Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MONTANA

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Prospect

B-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up Rididng In west??

A little birdie texted me that someone went for a ride near West today.... Please post your findings and a picture or two......

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Prospect

B-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from ARB-Radical Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up

The moon on the crest of the new fallen snow, gave a luster of midday to objects below!!

This photo is courtesy of High Country Snowmobile Rentals Webcam

WOOT!!

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Prospect

Black Bear snotel hit 58 for a 10 inch addition since yesterday, but settled back to 55 with the warm temps. it will be an awesome base once the temps drop and we get some powder on top. shouldn't have any problem with rocks above 7000 ft, but we might be riding dirt up to the snow..

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Prospect

Here is a little reference for you.
Look at todays snow depths compared to when we were all riding last Christmas.
Its starting off to be a good year with a deep stable snowpack above 7000 ft.

And yes your reading that right when it says ther is 75+ inches south of town along the parkline and into YNP.

Be careful if you venture near the parkline!! Be sure you know exactly where it is and stay back half a mile just to be sure.
Just ask Larry

These images are courtesy of another NOAA website in my favorites.

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Prospect

Default Corrections to NOAA snow depth site

SNODAS Model Adjustments:

An assimilation was performed December 3, 2012 over the western United States, upper Midwest, and parts of Canada. Throughout much of the region water was added to the snow pack to adjust the model for over estimating snow melt during the recent winter storm event. In the Sierra Nevadas up to 5 inches of water was added, in the Cascades up to 3 inches of water was added, and throughout the Rocky Mountains between 0.5 to 4 inches of water was added. In the Yellowstone region water was removed from the snow pack due to the model under estimating melt rate, requiring up to 3 inches of water to be removed. Water was also removed from the snow pack over southern Manitoba and northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan due to recent warming. Snow is expected over the western region, especially at higher elevations, for the next few days with some areas of heavy snow developing. The model will be evaluated later this week to determine if an additional assimilation is needed.

Here is the adjusted snowpack picture. Its less than the previous, but still not bad above 7000 Ft

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Prospect

Default More snow!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREAT FALLS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
UNTIL 5 PM MST SATURDAY FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 6000 FEET. FOR
ELEVATIONS BELOW 6000 FEET...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN
EFFECT FROM 5 PM FRIDAY AFTERNOON UNTIL 5 PM SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* TIMING AND MAIN IMPACT: LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS
FROM TONIGHT THROUGH LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE LIGHT SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO START TO AFFECT LOWER ELEVATIONS BEGINNING LATE
FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES
CAN BE EXPECTED AT LOWER ELEVATIONS...WHILE A GENERAL 6 TO 12
INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 6000 FEET. ISOLATED
AMOUNTS AROUND 15 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WEST YELLOWSTONE
AND BIG SKY AREAS.

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Prospect

Who Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Who Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

It's looking good B rad. I'm thinking of going on Dec.14th. Needs some more snow down low, which I think they are to get some now. I am going to keep tabs on it up until the 14th, then decide wheather to go or not. A call to Kurt will be in order...don't know if he is back yet. If I go south I will stay away from the park line! Nice to not have to haul the sleds down there now.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Prospect

Who Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Who Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from ARWho Dat Cat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Oh, by the way B Rad, nice touch having the Golden West link in there!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Cat View Post
It's looking good B rad. I'm thinking of going on Dec.14th. Needs some more snow down low, which I think they are to get some now. I am going to keep tabs on it up until the 14th, then decide wheather to go or not. A call to Kurt will be in order...don't know if he is back yet. If I go south I will stay away from the park line! Nice to not have to haul the sleds down there now.
How long are you staying?? I suppose you will not be there on the 26th to ride with us.
Look at your calendar as I'll be back Feb 13th for a few days.

p.s. As for my signature line.. got to try to help those who always help others!

B-

Got your Avy Gear??
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Prospect

Default Whoop Whoop

Blackbear Snotel is reading 62 inches this morning!! Time to go riding!! 15 sleeps to go.

Got your Avy Gear??
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MONTANA