Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Sauces and marinades

Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP

Damn Wooly!!!!!'

I will take a walk here shortly and get some better pics of our setup.

We are hoping 300 taps this year. 150 last year. I will check with my brother tonight on how many tapable maples we have on our place. 86 acres.

Proud member of the BCR Chit Box Brain Trust!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP

Still no shots of our current setup, but we have 1500 tapable maples right now on our land. Also got a few shots of the way things used to be. Imagine Wooly using this stuff!!!

Great-grandpas brothers last cooker. As far as I know it has been sitting like this since the last time he used it.

Flipped the pan off for a good look inside. Damn but that wood is shot! Wood dividers would have been to help separate the fresh sap from the syrup end. Heat would be higher on one end of the pan versus the other.

This is all that is left of the fire box after all these years.

Lots of old metal buried in the ground out there from his setup as well.

Also these are the old Sumack taps they used. A long long ways from the modern pipeline setups.

Obviously they were making a much larger hole in the trees vs what is done today.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR

this is a cool thread, thanks X....
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
BCR's Souless Ginger

No "action" shots but I got some decent pics of our current setup this weekend.

Here is our cook house/sugar shack. Used to be where my old man had the sawmill setup, new roof and siding this summer has it back to good form. Take note of all the wood stacked off to the left, takes a few logs to get to cooking temp and maintain it. We will start the fire around 8 or 9 and not see syrup until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Storage tanks

We also have upgraded the collection tank and mounted it on a trailer, but I failed to get a pic. Last year it was a small garden tractor trailer with 5 gallon buckets behind the quad.

The rubber maid bin in the upper left is where the sap is put after the storage tank and before the cooker. Last year was buckets, this year a bilge pump. The sap will flow down into the copper tubing which is wrapped around the chimney to help bring it up to temp, kinda along the lines of how moonshine is put through copper tubing to cool.

From there it is dumped into the back half of the pans sitting on top of the fire box.

Inside look of that part. The holes are copper down tubing that is used to increase the heated surface area.

Shot of the down tube

From that section it is moved into the front pan which sits right over the fire. It flows via the copper tubing, just open the valve to draw sap

The sap will move from left to right in the picture and is drawn out/off via a spout on the right hand side.

Here is the fire box, lined with fire brick to help build up heat, notice it is open towards the back pan.

Head on shot of the whole setup

I will hopefully get some shots of it in action this year. Really a sight to see all the steam that comes off of it.

Last edited by xrated; 02-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Has JEEP WAVE envy

777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP
777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP

Excellent write up. Keep it coming as you make syrup. Please.
Originally Posted by Hawgman
What Ford guy doesn't have a chip.... exhaust.... intake.... chrome plated cup holder.... driving lites on all the time...inflated ego...36 inch rubber.. naked lady mud flaps... trucker envy...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Prospect

cerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from AR
cerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from ARcerhai Has earned a rub and tug from AR

wow thats great, I remember when I was younger we use to tap birch trees and drink the sap after it fermented a little, you guys ever try to make birch syrup? that stuff is a little harder to make then maple and it costs five times more
Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

makes me wonder if the **** in the stores is 100% real maple syrup?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Pretty cool. We got some stuff on our honeymoon on the north shore, was a pretty cool little place, lines running everywhere as you got there but was some OLD buildings that they restored and opperating in. Was honor system in the store.. pretty cool ya can still find places that opperate and work like that. Oh and the syrup and honey we bought were awesome!

Gonna see if I can find pics of that place...

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
BCR's Souless Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerhai View Post
wow thats great, I remember when I was younger we use to tap birch trees and drink the sap after it fermented a little, you guys ever try to make birch syrup? that stuff is a little harder to make then maple and it costs five times more
I know you can, but the sugar content is lower so it takes more.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
BCR's Souless Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Du View Post
makes me wonder if the **** in the stores is 100% real maple syrup?
Read the label, some is, some is cut with fake. It says 100% if it is. And you pay for it.

Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Sauces and marinades