Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > POLARIS > 440/IQR/PRO-X SECTION

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM

xltmod76 Has earned a reach around from Rebel
Default 440 bottom end possibilities

hello i have not posted on here in a while and some of you where wondering how the progress on my iqr build was going but i have unfortunately almost completely parted it out and i am left with a good 05 440 iqr bottom end i want to have a cool motor for a future project i have brewing in my head and would like to know if i could put 600 cylinders and head on it and if so would i have to use the timing dial and 440 wiring harness?

suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM

ice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Yes you can, the 440 crank has a shorter stroke so you have to machine down the case or the cylinders about 3mm i think, and at that point it is not a 600 but rather a 550 i believe. It will but more stress on the pistons but that may not be a big problem. I have also heard that you can put the H.O. top end on it and that will make it 600 but i am not sure. you will have to get the cdi reprogrammed by polaris racing or get a 600.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Just Got Here

AKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Yes you can, the 440 crank has a shorter stroke so you have to machine down the case or the cylinders about 3mm i think, and at that point it is not a 600 but rather a 550 i believe. It will but more stress on the pistons but that may not be a big problem. I have also heard that you can put the H.O. top end on it and that will make it 600 but i am not sure. you will have to get the cdi reprogrammed by polaris racing or get a 600.
Wow. LOL

To the OP:

The 440 and 600 have the same stroke but the 440 has shorter rods. 600 cylinders will fit on the 440 cases but the cases have to be machined. You will need to machine some off the deck to compensate for the shorter 440 rod and you will have to enlarge the case so the 600 cylinder skirts fit.

So, the good news is:

A 440 can be made into a 600 using 600 pistons and cylinders as long as you have the upper case half machined. You can have the 440 CDI remapped by the Race Dept for optimal performance. You can retain the timing dial if you want. The motor will be the same displacement as a 600HO.

The bad news is:

Parts for this conversion won't be cheap. You will need to buy cylinders, pistons, cylinder head, cyl head cover, exhaust valves, ev housings carb boots, carbs, Y-Pipe, pipe, and all the necessary gaskets and orings and crank seals. You will also want to machine the cases for oil injection and add check valves and an oil pump because the late model 440's were not intended to be a high mileage trail motor. If you want reverse you will need to buy the correct CDI and flywheel for a 600. You will likely spend in excess of $2000 for all these parts and the needed machine work unless you buy a lot of used junk. In the end you will end up with a 600HO except it will have less crank case volume and it will have a worse rod to stroke ratio so it will not perform quite as well as a 600HO nor will it be as durable.

And the really bad news is.

Your '06 440 is likely on the last 500-800 miles of it's life. These motors were never known for long term reliability and without oil injection from early on your lower rod bearings and center water pump bearings and gears are very likely worn to or past their service life.

You are much better off trying to find a 600HO from a IQ, Fusion or RMK and start with that. Even if you have to give $2000 for the motor you will be money ahead.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 AM

ice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from ARice Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Wow. LOL

To the OP:

The 440 and 600 have the same stroke but the 440 has shorter rods. 600 cylinders will fit on the 440 cases but the cases have to be machined. You will need to machine some off the deck to compensate for the shorter 440 rod and you will have to enlarge the case so the 600 cylinder skirts fit.

So, the good news is:

A 440 can be made into a 600 using 600 pistons and cylinders as long as you have the upper case half machined. You can have the 440 CDI remapped by the Race Dept for optimal performance. You can retain the timing dial if you want. The motor will be the same displacement as a 600HO.

The bad news is:

Parts for this conversion won't be cheap. You will need to buy cylinders, pistons, cylinder head, cyl head cover, exhaust valves, ev housings carb boots, carbs, Y-Pipe, pipe, and all the necessary gaskets and orings and crank seals. You will also want to machine the cases for oil injection and add check valves and an oil pump because the late model 440's were not intended to be a high mileage trail motor. If you want reverse you will need to buy the correct CDI and flywheel for a 600. You will likely spend in excess of $2000 for all these parts and the needed machine work unless you buy a lot of used junk. In the end you will end up with a 600HO except it will have less crank case volume and it will have a worse rod to stroke ratio so it will not perform quite as well as a 600HO nor will it be as durable.

And the really bad news is.

Your '06 440 is likely on the last 500-800 miles of it's life. These motors were never known for long term reliability and without oil injection from early on your lower rod bearings and center water pump bearings and gears are very likely worn to or past their service life.

You are much better off trying to find a 600HO from a IQ, Fusion or RMK and start with that. Even if you have to give $2000 for the motor you will be money ahead.

Good luck.

Sorry, the small block ves has a shorter stroke, the HO has the same stroke i think, but the small block motors (a lot easier to convert) have a shorter stroke. if you do the ho conversion it will put more stress on the piston and cylinder sidewalls than a small block ves conversion and will demand more machine work. with a small block top you can use the same carbs and reeds, the original exhaust can be used but not the Y-pipe. But it is a lot cheaper to get a 600 ho and it will also run longer.

Last edited by ice; 12-01-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Rckranger Has earned a rub and tug from ARRckranger Has earned a rub and tug from ARRckranger Has earned a rub and tug from ARRckranger Has earned a rub and tug from ARRckranger Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I have a complete 2008 iqr upper end cylinders exhaust valves head and head cover and a set of used pistons all parts are in really good shape
Old 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Just Got Here

AKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKIQPilot Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Sorry, the small block ves has a shorter stroke, the HO has the same stroke i think, but the small block motors (a lot easier to convert) have a shorter stroke. if you do the ho conversion it will put more stress on the piston and cylinder sidewalls than a small block ves conversion and will demand more machine work. with a small block top you can use the same carbs and reeds, the original exhaust can be used but not the Y-pipe. But it is a lot cheaper to get a 600 ho and it will also run longer.
Ok. I want to be perfectly clear here.

The Liberty 440 built from 1998 through 2007 has a 64mm stroke and a 66mm bore. There were many changes to the motor from '98 to '07 but the bore and stroke remained the same. An IQr 440 has a 64mm stroke and a 66mm bore.

A Liberty 600 Small Block, commonly referred to as a 600VES or a 600HO has a 64mm stroke and a 77.25mm bore. The 600VES was found in the ProX, Indy Classic, Indy XC/SP, etc. The 600HO was introduced in the 2006 model year in the 600 Fusion, 600 RMK and 600 Switchback. The 600HO still has the same exact bore and stroke as the 600VES. The cases, cylinders, head, etc were all changed with the 600HO but the bore and stroke remained the same as the earlier Small Block 600VES.

So in conclusion. 600 cylinders and pistons from a 600VES or a 600HO can be bolted to a IQr 440 bottom end and still retain the same 599cc's as the 600 Small Block. But machine work must be done for it to actually run.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > POLARIS > 440/IQR/PRO-X SECTION