Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM
REBEL

John Has earned a rub and tug from ARJohn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 2000 F350PS starter bolts backing out...

Son in law has a 2000 F350 PS that we installed a starter on a while back. The bolts keep backing out, which is strange so we used some red Locktite and it held for a while but now they are doing it again. Anyone else have this happen? Thinking red and some lock washers?? Do they make anything stronger than red? Would we want to use it if they do…
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
REBEL

Loudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Loudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Gorilla glue, they'll never come out. Lol

07 X-RS, SHR860R, aftermarket this, modified that blah blah blah......sold
07 X-RS, SHR800R.....sold
06 summit-X, SHR 800HO, big wheels, big track, still not fast.....sold

2005 CR500AF, ported, polished, and built by me.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

Was it run for a while with the starter loose? I'm wondering if there are some cracks in the adapter between the motor and trans (which I believe is where the threads are) that are allowing the bolts to vibrate loose with engine vibration even if tightened up to spec.
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R
Plus snow and dirt toys for the kiddos too

Honey badger would approve this message, but he don't give a sh!t.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I had the exact opposite happen. Starter took a crap, & snapped of 1 of the 3 bolts that hold it in. Red locktite with lock washers Id think would cure your problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKcowboy View Post
Was it run for a while with the starter loose? I'm wondering if there are some cracks in the adapter between the motor and trans (which I believe is where the threads are) that are allowing the bolts to vibrate loose with engine vibration even if tightened up to spec.
It was.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

I'd look real close at the bolt holes for wallered out threads and inspect the adapter plate for any cracks. Might be a heli-coil type repair job in your future.
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R

Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKcowboy View Post
I'd look real close at the bolt holes for wallered out threads and inspect the adapter plate for any cracks. Might be a heli-coil type repair job in your future.
Chit! That's what I figured when he called this morning. Thanks for confirming my worst fear! This common on these? Makes me happy the GMC is in my driveway...
Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Not any more common on those than any other rig. Just a poor mechanic once upon a time in the life of that rig.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
Not any more common on those than any other rig. Just a poor mechanic once upon a time in the life of that rig.
No need to get personal about it! I'm going to pull it off, douche it out with brake cleaner, take a good look at it and re-assemble with plenty-o-red and lock washers.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 PM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Chit! That's what I figured when he called this morning. Thanks for confirming my worst fear! This common on these? Makes me happy the GMC is in my driveway...
Like Tim said it's not common but not unheard of. I've been driving 7.3's since early 2008 and I've never had a problem on any of the 3 that I've owned. The threads are in aluminum though so they are easily damaged.
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R

Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION