Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
Default Alternative to Polaris lock and ride

As usual I hate paying for chit that I can make at a 10th the cost of the manufacturers. So...... http://www.sidebysidesports.com/poraloandrit.html there is Poo's tie downs.... 20 bucks a piece.... I think NOT!!!!!
Scrounging around the net I found some ideas and here we go......

I originally made some out of a single 1 1/2" plumbing test plug and an eyebolt. Well they work but not as strong as I would like. So here I doubled up the plugs and made tie downs that won't pull out of the holes in the Polaris Ranger bed.

Parts list per tie down.....
2- 1 1/2" test plugs
1- 3/8" x 5" eye bolt
1- 3/8" x 3" bolt
1- 3/8' nut and washer
1- 3/4" x 2" pvc spacer (1/2" conduit or similar pipe will work)
**If you can find 8" eye bolts with threads all the way to the to the eye you can eliminate the need to weld the bolt extensions on... my hardware store didn't have them so I built them.

Tear down the plug and keep everything but the carriage bolt it comes with. Cut the head off the bolt and weld it onto the eyebolt....(NOTE**pic #4** install the wingnut onto the eyebolt BEFORE welding the bolt extension on!!!!!) Don't ask why I stress this factLOL
Once the bolt is cool grind it down clean. On some style plugs you may have to trim down the rubber a bit to make them fit the bed holes. I used a drill and my belt sander to shave off the rubber till they fit smooth into the bed. Then it is just a matter of assembly and BAM... you have tie down plugs for about 4 bucks each or less. Use a washer on BOTH sides of the rubber plugs or they won't "squish" properly and just tear out. Also be sure to use Loktite to the bottom nut to hold things together. Then it's just a matter of twisting the wingnut down to secure the plugs in the bed. Simple as that.

I am going to make a 5 gallon bucket hoop, chainsaw holder, and a cargo bar, and who knows what else, soon so I will add pics of those as I go to this thread. Any ?'s, feel free to ask.

Term limits....
1 in office..... 1 in JAIL!!!!!

Last edited by bullfrog; 03-13-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP

More pics.... see pic #2 as to why you put the wingnut on BEFORE you weld the bolt on...... I'm a chitdip some times!!!!

Term limits....

Last edited by bullfrog; 03-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
"bottom end killer "

flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR
flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Perfect! This thread is going to be great!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
I-Da-Azzhole

Ok.... I found a faster and I think better way to make these. Home Depot had a different style plug so I grabbed a dozen. Some 5/16" x 5" eye bolts and away we go. With these you don't need to weld on the bolt extension and don't need the pvc spacer, just 4 flat washers as a spacer.
Still need to trim down the rubber and the hard plastic pcs to fit the bed holes. Also use self locking nyloc nuts instead of loctite. Makes taking them apart for different attatchments easier.

Home Depot plug #... Oatey 33400 1.5" gripper.

Term limits....
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I-Da-Azzhole

5 gallon bucket hoop....
I always seem to have a bucket full of fencing tools, trash, parts, etc. With this hoop it won't be tipping over and sliding around.

3' pc of 1/4" round bar
4.5" pc of 1/8"x1.5" flat bar
home made lock and ride plug.

Hardest part was bending the hoop. I tried heating the rod and wrapping it around a steel bucket but burned holes in the bucket and bent the chit out of it. So I found an old sprocket and welded the end of the rod on the sprocket and heated the rod with a torch, around that to make the hoop. Little trimming and hand bending to fit the bucket. Not a perfect circle but close enough. The L bracket is pretty simple.

Term limits....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

Default Chainsaw bracket

Finally got a chance to build the chainsaw bracket. Fairly simple bracket once you see pics of how they are made. If you need measurements and specifics let me know. I need to replace the temp wingnuts with some large knobed speed nuts. Kinda like you see that hold CB radios and such in brackets, but easily removed without wrenches. The carriage bolts are welded to the main plate that recieves the clamp plate. Have to "square" out the holes with a file for the carriage bolts to fit. Main reason for carriage bolts is the smooth rounded head to prevent gouges and scratches in the bed of your Ranger. I put a couple small bends in the clamp plate to add some rigidity and strength, also to smooth out those sides to prevent branches from grabbing or scratching your arm.

Need to add a "bumper" of some sort to where the saw meets the eye bolts, might weld on a pc of square tubing and rivet on some conveyor belting. Not sure if its needed but can't hurt.

Main plate.... 8"x12 3/4" 16 ga steel
Clamp plate...8"x5" 16 ga steel
2- 3/8" carriage bolts
2- homemade generic lock and ride plugs (larger ones for the heavier saw)

Pics were taken before paint so details can be seen. With the black paint on the black bed it's hard to see.

PS....*****Might build a couple of these items I am building and sell them WAY cheaper than Polaris wants for theirs. PM me if interested. I will finger out a price if their is interest.*****

Term limits....
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV