Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > AVALANCHE INFORMATION

Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Prospect

DaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from ARDaveB Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheSafetyDude View Post
BUT....NEVER take more risks just because you have an airbag on your back. There's no guarantee that you'll be okay, it's just an extra tool to help in case of an accident.
This is the part I have to drill into my thick skull. I am specifically thinking of an instance last year where we sat and looked at a slope and decided it was dangerous and never went on it. We stared at it and talked about it and dug up the snow for about 20 minutes...we WANTED to go there, but didn't in the end. I hope this pack doesn't tilt my judgement the other way a tad.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
This is the part I have to drill into my thick skull. I am specifically thinking of an instance last year where we sat and looked at a slope and decided it was dangerous and never went on it. We stared at it and talked about it and dug up the snow for about 20 minutes...we WANTED to go there, but didn't in the end. I hope this pack doesn't tilt my judgement the other way a tad.
When in DOUBT....move OUT. I dont second guess slopes anymore. If I dont feel comfortable, or it just doesnt look quite right, I move on. Its just NOT WORTH THE RISK.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Prospect

LucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from ARLucasMX358 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Not sure on Avy classes in my area, is there videos or somethign i can get sent to my home for more knowledge? Last year was my first year riding, i ride with very experienced ppl, but not to say there gonna be there all the time. I read all the stuff i can, but if you can mail or if theres a class near by and a date/price i'd def be interested! Thanks for all the info!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 PM
AVALANCHE EXPERT

AvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMX358 View Post
Not sure on Avy classes in my area, is there videos or somethign i can get sent to my home for more knowledge? Last year was my first year riding, i ride with very experienced ppl, but not to say there gonna be there all the time. I read all the stuff i can, but if you can mail or if theres a class near by and a date/price i'd def be interested! Thanks for all the info!
Mike Duffy might be doing a class this year close to you. He travels the country and does classes all season. Visit Avalanche1.com and you can get in touch with him and see when his next/closest class is in your area. I don't have any movies that teach a class, the only ones I have are more about using the beacon, airbag, shovel/probe, etc. There are several basic instructional videos for snowmobilers and avalanches on youtube. Or your local avalanche center usually has a list of good videos to watch. Just try to get one directed to sledders, the skier videos have a bunch of stuff that doesn't really apply to us snowmobilers. Let me know if you need any other information.
www.SnowBigDeal.com
1-877-SNOW-BIG - Toll Free
1-435-462-7667 - Direct

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL U.S. ORDERS!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
"Little Creep"

TROUT HUNTER has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMX358 View Post
There are some online courses that have vids, etc that I will see if I can dig up for you. I know I went through atleast one the last couple of years. They were great.

Found this one real fast for you, I believe it was the one that I reviewed many times last winter

http://ocw.usu.edu/Forest__Range__an...snow-dynamics/

Last edited by TROUT HUNTER; 11-30-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Prospect

Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Anyone know of any snowmobile specific Avalanche classes in Western WA this year?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
"This is all my fault"

Twisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLP
Twisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLPTwisted Boost Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmoherb View Post
Anyone know of any snowmobile specific Avalanche classes in Western WA this year?
Saw another thread ...... Hold please..... Yup there it is Herb....

http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=17226

Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Prospect

Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thanks, I did see that and am planning on going, but I guess I should have been more specific...

I'm looking for a Level 1 Avalanche class geared towards sledders. Just trying to up my game this year and get even more prepared!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Prospect

Exclamation Avalanche Level 1 Classes

Here's a list of Level 1 Avalanche course providers by state. Most of them are geared towards backcountry skiers and snowboarders, would be awesome if there were some geared towards sledders...

2014 Polaris Industries 800 PRO-RMK® 163 LE Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange

2008 M8 162 Geo Mod, Holz revalve with dual rate spring, EVOL air chamber added

2002 800 RMK for backup *edit* blown up parts sled

WSSA
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
"Virgin Destroyer"

xpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLP
xpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLPxpspenziv Offical PLP

ABS wasn't at are snow show. I need to get mine ready to go. It has a yellow bottle. There is no valve or regulator. Sealed sys. So do I need to send in the pack?

2015 T3 summit X 163-3 inch Roosterbuilt R&D machine. The Trainer.

Crazy as a squirrel, nutty in the brain.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > AVALANCHE INFORMATION