Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
REBEL

Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Default InTech Super Spread Trailers

Anyone used a trailer like this?

These “odious debts” are considered to be the personal debts of the tyrants who incurred them, rather than the country’s debt
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM

ndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Wonder what there reasoning for doing that is. On large flatbed and starting to see some grain hopper over the road trailers they do that a lot. I was told that it has to do with axle spreads to be legal for more weight. I know as a farmer we avoid them even there are great deals on them used because they are hard to get around tight corners. On an enclosed trailer you shouldn't be worrying about weight so I don't know what the advantage is.

Just found there explanation with some searching not sure if the tracking difference would make up for the harder turning.

Quote below from InTechs Facebook page.

Super Spread Axles have become increasingly popular not just for their transporter appearance, but they also track incredibly well going down the road. Take a few minutes and browse through the images in this gallery and learn firsthand why inTech Trailers is THE choice of informed buyers. Also, please note that with all of our trailers galleries we take the time to post "close-up" images of the details found on our trailers. We do this to showcase the incredible quality, fit and finish of EVERY trailer we manufacture. Experience the inTech Difference!

Last edited by ndmtnsledder; 03-09-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Has JEEP WAVE envy

777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP
777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP

Unless they are trying to meet some bridge laws of certain states that spread would be usless. Hard on tires and spring bushings. It's like throwing an anchor out around turns too. It's just a gimmic IMO.
Originally Posted by Hawgman
What Ford guy doesn't have a chip.... exhaust.... intake.... chrome plated cup holder.... driving lites on all the time...inflated ego...36 inch rubber.. naked lady mud flaps... trucker envy...
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmtnsledder View Post
Wonder what there reasoning for doing that is. On large flatbed and starting to see some grain hopper over the road trailers they do that a lot. I was told that it has to do with axle spreads to be legal for more weight. I know as a farmer we avoid them even there are great deals on them used because they are hard to get around tight corners.
!
These trailers actually turn awesome, the truck needs to have a switch so they can dump the air out of the rear axle bags. Then they turn on the front axle which makes for alot shorter turning radius.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
REBEL

Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightstar View Post
These trailers actually turn awesome, the truck needs to have a switch so they can dump the air out of the rear axle bags. Then they turn on the front axle which makes for alot shorter turning radius.
If the contents of the trailer weighed more then the front axle allowable weight wouldn't this cause problems? Cause by dumping the air out of the rear axle bags your are essentially getting the front axle to hold the entire load, which would be no different then overloading a single axle trailer.

Now I haven't towed much, however after towing a couple normal double axle trailers I haven't had any problems with trailer tracking, or turning radius. Granted the 28 foot trailer I've towed the most turns as I'd expect a 28 foot trailer to turn.

Last edited by Corins; 03-14-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
REBEL

Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP

Looks like a tri-axle setup with the center axle removed, I've watched some of these rear axle tires try to rip themselves apart while backing up on the pavement. I can see them pulling good down the road tho.

These “odious debts” are considered to be the personal debts of the tyrants who incurred them, rather than the country’s debt
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corins View Post
If the contents of the trailer weighed more then the front axle allowable weight wouldn't this cause problems? Cause by dumping the air out of the rear axle bags your are essentially getting the front axle to hold the entire load, which would be no different then overloading a single axle trailer.
. Granted the 28 foot trailer I've towed the most turns as I'd expect a 28 foot trailer to turn.
Overload really isnt an issue as we are talking turns made at 3-8 mph for 100-500 feet. These trailers are generally 45-53 feet. And proper loading. unloading facilities would make it even less of an issue. By setting up to load the trailer after the sharp turns and travel over uneven ground is completed, and to unload before the turns, uneven ground.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION