Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Prospect

Snow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Smile Tube Chassis Powder sled

I was inspired to join after reading RLFCOM's build thread, which by the way I am looking forward to seeing more of!
I was also inspired to share my budget tubie build as well. Since I'm a mechanical engineer I've taken the time to model up my design before I begin so I can get everything layed out before I start cutting metal. That and since I'm trying to do this on budget it gives me something to do while I save up my funds.

My goal is to have it less than 300lbs dry, according to my calculations and modeling I should be close, but maybe slightly over.
Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TLA-2.jpg (42.4 KB, 1866 views)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM
REBEL

2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP
2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP

welcome to the site
sled looks pretty cool
that weight would be nice as well

The New Definition of Minority Is "Working, Tax Paying, Citizen"

www.seidahoinvestigations.com
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Prospect

Snow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from ARSnow_ME Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thanks, I still have a lot to do but am excited to start cutting some metal soon.
I not the biggest guy in the world and a light sled is important to me.

My apologies its Rlcofmn's thread that did the inspiring.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

So what size tube are you using? Track size? Engine?

It all adds up and adds up fast, good looking model tho can't wait to see more of your build!

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
REBEL

2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP
2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP2001rmk700 Offical PLP

keep up to date and lots of pics

The New Definition of Minority Is "Working, Tax Paying, Citizen"

www.seidahoinvestigations.com
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM

SteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from ARSteepandDeep Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Welcome to the site! I live close to you, located in Superior. Cant wait to see pics of you build!!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Prospect

Ah yes I knew I was forgetting something, the technical details!
I picked up a couple of old ski-doos as donors, since they were free I can"t complain. So alot of the parts come from them.
the engine is a 1980 Rotax model 503, and the secondary and chain case come from a '75 TNT.
I picked up a used 151-152" x 15" track and modified the drive axle to accommodate it.
I also picked up a set of stock 03 summit skis and spindles, which are way better than the old sleds metal skis(20lbs a piece!).

As far as tube sizes go I want ed to go with .75" x 0.35 wall steel but I don't think my welder will be able to weld that thin. So I am going with .625" x .049 for the tunnel with .375 x .049 for the cross pieces. Up front I'm planing on using 1" x .049 square tube.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Only thing I see is that with the chaincase and clutches both on the same side, is keeping the weight distributed evenly left-to-right. Makes a big difference in how a sled will handle.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Only thing I see is that with the chaincase and clutches both on the same side, is keeping the weight distributed evenly left-to-right. Makes a big difference in how a sled will handle.
True, but that's what I get for using parts from the 70's. I'm hoping the weight of the exhaust on the right side will help even things out.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_ME View Post
True, but that's what I get for using parts from the 70's. I'm hoping the weight of the exhaust on the right side will help even things out.
Or put oil/coolant bottles over there. Maybe a spare gas can/reserve tank for some ballast.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS