Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION

Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Prospect

Vein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Alaska Enclosed Trailer Project

Wanted to share my summer project with everyone and get some feedback. I purchased a 2008 steel Haulmark 28Ft trailer last year and decided to get it ready for overnight sledding trips this winter.

This is how she looked when I purchased her last year.

I sealed the floor with a product called Deck restore. Great traction!

Floor done and the lower walls painted with red to add some "bling" Carbide Sled glides installed on the floor and Super clamp traction glides placed on the entry and exit ramps.

After much discussion and research I decided to use a product called "touch-n-Foam" and spray insulate the entire trailer. This was no easy task but I truly believe I should get a better level of insulation from the cold.

Walls Down

Power outlets installed before I spray.

Spray foam time!! This crap is messy and sticks to EVERYTHING!

Had foam left over so I sprayed the underside too.

Now with all that insulation I'm guessing a source of heat would be required. Purchased a 35K Suburban Furnace off of Ebay.

Propane and Power inlet.

115V comes into a breaker box then on to the outlets. Battery box has a "Genius Marine Charger" on the back so when 115V is applied I'm instantly tending the battery charge. 12V comes off the battery and connects to the wall via a Trolling Motor power plug that I installed. This allows the battery to quickly be removed and carried into the garage for warm storage when not in use.

Topped off the install with some LED lights inside and under the cabinet. The lights are wired into the switch by the door so everything comes on at one time.

Oh....Almost forgot. The custom boot and helmet racks are from NORRACKS online. Great Product!!

Thanks for looking /reading and feel free to fire away with comments and questions. This was my first enclosed trailer mod.

2013 Summit XM X 146 Etec
2013 Freeride 146 800R Etec
2009 Summit X 600 Etec
2008 Summit Adrenaline 600 SDI

http://www.youtube.com/user/tlakelaptop?feature=mhee

Last edited by Vein; 09-01-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add more comments
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Looks great and well thought out. I would run a length of sewer pipe down the side wall the length of the trailer from the furnace and down new the floor near the rear door. Really helps to keep even heat throughout the trailer. If you plan on many ovetnighters without a generator your may want to replace the single 12v battery with a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. They will last much much longer between charges. If using a generator, add 4, 4' fluorescent shop light on the ceiling mounted out towards the edges. You will love the light verses the feeling of being in a dungeon. All in all. Great work. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Also on the outside of the trailer wire in 2 27w led flood lights up high on and on the back of the trailer. Face it. Up here we are always loading and unloading in the dark. You can get a pkg of 4 off ebay for under $100. Then get the cheapest set of tiny halogen driving lights you can get and mount them low on the back of your trailer. These are for backup lights! So nice to be able to see behind your trailer in your mirrors in the dark. You will most likely have to run a wire up to the plug up on the hitch. But your tow rig should already be wired with a backup light wire in the factory wiring. These two features you will never go without once you've had them!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Prospect

AK SNO RIDER Has earned a reach around from Rebel

Okay seriously, that's a SICK trailer. Nicely done.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Nice!
With regards to the foam ... Did you have to trim down the foam/overspray before you put the plywood back on the inside?

I put the foil-backed iso board in mine because I didn't want to deal with the uncontrollable expansion of foam.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Prospect

Vein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from ARVein Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Mule,
I did need to trim some but not very much. Once the foam was hard it trimmed up very easy. I was very nervous about the over expansion too but knowing what I know now I would overspray and trim more.

Ultrarider,
Thanks for the tip on the external lights. I've been thinking about installing some loading lights. I've already fixed the inside "dungeon" effect. If you look at the ceiling you can see I installed 4 double light fixtures and 2 single. Each fixture contains a 5500K color LED light circuit board. Super bright and a very white light and reflects well off of the white walls. I'm also hoping that all the LED lights inside help in the battery life. Oh...the battery is a DieHard Platinum Marine Battery.

2013 Summit XM X 146 Etec
2013 Freeride 146 800R Etec
2009 Summit X 600 Etec
2008 Summit Adrenaline 600 SDI

http://www.youtube.com/user/tlakelaptop?feature=mhee
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Nice work , this kind of brings up a question that is a bit off track but why is it that the new trailers are putting LEDs' for tail lights ?
As an example , I have them in my day time driving lights and cab and they are super bright and my tail lights take two driving lights and I only replaced one each with an LED and in heavy snow conditions the LED lens part is completely snowed over while the incandescent bulbs are clean of snow . It doesn't matter that the LEDs are super bright but it is also the reason why I won't replace my brake lights with them . One more while the gears are grinding , why haven't they figured out a third brake light would be really nice on a trailer ?
The biggest problem you'll have Vein is when you walk out of the trailer you'll be blinded by black out
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM
REBEL

CATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Nice trailer. I did my 2013 mirage last year and ultrarider gave me some tips also. The 2- 6v golf car batteries is a must. Mine charge when pluged into the truck gen or shore power. If its 15-20 out side and you leave your heater on 65 that single 12v battery will be dead in hours.
Anchorage, Alaska

DJ Clutch kits
RotoPax Gas cans
C and A ski distributor
Black Diamond Extreme
Skinz silencers
VanAmburg Products
RSI bars/risers/grips
WPS dealer
Zbroz Suspension/Exit Shocks
Dynoport pipes
http://www.HybridColor.com
ArcticFX wrap dealer
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Prospect

m1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from ARm1kflyingtiger Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Looks amazig! im just getting started on my first one as well. Probably wont come out that nice for another year still though.

on regards to the Underside foam: I'm not too familiar with how that type of foam works with water, but you might want to look into coating it. I know a lot o the foam insulation here at work eventually breaks down a little, starts to soak up water and rusts out the metal under it.

On a side note, if that isn't a worry, what kind of foam is it? The bottom side of mine is currently uninsulated.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Prospect

Sneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Super Nice, where did you get the super glides? Are they slippery to walk on when wet? Im looking to do that to my trailer to save the plywood. Also, are those LED strips that you stick on? I was looking at the LED strip that has 3m adheisive that you just stick where ever you want, i was wondering how they would hold up from the drastic tempture changes. I am currently working on my trailer and will lkly be getting some of those glides at some point if they dont break the bank.

Nicely Done!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION