Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA

Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 AM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

And while everything is apart this far, it's a good idea to remove the spider from the primary clutch and clean & regrease the clutch roller bearing. If it gets dirty enough it can sieze to the fixed sheave shaft and your SOL.

I have the spider tool & holding fixture if anyone in the Anchorage area would like to borrow it.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

More on the transmission. The gears aren't aligned well and the reverse chain doesn't run completely straight. There's quite a bit of slop behind the inner most bearing on the input shaft. Had about .022-.025 play. Put a .015 shim behind the bearing which took just enough play out. The gears and chain are aligned better and not only does it spin great but it's quiet.

You can see the natural wear marks and how the gears don't align well and chain runs slightly off.

It's the input shaft that the secondary clutch is on that gets shimmed outward.

.015 shim in place

Another view(covered in Lucas additive)

Steel washer in place to keep the lower output shaft out of the case. I believe it was around .020.

Main drive chain. Links were stiff and packed(and I mean absolutely packed) with extra Polaris case sealant in between the links. My coworkers was identical. I tried everything to free it up and no luck so spent the $60 and bought a new chain.

Chains aren't suppose to do this.

You can see the links are spread apart.

New chain, the way a chain should be.

And done. Lengthy write up but I hope it helps shed light on some of the short comings of the transmission and how to fix them(as much as possible anyway).

These are interesting to me, so if anyone blows their tranny I'd like to have it before it gets thrown away. I'd really like to open a few more up.

Last edited by SNWMBL; 12-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Prospect

Clayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from ARClayton Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post

These are interesting to me, so if anyone blows their tranny I'd like to have it before it gets thrown away. I'd really like to open a few more up.
I'm sure you have a day job, but there are probably guys out there that would pay to have their trans gone through by someone as knowledgeable as you to the Polaris shortcomings.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I've got a junk tranny and a junk front dif that you are most welcome to have. Thanks for sharing your findings with the rest of us. Sure wish these things were built the way they should have been to begin with.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
I'm sure you have a day job, but there are probably guys out there that would pay to have their trans gone through by someone as knowledgeable as you to the Polaris shortcomings.
I sold the Ranger a few months ago and moved on to a RZR XP4 1K. Having said that, I got a business license and LLC and can rebuild transmissions if requested.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Just Got Here

Vance in AK is an unknown quantity at this point

Man I wish you could bring the pics back to this thread... It was amazing!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA