Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > REC TRAILERS / TOY HAULERS / MOTOR HOMES

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM
REBEL

SLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default My 1st Camper

So I'm looking at getting my 1st camper. I'm going for a 2013 Lance 850 from Hills RV in Yakima. They so suggested the HappiJac system which I wanted Torklift for the truck. I have a 3/4 Silverado so I wanted a light camper and short for towing toys. Is there anything thing I need to know or switcheroo please let me know.

Thanks Steve
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED2SHRED View Post
So I'm looking at getting my 1st camper. I'm going for a 2013 Lance 850 from Hills RV in Yakima. They so suggested the HappiJac system which I wanted Torklift for the truck. I have a 3/4 Silverado so I wanted a light camper and short for towing toys. Is there anything thing I need to know or switcheroo please let me know.

Thanks Steve
the happy jacks are a must and a tie down system attached to the FRAME of the truck is worth it. not only for time but less sway on the truck bed.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Airbags. Not because your truck can't handle the weight, but because they act much like a heavy duty sway bar. Takes out so much of the rock and roll. Use it often and enjoy it.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 AM
REBEL

907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I too think air bags are a must. When I put two of my cats on my deck it really leaned hard. Put air bags on the truck and it's a dream to drive. Having that much weight in the bed is worth the investment for bags. Go with on board air kit too.

I'm not to familiar with campers my self. Here in alaska there are a lot of guys with campers and they pull trailers, with boats and everything else you can think of. I've seen some set ups with extended hitches. It works but you need to do your math and make sure everything you want to do will work. The longer the hitch the less weight you can haul. Just an FYI.

I'd like to recommend an idea to you. We bought a 28' enclosed a little over a year ago. We camp out of it in the summer. Hauls our wheelers and its dry when it rains. In the winter time we haul all of our sleds for trips. The trailer has a heater and a fuel station. I personally think its the best use of one item. It does have a few down fauls. But it's an option.

Best of luck brother.

2016 M800 limited
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I'm one of those guys hemi. I run with an 11 1/2' Bigfoot cabover camper with a 42" hitch extender. And have the heated 24' enclosed behind it. I love having the heated dressing room to hang all the snow gear in to dry out. Makes the camper feel so much bigger without clothes hanging everywhere. The downfall for me when it comes to a trailer vs a cabover camper is that summertime I can't pull the boat. That's the big reason for a cabover . You can always pull your toys with you.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
REBEL

907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR907hemi Has earned a rub and tug from AR

All are very cool deals. I don't do boats. I hate playing on the ocean. Lol. That's why we went with the trailer. Plus the prices of some of the cab over campers is crazy.

2016 M800 limited
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
REBEL

SLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLED2SHRED Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thanks for the replies. I already have air bags since I live in a big 5th wheel currently to chase Electrical work in the IBEW. I guess my big concern is if anyone has had any problems with the Happijac setup over the Torklift. The dealer I'm buying the camper from doesn't carry Torklift. Someday I hope to have an enclosed trailer to tow behind the camper.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM
REBEL

Like was said above. I wouldn't worry about the brand as much as getting the right stuff. Ie for vs chevy vs dodge. I would get FRAME MOUNT tie downs. More money upfront. But in big wind or rough roads, the piece of mind is priceless. Bed mounts however do work for most folks. That is the norm. I just like the safety and security of the frame mount. Kinda like the airbus, the bed mounts let the camper sway much more with the both where the frame mount is a much more solid feel in the wind, bumps, and of camber back and forth.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 AM
REBEL

I totally agree frame mounts are the way to go. I think the jacks are just preference like ultra said.

2016 M800 limited
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > REC TRAILERS / TOY HAULERS / MOTOR HOMES