keeping up pretty well, all things considered.

Hillcross is a much more longtrack-friendly event, and probably what I'll focus on more next year.

Having a "race sled" doesn't make you a racer. A good racer/rider can do well on a longtrack in sno-x.
Same way having a nice/expensive camera doesn't make you a pro photographer, but a good photog can grab some great pics with a cheap point-and-shoot.

So... some more longtrack sno-x pics from Ultimate.
This guy busted his ankle on that stepdown I wiped out on 2 weeks earlier, the one that kept the medics busy. I could tell he wasn't riding 100%.

Lotsa more Pros in hill-x.

I was the only one at that race with both a media pass and a racer's wristband.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 06-18-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM

Break Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from ARBreak Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I don't want to sound like a complete newbie but:
1. what is hillcross?
2. Where about does RMSR races take place?
3. How do racing numbers get assigned to racers?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Quote:
I would use my RMK for a race or 2 but I don't know/think the warranty will cover any race related damages if they happen. I just never seen anyone use a mtn sled for Sno-x haha
Warranty will likely not be honored. But .... I wouldn't tell them either.
Insurance is another thing to consider, my sled's policy specifically excludes organized racing. I need to talk to my agent about it and look at RMSR's coverage to see if I need any additional riders on the policy.

Quote:
Ive went to Haydays the past few years and will defiantly be going again this year. The Christian Brothers have a back up race sled for sale right now that's completely set up for Sno-X but I don't know if I wanna spend almost 7K on a sport that I may not like because their sled runs on 116 octane fuel and therefore I cant use it as my trail sled with out installing new heads/domes/etc.
Run what ya brung till you know it's something you're into. I'd love to have a 2nd sled as a "backup", be nice to have a short-track for fall and late spring riding, but... even just having that 2nd sled is a lot of expense. I'll put up with the Pro for a while longer.

Stop by the Tylers Backcountry Awareness big blue trailer at Haydays, ask for Mule. I'll be there with my camera and beacon park. :
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM

I currently dont have insurance due to getting my sled late in the season when the snow was going away. Probably should get some eventually haha. I'm going to look more into the RMSR because I don't think that race circuits around me allow long tracks. I will definitely be stopping by at Haydays
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a complete newbie but:
1. what is hillcross?
2. Where about does RMSR races take place?
3. How do racing numbers get assigned to racers?
Hill-X is a mountain event - like Sno-X, but with somewhat bigger jumps and just one shot up a hill. Sorta like hilldrags with jumps. Sometimes, depending on space constraints, it may just be a flat course with some jumps on it.

RMSR = Rocky Mountain Snowmobile Racing. http://www.rmsrracing.com/
Races were held in Colorado (Crested Butte, Grand Lake, Silverton) and one in Alpine, Wyoming this year.
Fairly new organization. XMR started ~8 years ago, first race organization in Colorado in a long time. Reorganized and rebranded as RMSR two seasons ago, running a bunch of races and it's a much stronger organization now. Tough to run a race org out here, most of the snowmobilers are backcountry riders. When the snow's good, they'd rather be in the backcountry. When the snow sucks, nobody wants to stand around at a race anyways.

Numbers depend on the organization. Again ... it'll be in the rulebook (are you seeing a pattern here?). RMSR lets you pick your first, second, third choice. I registered about halfway through the race season since I was busy working with TBA for the first half, so I knew there wasn't another 155, and I really didn't want to try and peel off the numbers on the back of my tekvest. So 155 it is.

Groomers on the track Friday getting the hillcross track set up

Practice laps for the Pro guys friday. Starting line's at the bottom of the frame (stoplight by the race staff on the lower right frame is the "flag"), track was basically four doubles, finish line over the top double (flagger standing on the right side of it).

From the starting line in one of my heats. Between the roost from the faster guys and the wet gloppy snow falling that morning, I didn't get much useable video from my helmet cam. Still haven't seen pics from the photog that was out there either, same gal that shot the ones from Silverton.
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 06-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 PM

My heart is a thumpin just thinkin of racing like that haha only if it wasn't so far away I didnt know there were so many different types of sled racing
Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I currently dont have insurance due to getting my sled late in the season when the snow was going away. Probably should get some eventually haha. I'm going to look more into the RMSR because I don't think that race circuits around me allow long tracks. I will definitely be stopping by at Haydays
Wisconsin to Colorado is a pretty long haul...

RMSR does provide some insurance coverage with the registration, I suspect it's just a fairly basic liability policy. Honestly I didn't look into it much. Like I said, it's something I have to talk to my agent about. I pay him to deal with this ♥♥♥♥, he's the insurance expert.

Theft, collision, liability, and medical coverage with a $500 deductible costs me like $250/year for my sled. It's a small expense through the season compared to what I spend on fuel, and should I ever have to file a claim it's money well spent. During the summer I take off collision/liability/medical since I'm not riding it, saves me about $20/mo.
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
My heart is a thumpin just thinkin of racing like that haha only if it wasn't so far away I didnt know there were so many different types of sled racing
Ultimate. I was racing Hill-X and Drags sunday, but shot snocross on saturday.
http://mule.smugmug.com/Snowmobiles/20140412/
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=31621

Silverton. Raced Sno-X saturday. Signed up for Hill-X, but after busting my ankle casing a double I bowed out of hillcross and ran drags instead.
http://kalielarae.zenfolio.com/f1006878069 Sno-X; I'm in "Longtrack"
http://kalielarae.zenfolio.com/p1072236199 Drag races
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=31543

Alpine Jubilee. No racing, just shooting sunday. Saturday's weather was miserable, did some work on the beacon park software, watched movies, and drank beer in the trailer.
http://mule.smugmug.com/Snowmobiles/20140301/
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=31344

Roost the Butte. I was busy with my beacon park, that event was the first time I deployed the system. Still got up the mountain to watch/shoot some racing though.
http://mule.smugmug.com/Snowmobiles/20140118/
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=30803

Grand Lake, first RMSR event of the season. Doing avalanchey stuff with TBA, and got roped into flagging for a while sunday.
http://mule.smugmug.com/Snowmobiles/20140104/
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=30723

I am a Snowmobiler!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > RACING