Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken

Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 PM
THE CREW

Tudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLP
Tudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLP

Oh yeah...I had a huge fire pit in a restaurant. Between the oven..roti...and wood grill we burned 2 cords a week.

Sear them off first in an wood oven them finish off on the roti.

Suckling pigs...whole lamb....we jammed some crazy stuff on that thing.

The rib roast I did here had to feed a few kids...so kept it on the mild side....variations just make it better!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM
REBEL

PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR
PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR

So you were a restaurant owner? Makes sense cause some of the stuff I see you post makes me wanna eat my laptop.

JR: "By the time I got to Omaha to pick up my new sled, I was so tired I thought the Care Bears were my co-pilots."
Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM
RICER

MXRacer58 is off the scaleMXRacer58 is off the scaleMXRacer58 is off the scaleMXRacer58 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter View Post
Now, could on do the same, but in a smoker? I would think you could but time would be a huge factor.

Since PR is never really cooked well done, more medium to medium rare. Do you check to see it's at the desired completion with a thermometer?
Smoked prime rib is delicious! But IMHO I prefer them better non smoked.

Diz, I just ate my monitor!!

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.Depression is when you lose your job.Recovery is when Obama loses his job!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM
"that didn't really happen did it?"

EricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AR
EricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AREricW Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I would think you could could do a couple hour cold smoke on that cut and still do an oven finish as shown. I do that when I give them out as gifts. I do a couple hour cold smoke (80*or so) and then put it in an oven bag and into the fridge overnight to set the smoke flavor in the meat. It smells great while cooking and gives the nice smokey flavor to the meat for those who don't have smokers.

Diz, I keep hearing all this talk about putting the cut in the oven fat side up. Theory is that the juices would flow down through the meat better. My thought is heat always rises. What's your take on cooking fat side up?. I also wonder how much juice would be lost through the garlic punctures if it were upside down. Good eats. EW
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
THE CREW

Tudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLP
Tudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLPTudizzle Offical PLP

Some people swear by the upside down or fat side down method.

I prefer the fat on top....melts down over the meat. I also prefer the fat to be sizzling and crusty...if you do it up side down it melts the fat...but remains soft.

I was more demo'n the basic technique of preparing the roast.

I prefer to cook over fire....but with negative temps that week...I didn't want to be in and out in my xmas skivvies!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Just Got Here

dreamforsnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great! I cook mine at 500 for 5 min per pound then turn oven off and leave for 2 hrs and its a perfect med rare everytime just dont open the oven!!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken