Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 AM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I think I understand what your saying about the banding and the boots being to short , but , it sounds like their not banding them tight enough, is it a single wrap ? . There's no way those boots should be able to pull off with the proper banding tension . The trick would be to not over tighten because that banding double wrapped would cut those boots in half .

Possible a flat piece of raw hide neatly wrapped around the boot than banded would be the fix . The banding should be tight enough to help keep the hide dry . Might be easier than trying to find the proper boot ?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I get what you are saying Hawk. The outer stub sits inside a hole in the hub. It is very limited space inside that hole. The stock band is a single flat stainless wrap. The crimp is very flat. I serious doubt there is room in there for any other style of clamp much less a double wrap or the rawhide. Just a poor design. As much travel as there is in those independant a arms, they are just plain stretched to the end when sitting on the floor. When you take the weight off of one of the tires and have it hanging in the air, the axleshaft angle really gets crazy. There just isnt enough stretch in the boots to allow for this repeatedly.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:58 AM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

OK , there lies the problem , single banding is not good for any kind of flexing . I also use single bands normally ranging from 1" to 3" and is very easy to weaken .

Good conversation
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Prospect

broncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from AR
broncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The fan being on when hitting water and breaking fan blades like everyone has mentioned.

The other issue I have noticed on them is the front shocks are valved way to softly and the springs are too soft. This allows the front suspension to bottom out when it should not. Once that starts happening the shock bump stops split and fall out. Then your 27's start rubbing on the fender well and can break the plastic.

You can either upgrade the springs. Pull the shock apart and replace the bump stop with a small Kong dog toy(indestructible!). Or add the spring spacers Polaris has for 4 wheelers running snow plows.

The XTR's are a great all around tire! The swamp lites do amazing in mud but rip up muskeg in a hurry. So if you need to be able to get in and out of a muskeg area several times I would not buy them.

Do not get the Polaris branded winches! They are made in China and you can not get repair parts for them. Get the Warn winch! The multi mount winch is neat but when you need it on the rear you have it mounted on the front and the rear receiver is now a foot under the mud Also don't drive into things (trees, alders, creek banks, etc) when the multi mount winch is mounted up front. Things start getting broken on them.

The CV boots do slip off and or come loose which is a pain and something you have to keep an eye on all the time.

Amazing machine that can go all over the place!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

X2 on the warn vs polaris winch. Polaris USED to be a warn with a different sticker. They are now junk imo. Ive got the warn. I also agree with the front springs/shocks. My 27's didnt take long to "make room" for themselves by breaking out some plastic lol. I love my 6x6. Even though its had some issues out of the box.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 AM
REBEL

Just for sh!ts and giggles , nothing runs like a deere . The liquifire ....... different story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r4b013204_825s4-DS_764x458.jpg (95.4 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg r4d049361_825i-DS_764x458.jpg (92.4 KB, 302 views)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Prospect

zachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from ARzachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from ARzachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from ARzachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from ARzachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from ARzachwrench Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Just build the 6 wheel drive sami I'm sure you know its better too build than buy a corporate rip off headache

Last edited by zachwrench; 03-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Prospect

AkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from ARAkS144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I would get the Mudlite XTR's and skip the Swamplites, a buddy of mine has them on one of his Ranchers and they seem to get stuck a lot in the mud. You can fix those cv boot issues pretty easily, just go to NAPA and get their boot straps and pinch tool, I did this with my Foreman and my F250 and no more boot issues.

I've had a set of the Mudlite XL's on my Foreman since I bought it in 04 and they've still got a lot of tread left on them with over 4k miles on the machine.

Just picked up an 09 Rhino 700 efi with the Mudlite XTR's and can't wait to take it for a ride.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Just Got Here

1969 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default E brake

The other issue is the E brake pads stock ones will go away quickly. There is a bronze aftermarket pad set believe HHP carries them.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
The other issue is the E brake pads stock ones will go away quickly. There is a bronze aftermarket pad set believe HHP carries them.
Good call! I forgot about that one. I burnt up my e brake with less than 20 miles on it. Caleb, look at the top of the caliber. It it totally wide open and exposed. Get in some mud that has gravel in it and the rocks will get packed in the caliper and not allow the brake to fully release. Need to fab up a small shield that goes over the top of the caliper to prevent this. Not a hard fix.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA