Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

mps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLP
mps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLP
Default BCA Tracker Beacon...can I fix?

I have a BCA Tracker beacon I bought back in 2006. Well dumbass me left the batteries inside over the summer. It corroded one of the battery leads and it broke off. I sent it back to BCA and it is out of warranty. They said they can't fix it and want me to upgrade. I said this is a simple fix and it just needs a new battery lead. He said they don't have the part (battery lead) for that old of a beacon and they can't pull the beacon apart anyway because they are pressed together. So why in the hell did they act like it was possible to fix it when they can't even open it?

Anyway is there a fix? I feel like just shoving tinfoil in there to bridge the gap between the battery and what is left of the lead. Ya I'm cheap...haha...mostly poor.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Would you put your brake lever back on with duct tape? Its either your life or your buddies you're putting together there....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

If you have to ask yourself "Can I fix this?", then the answer for a product like that is probably "No".

Do your buddies trust their life to your electronics repair work? Because when you need it, you'd better have good faith that your repair's going to work.

If it were mine ... i'd look long and hard at what I have and how to repair it. I've got a lot of tools, materials, and experience with electronics ... but depending on the damage, BCA might be right when they said it was irreparable.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

mps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLPmps Offical PLP

Yes I have thought of your points about it being lifesaving equipment. I wouldnt use it again unless I was confident it would hold up. I'm just asking about the possibilities of fixing it. Can I use a soder gun to put the lead back on?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Banned

Ya I better get a new one. It's 240 for the new one and 120 for the model below it. So I guess 120 isn't too bad.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Soldering gun is not the right tool for the job. That's just going to make a mess of the plastic housing.

Use a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. Might need hot air reflow, depending on what's in there and how extensive the damage is.

The right thing to do is pull it all apart, down to the circuit board, and check it over for corrosion.

Corrosion isn't just on the surface. It eats through the solder mask, chews through the copper traces, and depending on what got in there it can even melt or soften the FR4.

Don't bother trying to "fix" the spring. Replace the entire spring if you do anything at all.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

At BCA the person answering the phone said "sure we can fix it." About 3 seconds later, someone else said, "there is no way in *ell we are fixing it, do you want to sit in court and say 'we thought we had it fixed'." Check CL
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightstar View Post
At BCA the person answering the phone said "sure we can fix it." About 3 seconds later, someone else said, "there is no way in *ell we are fixing it, do you want to sit in court and say 'we thought we had it fixed'." Check CL
That's a good point and thanks for that post Mule.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
"Little Creep"

TROUT HUNTER has disabled reputation

You get one yet slut ?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 AM
REBEL

SLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from ARSLIM Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Don't take a chance brother, get a new one. And then have someone you know ( ) check it to ensure it both transmits & searches. On one of my pre-ride checks 2 weeks ago, I checked my friends brand new digi Tracker, and DID NOT TRANSMITT!! Had been wearing it a year, he got green in the face when we figured it out.

SledHeadRacing

MotorFist

2CoolAirVents

TEAM IDAHO MILITIA
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES