Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > MOD / FORCED AIR

Old 12-25-2012, 02:22 PM

bc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default school me on plug reading please

just wanting to update my knowledge on plug reading. Please help out if u can. So i used to have a 2004 summit 800 that i tuned to 145hp on the stock pipe. it ran good for what it was. For plug reads i would find a nice long flat hill and ride up it at my desired throttle position then hit the kill switch before releasing the throttle and coast to a stop. pull the plugs and look for milkey coffey coloring with maybe just a tiny bit of light tan or cream color on the tip. correct?

Now I have an 08 m1000 just wondering if anything is different in the process since it is fuel injected. basicly want to make sure that when u hit the kill switch it kills the spark first not the fuel so that i know i am getting an accurate read. i have egts on the sled but i want to index them before getting too far with the tuneing.

any other suggestions or comments are welcomed. ps checking 4 plugs under a hot pipe sucks compared to the 2 on top of my summit motor, oh well i guess the price i have to pay for 185 hp
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

same principles apply but on the m1k you can just pull the power valves out with the pipe still in place and look at the wash threw the power valve holes.
Plugs:
look at the ground strap for the wet oil line the closer to the plug the fatter it is and closer to the threads the leaner. I like it just at the turn and heading for he plug threads

if your dealing with the m1000 ask your questions in the AC forum you will find more links and info there.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM
'AKWALKSWITHCHUBBY'

AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP
AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP

you are technically looking to "read" the plug at the base of the porcelin, in the very depth of the plug, also , the burn line on the ground electrode is a major indicator of plug "heat range" as well and ideally in most motors the burn should be right at the bend of the elctrode... as for color..on a non race motor you are looking for cardboard brown or darker..on an all out race motor...pushed to the limit you are looking for white, with just the hint of darkening...the longer you can hold it at test point under load the more acurate your read will be......hardest fuel to read..methanol, and guys who can acurately read it, make big money.......(read indy 500 type racing) oh and plug reading is just a small part of it, chamber, piston dome, even exhaust port deposits are/should all be utilized to get right to the edge......

Last edited by AKSNOWRIDER; 12-26-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Prospect

Ford428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from AR

This should help you!

http://www.hillsideauto.org/
www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1
http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

www.sledspace.com
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Prospect

Ford428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from AR

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

http://www.hillsideauto.org/
www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1
http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

www.sledspace.com
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM

bc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from ARbc shredder Has earned a rub and tug from AR

ok some good info here. thanks alot. any other insight. how about pics of good piston wash.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc shredder View Post
ok some good info here. thanks alot. any other insight. how about pics of good piston wash.

i run them closer to the lean one, this chart is for forged pistons with high compression.

also a good read in general
http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/509138
Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Prospect

Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FoMoCo View Post

i run them closer to the lean one, this chart is for forged pistons with high compression.

also a good read in general
http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/509138

They must have changed their website...

I believe this is the new link to that article:
https://www.cpcracing.com/cpc-racing...troke-engines/

but I didn't see any pics of the piston wash

2014 Polaris Industries 800 PRO-RMK® 163 LE Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange

2008 M8 162 Geo Mod, Holz revalve with dual rate spring, EVOL air chamber added

2002 800 RMK for backup *edit* blown up parts sled

WSSA
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Captain Stick Head

yep change we sites just look up on this post and you will see plug relations.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Prospect

Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Snowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnowmoherb Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Found this on a PWC forum:

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382535637224.jpg (12.5 KB, 85 views)

2014 Polaris Industries 800 PRO-RMK® 163 LE Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange

2008 M8 162 Geo Mod, Holz revalve with dual rate spring, EVOL air chamber added

2002 800 RMK for backup *edit* blown up parts sled

WSSA
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > MOD / FORCED AIR