Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV

Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
"that didn't really happen did it?"

EricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AR
EricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default '14 850 Polaris with tracks......

Bought a scoot and had some tracks put on. Had many ATV's but never the tracks. The steering radius sucks big time. Is this normal or do I possible have an install problem. Driving into the front of my 29' enclosed it will just barely make the turn against the far wall. I will get it out in the field in the next day or two and measure the actual radius. Many of the back country trails that I would ride will take 3 point turns. Is this true with all tracked ATV's or is this a Polaris thing? Thanks in advance. EW
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Nope, they suck to turn. Also the gear reduction in the tracks vs wheels is a lot slower, which kills the fun factor. Works good though for utility use but that's about it.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I have heard they take a huge area to turn around. what track system did you get? I would like to get a set for my ranger
Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 AM

EricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I asked for Tatpu 4s based on advice of friends. The framework has Polaris OEM stickers on it so maybe a Polaris part made by Tatou??? Maybe Polaris made their own framework and ran Tatou tracks. I'm not sure. Bought kinda sight unseen and haven't had time to follow up or even ride it other than into the trailer. I'll update as I learn. EW
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 AM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

yes Polaris switched track systems as of this yr and now are using camoplast tatou system. I have done a lot of research and you want last yrs or newer tatous with the beefed up bearings, so you have the good ones.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Wow........even a blind squirrel gets an Acorn once in a while. Thanks for the info Blu, I hardly ever get it right, I wonder if me relying on chance and not my superior knowledge had anything to do with it. Lol. EW
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

I'm no expert, but some quad track systems must be capable of higher speeds..

I see frequently a tracked side-by-side on my lake that really hauls azz.
he must be going close to 30MPH going back and forth to a fish house at the opposite length of the bay I'm on.

This bay is 1.5mile X 1.25mile.
This rig usually runs quite a distance away from my shore, so I can't really tell what the UTV and tracks are. Dark color with canvas cab on it.

Two nights ago, about 10: PM I see a flashing blue strobe lite on something moving fast down the lake.
At first I thought is might be some kind of emergency vehicle.
Nope. I stepped out on the deck to have a better look.

Same UTV, haulin' azz, because I can see which beach and yard it pulls into, opposite side of the bay from me.

Would be curious to know what the set up is.

Last edited by Snowizard; 12-29-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
REBEL

so what is the report EW?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Bottom Line.......it IS a lot of fun. It is a different kind of fun from the boosted chute pulls and chest deep powder but it is a blast to ride. At 51 maybe I'm stuck somewhere between " I've built/crashed my last boosted sled, and, I'm not quite ready for a bowling jacket yet". I haven't gotten a bunch of miles yet due to conditions, year end book work, and the crud. What I have noticed so for is that it really will go a lot of places on snow that would never think an ATV would.

I don't see it as a long pull up a steep grade kind of ride but it will start and stop and weave through terrain at slower speeds where a sled would sink for sure. As far as climbs, it is really crazy how steep it will go on a short bank or cliff. Even loading into a taller pickup with a short ramp is no issue at all other than it feels to the rider like it should be tippy being that vertical but it's not. The foot print of the rear tracks and the amount of track extended beyond the rear axle really makes it a stable ride compared to tires that seem designed to pivot over backwards.

I adjusted the front steering cable stops to spec and it does steer much better. Like any other ride, set up seems to be important. I have yet to spend a long day on it or burn a tank on one trip but so far so good. I think this think will get a lot of use between now and when I start carving wooden ducks. Lol. I'll post up some pics once I get a good day on it in good conditions. EW
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
REBEL

well your not really old until you buy a ranger with a cab and heat and wonder why you ever rode a snowmobile before. are the tracks very loud?
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV