Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > PROJECT REBEL PRO

PROJECT REBEL PRO BCR Project Sled

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Arrow PROJECT PRO GETS A 3" and C3 BELT DRIVE

Ok.. So first and for most I have to thank:

Tracks USA http://www.tracksusa.com/

C3 Powersportshttps://www.c3powersports.com/home

Oregon Trail Sports http://www.oregontrailsports.com/

After deciding I wanted to put a 3" track under Project Rebel.. I knew (after talking with some people) that to do so reliably, it was going to need either a tensionor on the stock belt or a whole new belt drive setup. There are many options out there for this. I went with C3 for their track record with their kits. They have been in the belt drive game for quite a while with great success.

For the track.. it was easy.. TracksUSA has always been amazing to work with and getting this track from them was no different.

To complete the project, I also needed to get 7tooth 3" pitch drivers. For this I went to Michelle @ Oregon Trail Sports as she has some of the best prices and customer service in the industry.

I didn't get time to take a bunch of install pics and they were pretty straight forward. But I will walk you through whats required.

First remove stock suspension, drive shaft and track

Next being a crucial part is pressing your old drivers off the drive shaft and pushing your new 7T drivers on. Make lots of measurements and take your time to get it right (its saves you time in the long run #trustme)

Ok next is by far the most difficult part of the install. Getting the track in the tunnel and installing the drive shaft. With the tighter tolerances because of the 3" track it is extremely difficult to get the shaft to line up properly with the mag side tunnel bearing. After lots of cussing a few beers (which usually fixes all) I actually had to stop and call some people on the best way to do it..
There are a few options out there:
1. use a giant pry bar to flex the tunnel just enough to get shaft to line up properly
2. use a large bolt (same threads as bottom gear bolt) and a large washer to pull the shaft through the bearing
3. pull the bearing, install shaft, reinstall bearing

I choose the 3rd option for my install, as it seemed the safest. Also spayed down the top teeth on drivers and the track with windex so the teeth wouldn't grab the track as bad.

This method worked extremely well, and was quite simple if you have the correct size socket, snap ring pliers and a brass punch for bearing removal/install..

The rest is pretty straight forward.. Just re-installing the rear skid and setting proper track tension.. Project Rebel already had trimmed suspension rails as it already had anti-ratchets installed... If you have stock drivers you WILL need to trim your rails, unless you buy track/driver setup for Carls Cycle (they use a center window driver)

Now for the C3 Powersports belt drive install:

It is pretty straight forward also, and the instructions are spot on for whats required. The only thing I would do different is completely uninstall my turbo housings next time. I worked around them, but was kinda PITA. (* if you have a 2013 boondocker tial setup this belt drive WILL NOT work, you will need the new 2014 boondocker tial exhaust for the proper clearance).

There is one stock bolt you have to remove to install the tensionor holder which does require some heating. Mine actually took quite a bit of heat before it let loose.

Once you have set correct "cold" belt tension you are good to go.. Make sure to clean up the bellypan area good (you can see mine is quite messy from drilling rivets out on my running boards)

If you are putting on the C3 and have a boondocker turbo.. Also invest in a 15mm gearwrench with flexhead. You can actually adjust the belt tension by just removing the fender bolt. It takes a little practice, but way easier than uninstalling half the turbo setup to adjust belt tension. For those installing it without turbo, it wont be an issue.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

PRODUCT REVIEW

3" TRACK FROM TRACKSUSA

These things are amazing, they hookup unreal. It does cause the sled to run a little warmer on the trail, however taking it easy on the trail is well worth the added benefit. I also installed the same track on a 2012 which is basically stock. It still has plenty of power to turn it, and works amazing also.. Having to run 7tooth drivers does cause the track to be pretty tight to the front of the suspension as it sits in the shop floor. However, I could not tell a difference in rolling resistance on the snow.

C3 BELT DRIVE

AMAZING.. I have had to adjust tension on it twice on the first couple of rides, since then its been spot on. Really can't tell any difference from stock as I went with stock gearing ratio (they have a bunch you can pick from). I was pretty nice on it the first day, however have been bad hard on it since trying to get a failure (as i would rather have it happen close to home then on a big trip) and shows no signs of wear. I would encourage anybody with a stock belt drive to put one on.. If nothing else just add their tensionor setup on stock belt.. It will eliminate a lot of problems for you in the long run.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

rebel does that kit use it's own belt or stock? is it a beefier belt then stock
Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Du View Post
rebel does that kit use it's own belt or stock? is it a beefier belt then stock
Its an aftermarket Gates belt.. Bout half price of stock belt.. and suppose to be stronger.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM
REBEL

Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

On the C3 belt drive, do you change the top or bottom cog to get desired gear ratio?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
REBEL

RMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from AR
RMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from ARRMK-King Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Any reason for going with the outside drivers instead of the center punched 3" track?
Member #108

'16 Axys RMK 800
Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK-King View Post
Any reason for going with the outside drivers instead of the center punched 3" track?
Yes.. The center punched 3" is a Carls Cycle exclusive. They payed for the molds to be created for this sled and in turn are the only ones who get to sell it. I contacted both Carls Cycle and TracksUSA when I was looking for the 3", TracksUSA was the only one to contact me back. In the end when you do the math, its a wash as to which option to go with. I've installed and ridden both, no real advantage to either besides you don't have to cut rails on the center, however we are used to cutting them for anti stabs in years past.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 PM
REBEL

FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

You can get the center punched track through Tracks USA as we'll.
HD Street Glide
Legend enclosed (The Toy Box)

Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > PROJECT REBEL PRO