Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > STREET BIKES

Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
REBEL

woolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from AR
woolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from ARwoolywag Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default looking at buying my first road bike

so friday i was "informed" i will be going to Sturgis next year , so i need a bike ,have never owned a road bike , so i'm looking at buying a used HD , I found a '07' softtail night train w/ 16,621 miles , is that high mileage ? and would this make me a good first rode bike ? rode dirt for years , but never roads
Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

'07 harley with 16k miles ... high mileage? I hope not .... they are cruisers, I would expect that with minimal maintenance such as tires and oil, they'd roll well beyond 16k pretty easily ... (my '07 dirt bike has that many miles on it and i'm expecting it to go another 10-15k...)

If you're doing a long ride (like, to sturgis and back) get something that's comfortable. What suits your ass might not be the one that suits your buddy's ass. Or back/shoulders.

My only suggestion would be to get something smaller, cheaper, and more nimble to get used to road-riding on, try out a few bikes you're interested in buying, then make a more informed decision then.

Don't be this guy: http://www.kcbd.com/story/19249138/r...le-starts-fire
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
WELCOME WAGON

Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP
Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP

16k is no big deal.
I have an 02 lowrider with 29k zero problems and my old bike was a 96 with 58k miles.
Not uncommon to see guys that put 16k a season on their bike.
You can find a lot of used harley's with real low miles (under 20k) because people buy them and never do anything other than put around town a couple times a year and polish them.

Soft tail is a good bike.
I currently ride a wideglide and that is an ok bike for long trips, but my next bike will be a soft tail.
I believe that is a forward control bike. I would recommend something like this.
http://www.compacc.com/p/Kuryakyn-St...-HD-Male-Mount
Lets you set a good riding position for your foot.

Member #81
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
"Resident two-year old"

Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP
Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP

Talk to HB. she knows bikes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Prospect

4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR4 Z Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Gold Wing!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Check for demo days at the dealers around there. I know around here they do those and they have it setup where you can road test pretty much the whole lineup back to back for a day just to see how all the bikes compare.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
REBEL

Loudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Loudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from ARLoudpipe Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I'm a bit biased, but I've got a Victory and there are so many ways this bike is better designed and more comfortable than a Harley, ask anyone who has had them both and they will tell you the same thing.

07 X-RS, SHR860R, aftermarket this, modified that blah blah blah......sold
07 X-RS, SHR800R.....sold
06 summit-X, SHR 800HO, big wheels, big track, still not fast.....sold

2005 CR500AF, ported, polished, and built by me.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
REBEL

boondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLP
boondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLP

you should try a VICTORY before you buy , the are the best bikes by far...............imo............
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP

Since nobody else will say it I will.

Even though you have dirt in your past I assume it has been years since you were on 2 wheels.

In the spring or even this fall if you can TAKE A CLASS. Just my opion but my life was worth a Friday night and all day Saturday and that was just the beginners class. So yeah a lot was below me as I had lots of dirt time, but there were a few nuggets to pick up that paid off when I was trying to avoid a deer in the road. Plus it is always nice to lower the insurance (most do if you take a MSF course) and practice the skills on someone elses bike!

Proud member of the BCR Chit Box Brain Trust!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
BCR Resident Tramp

Timber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLP
Timber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLPTimber_Tramp Offical PLP

That's some pretty good advise X...a few hours of instruction can bennifit even a seasoned rider.

Wooly , the mileage on the bike your looking at would be considered low.
That being said I wouldn't pick a softtail for long trips.

Will you be taking the wife with you riding 2 up?
If so , happy wife -happy life....you may want to look at a touring bike.The Roadking can be optioned up with detatchable accessories to make it a great touring bike.

There are lots of great bikes out there in the cruiser class, Victory included.
Try a few different bikes, it may surprise you how easy some of the bigger bikes are to ride.

www.canadasledparts.com

http://www.modsskis.com/
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > STREET BIKES