Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Prospect

Snow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from AR

the 503 is a fan cooled, with no oil injection (read pain in the A**).
But I like the idea of doing a reserve tank or something to help balance. I'll have to see how that works out.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 PM
REBEL

lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR
lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR

check out my 503/540 elan build i use alot of the parts you are using. It'll be hard to get it under 340 but try as I'd love to see how it turns out.

503 = 93 pounds
track 46 pounds
rear suspension 56 pounds unless you go with a timbersled then 36 pounds
chaincase and secondary 30-35 pounds
axle 8
skis 5 each
gas tank 10
seat 10
handlebars 5
steering 10

285 give or take so far so without the hood or chassis and front suspension.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Prospect

Snow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshobie View Post
check out my 503/540 elan build i use alot of the parts you are using. It'll be hard to get it under 340 but try as I'd love to see how it turns out.

503 = 93 pounds
track 46 pounds
rear suspension 56 pounds unless you go with a timbersled then 36 pounds
chaincase and secondary 30-35 pounds
axle 8
skis 5 each
gas tank 10
seat 10
handlebars 5
steering 10

285 give or take so far so without the hood or chassis and front suspension.
I also weighed the parts as I disassembled everything. Its interesting some of my numbers are different, and some are similar.

The rear skid from a 75 TNT - 37lbs
Engine with exhaust manifold - 65
chaincase + secondary - 20
exhaust - 18
drive sprocket -8 same as yours
I figure the track is an easy 50lbs
the rest of your numbers seem reasonable as I haven't weighed them yet.

the model I have as shown in the picture is at 285-290, and I have cowling, belly pan, front shocks, rear shocks, and few more pieces for seat mounts, etc to do. I figure I'll come in around 325. but that remains to be seen.
Its great to see your numbers for comparison.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
REBEL

lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR
lshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from ARlshobie Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Ah, when i weighed the 503 it has the custom motor mounts on it, maybe it was 83 pounds - would have ot look at my notes. the old tnt skid is a 114"? you'll need a longer skid and if you put that whole sled together with that nasty suspension you'll hate it been there done that hence the timbersled 151 in mine now. I also think the pogo suspension from a tundra can be made lighter and can is better for a project sled, light and simplicity. The way my buddy welded the pogos in mine is bad - not strong and actually very heavy - should be able to know 10 pounds off it next year.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Prospect

I ordered my steel tubing today. Hurray!
This order is obviously an important step in making any sort of progress.
Now I just need to finish making some space in the garage and get my "chassis table" leveled and prepped.

Quote:
Ah, when i weighed the 503 it has the custom motor mounts on it, maybe it was 83 pounds - would have ot look at my notes. the old tnt skid is a 114"? you'll need a longer skid and if you put that whole sled together with that nasty suspension you'll hate it been there done that hence the timbersled 151 in mine now. I also think the pogo suspension from a tundra can be made lighter and can is better for a project sled, light and simplicity. The way my buddy welded the pogos in mine is bad - not strong and actually very heavy - should be able to know 10 pounds off it next year.
lshobie the skid that was in the donor was a 121 and I am planning on modifying it to accommodate my 151" track. As far as the front suspension goes I've gone out on a limb and designed my own A-arm geometry.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
REBEL

Very cool - I can't wait to see it - i don't have the skills to design anything too advanced so kudos to you.

Very cool! We'll have to race our sleds when you are done!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Very cool - I can't wait to see it - i don't have the skills to design anything too advanced so kudos to you.

Very cool! We'll have to race our sleds when you are done!!!
I don't know when I'll be near Ottowa but sure!
My problem is that I have the design skills but am limited with my fabrication.
I do a little bit of guessing on things too...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
REBEL

Nothing ventured nothing gained
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Prospect

Have made some progress on my tube frame Over the long weekend. Will post pics when I can get them off my phone
Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_ME View Post
Have made some progress on my tube frame Over the long weekend. Will post pics when I can get them off my phone
So I'm a dirt bag and didn't get the pics off my phone because they just didn't seem worthy. I have made some progress but no pics, will work on that this weekend. Hopefully something worthy to put up here.
I did get some goodies for Christmas that will hopefully make the build easier. Picked up a bender and tube notcher from Harbor freight; they are cheap but for as much as I will use them they should work. the bender is made for bending solid stock so a modification is in order to bend the tube that I have. I am trying to think of a way to make a cheap set of dies for it.

I did get some parts back from the CNC plasma cutter, so I have my shear plates for the front of my sled.

I'll put pics up soon, PROMISE!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS