Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Prospect

Grizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Grizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default What else do I need

I have a pretty good setup as far as survival gear from my trips to Northern Ontario. I am headed to Island Park in march. I know i need to pick up a beacon but witch one and from who? I have a good pack with probe and shovel saw etc. Do I need an Avi Pack also? Do they make a kit to adapt my pack? What else do I need?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Swing through West Yellowstone on the way out, Ace Powder rents packs/gear and does a quick lesson on how to use them. Might be cheaper than buying them if you're only using that stuff a few times a year.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
REBEL

whee Has earned a rub and tug from AR
whee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If you are going to buy a beacon the best out there is the BCA Tracker 2, IMO.

Hers - 06 M7 800 BB...at lest that's what the salesman told me. It's actually a bone stock 700.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Prospect

Grizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

So rent a beacon and an avi pack?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Prospect

Is there such a thing as a avi collar? Something that I can convert my pack to an avi pack?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Nope.
The important "avalanche pack" part is the harness/trigger/airbag. THe pack part is just fluff that stacks on top of that harness/airbag.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM
"bottom end killer "

flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR
flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I think snow big deal rents packs out. Ace powder rents beacons and teaches you how to use them. We used to rent beacons from Ace Powder til we bought, but still are usually there almost every trip to get BCAs refilled or get a new guy in our group a beacon. Great dudes to deal with.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Prospect

Thanks for the rental advise guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Prospect

I bought a Klim pac at a snow show with shovel and probe....got a great deal. However last week end I tranfered my survival gear from my sled pac to the klim pac and wore it around the house with my coat and tek vest. It was actually uncomfortable to wear. Hurt my schoulders and limited my arm movement. Is there a better pac? Do I just need to get used to it? Is the Throttle 22 a good one? Will my shovel and probe and gear fit in it?

Sorry for all the questions. I hate going unprepared. Just how I am and I see some of you are the same way also.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
REBEL

Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP
Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP

Things I can say about packs.

Started out with a HMK pack. the only problem I had with this was that where they had you store the shovel and probe would catch trees and branches. In turn they would fly out of you pack and you would lose those two items. HMK fixed the problem of losing the shovel handle the year after I bought mine but it would still catch on things. You need to tether your probe on some how and I always did.

Then I move into a BCA float 30. I really like the way it stored everything. it was neat and clean. Unlike the HMK pack everything had a pocket and nothing stuck out. Things I hated about the pack was it always seemed that I had some strap flailing behind me or some loop that hanging off the pack that could get caught on something when going threw the trees. The other thing I hated about the pack was that rode way to high on me. Every time I would look up at a hill I could feel the top of the pack hitting the back of my helmet. Other than that was a good pack.

Now I have a ABS Only complaint I have so far is that after you get your shovel blade in you don't have a much room for anything else. I wish that the pocket for the blade was on the outside and not in the middle. The pack is neat and clean no straps hanging off it to get caught on trees. It also seems to ride lower. So far this is about the same fit as the HMK pack I had but could use a better way to hole the blade of the shovel. ABS makes a couple other zipons I may have to look at them and see if I can find one I like better.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES