Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > DAKOTAS

Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Prospect

AK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Moving to Minot from Alaska

I'll be moving to Minot this summer from Alaska. Been up here for 8 years and have been spoiled, but I lived in Grand Forks for 5 years before coming up here. We liked ND when we were there before.

My question is should I offload my M8 before coming down there? Does it snow enough there to make it worth keeping the M8? How far to trailer to some decent mountains? Does anyone trailer to the Mtns to ride from there?

2000 Indy 340
Kids sled
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
"bottom end killer "

flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR
flatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from ARflatlander_summit Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-DMK View Post
I'll be moving to Minot this summer from Alaska. Been up here for 8 years and have been spoiled, but I lived in Grand Forks for 5 years before coming up here. We liked ND when we were there before.

My question is should I offload my M8 before coming down there? Does it snow enough there to make it worth keeping the M8? How far to trailer to some decent mountains? Does anyone trailer to the Mtns to ride from there?
One that that you probably want to start looking for right now is housing with the flood and oil boom it is impossible to find anywhere to live. I could be wrong though, based on you being in GF before, now Alaska, and soon Minot you may be in the military.

We all have mountain sleds from around here and most of us ride them around here, but they are overkill of course. Bismarck is about 8 hours from the Big Horns, 5 or 6 hours from the Black Hills, 12 or so hours from West Yellowstone and Cooke City and about 14 hours from Togwottee. Most of us seem to make the trip 2-4 times a year depending on the snow.

By the way, welcome to ND!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
RENTAL WRECKER

Sattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLP
Sattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLP

Mirror what flatlander_summit said. I ride the mountain sled here and out west.

Good luck finding a home in Minot, not a lot of options up there right now.
Forum Member #77
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"
Rough Rider Snowmobile Association
Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Prospect

AK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARAK-DMK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander_summit View Post
One that that you probably want to start looking for right now is housing with the flood and oil boom it is impossible to find anywhere to live. I could be wrong though, based on you being in GF before, now Alaska, and soon Minot you may be in the military.

We all have mountain sleds from around here and most of us ride them around here, but they are overkill of course. Bismarck is about 8 hours from the Big Horns, 5 or 6 hours from the Black Hills, 12 or so hours from West Yellowstone and Cooke City and about 14 hours from Togwottee. Most of us seem to make the trip 2-4 times a year depending on the snow.

By the way, welcome to ND!
Thanks for the intel. Yes I'm in the Air Force, this may be my last assignment. I've been learning about the housing situation in Minot this afternoon. Doesn't sound good. I may actually have to move there and leave the family in AK. Not sure how it's going to work yet. I don't move till June so I've got a little time to figure something out.

Good to hear there are mountain riders in the area...after riding mountains for the last 8 years I'm not looking forward to ditch banging agian...lol. I'll be making that trip as often as I can for sure. Look forward to meeting some new sled heads!

2000 Indy 340
Kids sled
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
REBEL

7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Good news is the BAH in Minot is awesome!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Very Long Member

papafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from AR
papafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from ARpapafinger Has earned a rub and tug from AR

there are an absolute ton of flatlanders from mn, nd, sd, ia, that make the commute out west at least twice a yr in the winter to enjoy the snow. Keep the mnt sled. Probably won't have any desire to trail ride anyway and if there is enuf snow to ditch bang you have enuf snow to ride the mnt sled. Welcome to the midwest and if you need anything just yell aimlessly accross the barren territory....
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
REBEL

7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR7.62 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafinger View Post
...Welcome to the midwest and if you need anything just yell aimlessly accross the barren territory....
Unfortunately, not so much the case anymore from Minot towards the west.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 PM

Lugnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-DMK View Post
I'll be moving to Minot this summer from Alaska.
I too have been spoiled with mountain riding in AK. Seems silly to bring a RMK Pro 800 163" to ND but I guess I will be "That Guy". I look forward to wearing out a few sets of ice scratchers. I just hope 2014 begins a long run of epic record snow falls for the Dakotas!

Definitely working to squeeze every ounce out of this last snow season in Anchorage.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
REBEL

^ Air Force as well?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 AM

Lugnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
^ Air Force as well?
Yes!