Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MICHIGAN

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM

grapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Forgot to add, depending on the dealer, you may need to snow check a 153 or longer sled to get one. Down side to riding a long track in MI is the sand and ice on the trail system. Its hard on hyfax, and tall lugs can heat up and tear off. Ontario does not open the trails untill there is enough snow to cover the obstacles (rocks) so there is very little ice and no sand in the trail.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM
REBEL

pureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLP
pureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLP

I figured most of my deep snow riding would be in the UP(assumed that is where those pictures were taken), but I would like to travel west a few times a year to ride and that is the main reason I would like the longer length. I don't mind riding the trails and love being able to ride out my back door, so another 121 would work great around here. I know for the majority of my riding a short track would suffice, but hate the idea of buying another short track and not have anything for the type of riding I truly want to do. I guess deep down I know the sled I should probably get is a mid side, but it feels like a compromise.

What part of Ontario does your group ride at? Trying to see what my driving time would be for me to get to some decent powder without driving 18.5 hours to CO.
'06 Yamaha Apex GT(Problem Free)
I Win
"I didn't make up the rules, I just twisted them to fit my needs"
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Prospect

skidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from AR
skidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from AR

all the pics were taken north of lake superior, in northern ontario. from around lansing mich, it takes us about 8-10 hours to get to the riding areas depending on weather, roads, and how far we go north. sometimes we start in wawa, other times points further north. i can be in wawa in the same time it takes to get to munising or grand marais mich. on better snow with ALOT less people to track that snow, and ALOT LARGER RIDING AREA.

personally if i were to do it again, i would buy a 144 mountain sled. the 153 and 162 sleds float so well, they are too easy to ride here. and after riding outwest.... really, riding here (northern ontario only, for the most part), there really isnt any challenge in riding. the sleds are so good, you dont get stuck, you dont work hard, and you dont have to worry about parking uphill, down hill ect...

yes there is good snow and riding to be had in the u.p no doubt but, the amount of people, and traffic that flock there, really limit your great days of powder riding, to hitting it right after a big dump before the masses get there.

riding in ontario, you dont really have to worry about traffic that much, the snow is deeper and the season last longer. all you need is a valid drivers license, sled registration and insurance on the sled, 3 day trail permit (100.00) no dui's, a passport or enhanced drivers license to get accross and back at the border.

we are heading up next weekend the 8th-12th. and then every other weekend until april 15th (walleye fishing closure). spring riding is mostly exploring areas we cant get to due to fuel range issues in the powder, antler hunting and walleye fishing. FUN TIMES!!!

as grape stated above, you will have to snowcheck a mountain sled here, sight unseen. very few dealers in lower michigan will even order mountain sleds, without a large deposit to hold them. and when you need parts, NO ONE HAS THEM HERE. you have to order everything for the most part.

ski

Last edited by skidooboy; 03-01-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i have owned a 150+ " tracked sleds for 12 yrs now. i do limited trail riding around mn just becuase its boring. i dont see me owning a shorty ever again.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
REBEL

pureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLP
pureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLPpureadrenaline Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
personally if i were to do it again, i would buy a 144 mountain sled. the 153 and 162 sleds float so well, they are too easy to ride here. and after riding outwest.... really, riding here (northern ontario only, for the most part), there really isnt any challenge in riding. the sleds are so good, you dont get stuck, you dont work hard, and you dont have to worry about parking uphill, down hill ect...
ski
I'm sure a 144 would work for the majority of my riding, I'm just worried about the few trips a years I want to take out west. I'm thinking a 144 might be a little short for 10K'+ riding, I've never owned nor rode a sled that is longer than 121.
I Win
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM

grapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from ARgrapeape Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If you want an inexpensive long track, I am willing to part with my Apex. I have a 10k and a 1k clutch set up for it as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 PM
REBEL

I'm not afraid of spending the cash, just want to make the right choice.

As much as I love our short track Apex, I just don't think its the right platform for riding in the trees.
I Win
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Prospect

skidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from AR
skidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from ARskidooboy Has earned a rub and tug from AR

aw come on bushy.... ya know we are just messin with ya. ski
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
REBEL

Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
aw come on bushy.... ya know we are just messin with ya. ski
Hehe had the Monster out yesterday, first time in a couple years it seems. 15" of fresh & no base..... I hit all kinds of chit

These “odious debts” are considered to be the personal debts of the tyrants who incurred them, rather than the country’s debt
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

geberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from ARgeberhard Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Myself and some buddies were out in Mancelona this weekend. Boy it was a great weekend for the northern lower. I haven't seen that much snow in one weekend in a long time in the lower.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MICHIGAN