Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default do you cut your own meats?

I found a bitchin way to keep my freezer full of meat

I go to cash and carry - buy a sack of ribeye steak (uncut) and carry that badboy home and cut it up myself

yesterday I picked up a ~10lb sack of ribeye for $5.17 / lb it was a hotsheet special

compare that to $11.99 / lb Safeway, COSTCO over 10 bucks/lb

then I seal a meal steaks

my cuts though could be a bit better, does anyone use a meat slicer? I'd like to slice up the ribeye thru a slicer with almost frozen meat.

also got a big chub of hamburger did the same thing, pretty good just under $2.00 lb for 85/15 lean

Last edited by DKY; 08-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Yep. Been doing the same for years. I can still catch ny's on sale for $2.99 a lb at times! Buy a whole ny or 2 and cut them up. Try as you were thinking next time but with a knife. Afew hours in the freezer just to firm them up a bit. Cuts real nice. Been doing the burger for years as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR

all my butcher knives are victorinox forschner I have a 6" boning knife, 8" breaker and a 14" cimeter. If you are interested I can get them for pretty cheap.

I wouldn't freeze whole primals at all unless just tempering for a slicer, you will lose some moisture in the process. Buying 10lb bulk tubes of ground beef is the way to go. cut them in half then run 4 even cuts down one side and 4 even cuts down the other and you have roughly 1lb pkgs. You want quick patties, get a little frost on the tube and cut it about an 1" patties.

Costco and safeway steaks are typically select, not bad but not great either, look for choice or prime.

Got any questions on primals and what comes outta what shoot me a PM
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

What kind of freezer do you have to keep all that meat in?

The one in my kitchen is full of frozen pizzas and hot pockets.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

2 Chest freezers in a spare bedroom. One is full of fish and shrimp, the other will soon be full of caribou and moose...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
2 Chest freezers in a spare bedroom. One is full of fish and shrimp, the other will soon be full of caribou and moose...
spare bedroom eh - lol! dedication there

I got an upright freezer only in the garage, I hate the upright as it lets all the air out when you open it - and sometimes the kiddies don't get the door shut all the way

but it has a lot of flat shelving which is nice for freezing meats nice and flat.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken