Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
REBEL

BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Any experience with a golfcart trailer for the sled?

Just got a pretty good deal on a tilt-load, golf cart trailer. Found it up on craigslist for $800. emailed the guy... "if you'll take $600, I'd like to come take a look." Got there and the little trailer was in excellent shape. 10 yrs. old. Locally manufactured, professionally. Kids dad owned it... but lived so close to the golf course, he hardly used it. Kid says he used it maybe 3 times in 3 yrs. for hauling small loads around town. Looks like it too.

It's about 4',4" wide (between rails) and 10' long. Has a hoist crank loading strap on the front, easy tilt lock-in latch and came with a mounted spare and two extra tires. I love the screen mesh floor... no major worries replacing wooden floor boards every year or so.

My sled's just under 11'. One of the first things I installed after picking up my sled was the reverse gear, so ride on/off isn't a real issue.
This should be perfect for hauling just myself and pulling with my yota pickup, instead of my old F250 guzzler. I'll save the "beast" for going out with others... I can potentially take 3 sleds out now, if someone's splittin' the gas bill. 2 on the bed (when i finish the hoist) and 1 on the trailer.

It's not the absolute best, but the price was right and I thought it should work awesome to haul the Hog, the 4 wheeler, the lawn tractor and a billion smaller loads with ease.

I plan to replace the bearings and convert to bearing buddy setup. Was also considering a lock bar potentially, like you see on all the little flatbed sled trailers. Although, I'm thinking small d-rings on each corner should be plenty good for holding the load securely, whether it's the hog, the 4 wheeler, the sled or whatever. Also considering a good backlight on the yota.
Does anyone have a clue what a trailer like this should be weight rated for? I figured it should be at least 1000 lbs. to haul a battery operated golf cart, maybe 1250 lbs?
Any tips or tricks on using a trailer like this for hauling a sled?

(I made this same thread on the SW site. hope no one minds me doubling up. just trying to get all the good input I can.)
I am not a #... I am a FREE REBEL, #6000!!!
sled stats:
2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900
162 x 16 x 3 challenger extreme non-ported track
IceAge Rails & WRP Assault Seat w/bag
billet 9" rear wheel kit
goldfinger left hand throttle
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM
"Sick and Twisted"

Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP
Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP

You will hate the mesh if you run anything other than round bar wear rods.
Carbides will get caught on it and stop you dead in your tracks.
But if you put some plastic ski runners down on it the thing will work just fine.
BCR #343
Proud member of team WTF?

A Little Older, A Little Wiser...
Well, A Little Older Anyway
http://www.northwestglaciercruisers.com/
http://www.wssa.us/
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.nwac.us/

Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Revolution View Post
You will hate the mesh if you run anything other than round bar wear rods.
Carbides will get caught on it and stop you dead in your tracks.
But if you put some plastic ski runners down on it the thing will work just fine.
^^^^^
Megadittos, what he said. should be a nice setup IMO.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 PM
REBEL

BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR

appreciate the tip. I want to stay away from the wood stuff... but I can pick up a bed liner off craigslist, cut 4 slats and u-bolt 'em down.

I didn't have a whole lot of problems using my friends standard utility trailer but I did catch a few times backing up on that mire mesh ramp/gate.
sled stats:
billet 9" rear wheel kit
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
REBEL

buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR
buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If that deal doesn't work out for you let me know I have a golf cart trailer with a solid metal floor and a front built on it for a little less than what they are asking. I used it for years and it worked great for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM
REBEL

sorry buriedxp, but I already own this one. made the thread to question previous experience with these. toss a pic up if you'd like though. always interested in seeing what works and what fails.
If you'd have had yours up here for sale... I might have bought yours instead. Too late now... but the season is coming and people are looking.
sled stats:
billet 9" rear wheel kit
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM
REBEL

buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR
buriedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from ARburiedxp Has earned a rub and tug from AR

no big deal. I used mine to pull behind my Mazda pick-up, it worked awesome for that. I did a spring over on the axle and made a front out of diamond plate to help protect the sled from getting all beat up from rock chips. It had the small wide tires on it but I put the taller narrow tires on last year, it has worked great for me. The only thing I would add is some thing for the skaggs to slide on, plastic bedliner or some thing like that. Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 PM
REBEL

Good stuff buriedxp! I really like the idea of a diamond plate front to block the road grime, rocks, etc. But I was worried about the effect of the balance on the tilt action. The spare tire is mounted just ahead of the pivot point as is and you can tell it's almost enough weight to keep the pivot action from working properly.
If I slap a hunk of aluminum on the front... I'm not sure it will sit with the tail on the ground anymore. I assume you have to ad some shock system to compensate for the extra weight on the front? pics?

I'm scouring Craigslist for a local bed-liner I can chop up for the ski-tracks already.

Hadn't really considered the SOA modification. How did the increased height affect the tilt to the ground?
sled stats:
billet 9" rear wheel kit
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 08-29-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
REBEL

I didn't do anything so it doesn't tilt but you usually have someone to give you a hand loading, if not I would just stand on the trailer and pull the skis onto the trailer to keep it down and ride on. Once you get to the end it tips flat and down the road you go. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 PM
REBEL

Trying to insure my independence as much as possible. Too many let downs, relying on others. I'm sure I can make it work... but I'll probably give it a run this season with just the skids and see how it goes. I've still got the cover... for some protection on the road.
sled stats:
billet 9" rear wheel kit
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION