Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > YAMAHA

Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM

LostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 1984 Yamaha SS440 revival help

I picked up an 84 ss440 this summer, cowling and track are in good shape but it needed to be cleaned up and have the primary rebuilt/replaced. I've been doing as much reading as I can on these sleds for several months and from what I've come up with, I plan to replace the keihin butterfly carb with a round slide mikuni. I read the performance two stroke tuning book that was recommended on here and from what I gathered from that, I may see better results by buying a 36mm and bore it to the largest diameter bore possible without exceeding the diameter of the slide. I've pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it, replaced the in tank pickup filter, am going to use a torch and "bake" the exhuast as best I can to try to get the 30 year old gunk out. Id like to do some polishing on the intake manifold aswell. I've already got a studded 121" track and am going to swap in an xtra 10 I've already got. I'm considering deleting the oil injection as well just to keep things simple. My main question is this:

To put a P85 primary from a polaris on this, I believe the taper on the crank is the same. But how will this work with the stock secondary that's on the SS? Would it be best to find a P85 off a mid 90's 440 so that the weights and spring are setup relatively close to the power of the SS and weren't designed to work with a roller secondary?

What else would you yamaha guys recommend on these little fanners? I'm not looking to build a drag sled out of this, just wake it up a bit for a fun change up from the newer sleds. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.4 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by LostIn207; 11-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Just get it running and ride it, you can spend 100 hours and gain 3 hp. Cut the muffler in half and strip the gauze out of it, that made a huge difference on the old Exciters.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 AM

LostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLostIn207 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

But tinkering is half the fun for me
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Just Got Here

nddoublea77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a 83 ss440 myself. It came in pieces and the skid that came with it is the polaris xtra10. I want to use it with a 121 track. Have you figured out the mounting hole locations yet? Also what exactly is the muffler mod? thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM

This should get you what you need for the skid. I'm not aware of a muffler mod, I want to heat up the expansion chamber with a torch to try to burn any oil residue/ carbon out. Aaen does make a pipe for these but at around $440, it's a lot more than I'd want to give

http://www.jbshocks.com/x10mount.jpg
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
REBEL

Ridgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Ridgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Hyflyer has on that he races up here in Alaska. I'd PM him for tech tips!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 PM
REBEL

Ridgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Ridgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from ARRidgerat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Oooops thats HYFLYR!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
REBEL

tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

That SS is a 1983 (blue/silver) the 84s went to silver/black/orange if I remember right. My parents bought one of those brand new (and a 83 SRV too) when we lived in Gillette WY growing up. Great sled that we put a lot of miles on in the Black Hills and Big Horns.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:13 AM

Yes you're right, I referenced the VIN and it is an 83. I wound up picking up a primary from a first gen phazer. The air box had broken and sucked some of the plastic frags through the carb and into the recoil side reed cage. Hopefully it wasn't run like this for long. Thanks for the input so far guys
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > YAMAHA