Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
REBEL

lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR
lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 2002 ski doo legend 700 mod sled build

I had the chance to buy a mint 2002 legend 700 with mechanical reverse, 121 track, electric start and all the other luxury items, got it pretty cheap and it has low kms. I had a chance to drive it in to my camp earlier this year and besides having the worst suspension and lowest handlebars I like the power of that 700, started in minus 30 with no issues, idled all day long, didnt miss a beat.

My buddy that owned it bought an Alpine 2 so sold me the legend cheap. So, now comes the part i like most, modding it. I am going to mod it in one day from top to bottom, take all my stuff off the polaris and swap it to the 700 and call it a day. I like the XLT mod but i drive to remote places and the triple is good but I am going to blow it up sometimes soon the way i drive - and in the worst place. And... the 700 will give me more hp to play with right away.

Here is what I will do:

159 track
8 tooth drivers
19t upper
keep reverse
ditch the e start
ditch the hood for a lexan hood
gripper skis from the xlt
risers and bars from the xlt
crank up the front suspension
install my rev xp suspension with rail extension for this season
buy timbersled rear this summer
crankshop pipes/head shave and reeds this summer (about 13hp??)
ditch the seat install my polaris seat
install tunnel extension from polaris

Questions:

1. will my hyvo gears and chain from the xlt fit the doo??? the chaincase looks the same! same splines???

2. would i need to put a clutch kit in???

3. will the 2 inch track fit under the tunnel with the 9T drivers?? (are they 9 tooth factory drivers?) I have 8T's to put on if i have to.

3. anything else i should do?

Pics coming soon.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Seedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from ARSeedie_Man Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If you are going to change the pipe just get a Dyno Port single, forget the twins. Much harder to tune the twins and you get better low and mid range power with the single.

You will want to set the rear susp. back about 3-4 inches.

A 2 inch should fit but if you leave the 9 tooth in you will want to drop the top gear to 17 or 18. You are stuck with a 43 bottom with the mech. reverse.

If you put the 8 tooth drivers in you can fit a 159 x 16 x 2.3 lug in.

Primary clutch, put 299 ramps, hollow pins with a 160/350 or 160/380 spring.

Secondary not sure what spring (I think it's white) not sure what hole either, use a 44 helix. If you can find a Team go with the Red/Black spring and a straight 42 or 38 helix.

Don't think the Polaris gears will interchange.

If you need to replace the pistons, use the 2 ring pistons for a 670 HO, fit right in no mods needed.

Any more questions, just ask. I will do my best to answer them.

Seedie

By the way I have 5 ZX's, 600 w/144x16, 600 HO w/159x16x2.3, 700 156x15 (king of the hill by a bunch), 800 156x15 and 800 151x15 (soon to be 159x16x2.3). The spares are a 96' 670 151x15 and 99' 670X 151x15. The kids love to ride the mountains, I can't afford 5 XP's.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Chappy509 Graveler Wishes he was you

I just put a 144 kit on my 03 zx with the 700 this fall with 2" track with my 9 tooth drivers still on it. Very tight, but does fit. If you have 8 tooth drivers, i would do it.( yes, 9 is stock) I went with a 21 top tooth gear, works well for my applacation, but i am also on the east coast. That 700 engine is tough! My chassis is a 800 x package, but 800 has blown 3 times. I put 02 700 engine last summer(with 5,500 miles) and have pounded it last year and up to now. compression still good and no mech. issues. 800 would have blown by now.

I am interested to watch this build.

I may have to pick Seedie Mans brain too at some point, sounds like he knows more about clutching in this applacation then i do....
Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
REBEL

lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR
lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Are you guys installing new rear suspensions or just adding rail extensions to the existing suspension??? I pick mine up next week and pretty sure it has a coupled suspension. I have the revxP 2009 susp but it is coupled and not very good indeep powder, awesome on the trail though.

That info is perfect guys thanks very much. Im going to try the hyvo gears for the heck of it but impretty sure they wont work. Ill make the clutching chAnges too.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 AM

Chappy509 Graveler Wishes he was you

I am running rail extentions, mostly cause i was plannig a low budget build. If i run this sled at all next year i will most likely upgrade the whole skid, probably a m series.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
REBEL

If anyone has any of those clutch componenets for sale please let me know!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM

03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU REPLACE THE PISTONS RIGHT AWAY TOO SPI DUEL RING PISTONS REEDS ARE A MOST GO WITH BOYSEN RAGE CAGES CRANKSHAFT PIPES FOR SURE NOTHING BETTER THEN TWIN PIPES GEAR IT DOWN A TOOTH PUT A SECONDARY CLUCH KIT IN IT AND REPLACE ALL COMPONENTS IN PRIMARY K&A FILTERS OR UNI THERES A GUY IN MINNESOTA THAT DOES PORTING AND HEADS IM GETTING A HEAD FROM HIM AND MAYBE SOME PORTING I WOULD CHECK THE BARRINGS IN THE CRANK RIGHT AWAY ITS THE ONLY PROBLEM IN SOME ZX 700S GREAT SLEDS AND YOU CAN LIGHTEN AND ADD SO MUCH HORSE POWER THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD BUY A REV UNLESS IT HAD A 700 ZX MOTOR INTO IT
Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM

03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR03 zx 144 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

ALSO WITH THE TWINS ON A 700 GO UP TO 540 MAINS
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
REBEL

Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP
Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP

I have to say the 700 is a tuff motor that runs great but if you have any major motor problems good luck finding parts as they didn't produce a lot of 700's. I know in the midwest the motor is worth more than the whole sled is.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM
REBEL

Thanks for the pointers guys keep them coming! Just got a diamond S lightweight hood for it - the build is beginning!

If anyone has any parts I can use please let me know.

I need....everything!

I'd like a timbersled rear for it - 159, I can extend
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS