Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA

Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Ranger 6x6

Looking to get a 2014 ranger 6x6 in the next couple months. Wondering if anyone on here owns one or wheels with one. What do you think of them? Any common problems/issues to fix right away? From everything I've read online they sound pretty reliable aside from rare issues with the transmissions.

What tires are you guys running? I'd want something in at least 27" and minimum 6-ply. I'd like to do offset a-arms on all six and run 30's if the 6x will hold up.

I want to build a nice aluminum rack for the back with a cover, load up gear and do some exploring/ more hunting this summer. There's a lot of the state I haven't seen yet.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I have a 2013 Ranger 6x6 that I used quite alot last summer exploring our great state. While I do love the machine, its not without its problems.

First to the tires. My dealer told me full factory warranty for tires up to 27". Anything larger and you will void your warrenty for the entire drive system. If that is an issue, that's good to know. With that said, I put a set of 27" itp xtr's on it. They are a smooth riding aggressive 6ply tire. I did however manage 2 flat tires with them in one summer. One was a 16p nail that wound up inside the tire. I sure wish we could still buy the old itp 589'S!

Next issue is the axles. Ive had no issues with the front axle shafts. Those are the ones most guys snap the outer cv joints when hardcore wheeling. I did however in one summer manageto pop 6 rear and center outer cv boots off of the outer large ends. I didnt tear any! They all just popped off. One trip I managed to break the outer cv joints on both rear axle shafts after the boots broke before I could get back to the road.

Plastic radiator fan. I broke one of those. I am told that is fair common for those that use them hard. The issue is when the fan is running with a warm motor, and you enter a cold river crossing. It can and will crack a fan blade. Man those thing shake and vibrate with one cracked blade! I am installing a toggle switch inline on the fan so that I can shut it off regardless of engine temp for deep water crossings in the future. That should end that issue.

It is an incredible piece of machine and amazing where the thing will go! They sure aren't the fastest thing on the trail. But man. Its crazy just where they will take you and comfortable doing it. Mine is my old man rig. Hard cab. Heater/defrosters. Lots of rigid led lights. Gun racks. Bring an extra charge battery with you or install a second one on an isolator. No starting one in the backcountry without a charged battery. Too often with these rigs you are running alone.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I stopped by the dealer after work and I'll probably put a deposit down on one at the end of the month. Should get me a unit by the end of April/beginning of May.

I've read about the fan/water crossing issues. This is easily solved by installing a toggle switch like you mentioned.

Talked to the dealer about the axle shafts and they said most of the problems they've seen are from people backing up with the wheels turned and in a bind. This is really no different than wheeling a truck with lockers, but I will buy an extra front & rear shaft to throw in the toolbox just in case. I've also read about bent tie rods so I'm thinking either sleeve the stock ones or build some from leftover 4130 I have. I've always carried spare for my Big Boss.

I will install/bring a second battery. I think this goes for just about any dedicated off-road toy.

The CV boot issues you're having sound like they could be resolved with a better clamp. Have you tried any alternatives? I didn't look today to see what style of clamp they have.

The XTR tires look nice. The dealer said they really like swamp lites and will still honor full factory warranty with 27's. Whatever tires I get I'm going to get an extra set of rims so in the winter I can run the factory tires/wheels with chains for getting to the cabin.

What are you running for a winch setup? I'm thinking a multi-mount setup would be the way to go.

I appreciate the info. I want to make sure I get it setup right before I hit the first trail. Hate breaking down in the back country and not having the right spare parts/tools.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I wouldn't mess with the multi winch. As much $$$$ as you have tied up in that rig, spend the extra coin and mount a winchon each end and be done with it
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM
REBEL

Damn phone locked up.

You wont regret the separate winches. Not sure if the swamp lites are the same as mud lites. But the mud lites have very weak sidewalls and rip open very easy. Great tire. Just not in the sticks/downed Beatle kill or rocks.

Sounds like you've done your homework. I know you've built alot of badass toys. Both wheels and tracks. As to the clamps on the boots, I havent come up with a good solution for them....yet. I havent found an aftermarket clamp that's better than stock. Very little room inside the hub that it slides inside of. I think the problem lies in the fact the boots are stretched tight. The could use some extra lentgh. One more fold in the accordion and I doubt you'd ever pull one off. Now that mine is out of warrenty, next boot that pulls loose im going to try and use a cement to glue it on the outer stub then put the clamp on.Its only the four in
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 PM
REBEL

The rear. I havent pull a front apart yet. Like you said, you can break the fronts out of anything if you try. Dont rod on them with the wheel turned full lock. There are some much stronger axles made for them. Not sure that they are needed. Just a better boot. Feel free to shout at me for any other questions.
Tim
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Prospect

pray4snow Has earned a rub and tug from ARpray4snow Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Surprised

Dude, I am surprised you aren't just building a custom 215# Ti tube version with twin turbos from scratch…..
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

theultrarider ,Do you think it would be possible to band them with a banding tool ? Stainless steel that you can get in different widths , unbelieveable death grip that doesn't have to be tighten that tight .
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
theultrarider ,Do you think it would be possible to band them with a banding tool ? Stainless steel that you can get in different widths , unbelieveable death grip that doesn't have to be tighten that tight .
Hawk, that's pretty much what the factory clamps are. I dont believe the issue lies with the clamp. The boots are just too short and pull too tight. Id like to find a boot with the correct id's that are an inch longer. I believe that would end the issue. Until then, I going to try some adhesive to help out the bands.

Ive made a point at looking at other 6x6 Rangers when I come across then and look at the boots on the center and rear axles. Most have one or more popped off. Most owners dont know it. The cv's will be short lived if left open to mud water and rocks.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray4snow View Post
Dude, I am surprised you aren't just building a custom 215# Ti tube version with twin turbos from scratch…..
Funny, I actually have a pile of Mutt 151 diffs in my garage. I'm planning to build a lightweight, all IFS 6 wheel drive Samurai on 34" ags but I want something to use for the 2-3 years it will realistically take me to build the Sami.

Quote:
Not sure if the swamp lites are the same as mud lites. But the mud lites have very weak sidewalls and rip open very easy.
Swamp Lites are made by Interco. I wouldn't touch Mud Lites, all I've been reading are comments about how weak the sidewalls are.

Maybe it'd be worth pulling the boot and seeing if Napa or Auto Zone can match one that's just a little bit longer? I could check, I'm going to have to pull an axle at home anyway just to get familiar with the procedure and what tools I'll need to swap one in the field.

I'm responding to your PM now Tim.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA