Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ARIZONA

Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Prospect

Vitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Vitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up To The Trees! To The Trees!

I love it when a plan comes together.

A pair of desert dwellers set out to ride in some trees over the weekend. Perfect weather on great trails made for a fantastic day on bikes.

We left the Phoenix valley around 4:00 in the afternoon and were setting up camp by 7:00 in the evening.
There was only one other group camped and they really didnít seem to be in it for the riding. They did like idling their bikes for 15-20 minutes at time though. Not revving them up or doing donuts around their tent like a quadtard would. They just let them idle. I thought they had a generator over there at first. It was weird to us anyway.

Around 3:00 am I came to the conclusion that I am too old to be sleeping on a ĹĒ pad. Something to remember for next timeÖ

We woke to semi frigid temperatures for us desert typesÖ

For a warm up we made a quick loop around Wing Mountain. Here Dave rounds a corner.

As you can see conditions are dry and dusty. No matter. Even with our super hard terrain tires it was better traction than the desert in the summer.

Although my baseline jetting learned from last summer was close. I decided to lower the needle one. It brought back some of the crispness Iím used to in the desert.

Enough messing around, itís time to ride!

More to comeÖ

I spent 18 years in North Bend. Iím used to guys staring at my bum.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

WTF IS WITH THE REI GEAR???

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Prospect

Vitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from ARVitamin_D Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
WTF IS WITH THE REI GEAR???
In a previous life (20 years ago) I was an avid backpacker.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Prospect

On to the Peaks loop! After a short stint on slab and a few miles of forest road we connect to singletrack.

The trails were clean, grippy compared to the desert, & rut free. There were plenty of log crossings but all of them were built up like little ramps that made it so easy even I could ride them. Note the hanging dust in the pictures. It was the theme for the day.

Here Dave negotiates a set of ďdoublesĒÖ Two log/ramp crossings just barely a bike length apart.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Prospect

Years ago the north side of the Peaks experienced a few microbursts.

As a result portions of the mountain look like a box of matches dropped on the ground.
These areas are interesting to ride through because all of the straight lines pointing in different directions in my peripheral give a slight sense of vertigo.

After a mile or so of riding through match sticks there is a small section of new growth.

This leads to an area missed by the storms. An example of the way it used to be.

Hereís another sequence of Dave coming round corner.

More on the wayÖ

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Prospect

More storm devastation with the Peaks in the background.

Certainly not the widest ribbon of trail I’ve ridden.

Another “Dave Approaching” sequence.

Because of dust we gave each other about a 1-2 minute gap. I stopped at the next intersection. Found a rock to sit on and took pictures to entertain myself. You gotta love the dirtbiker’s mustache! Even have my steed in the background! I couldn’t have done better if I tried.

So… Where is Dave? Just when I start to think about heading back to look for him…

More to come…

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Prospect

We are now out of the storm damaged mountainside and back into the trees.

Here Dave makes another log ramp look easy.

Then we pop out of the trees and into a valley that was so beautiful it forced me to stop for a picture.

Back into the trees for yet another log crossing sequence.

Stay tuned. The ride isnít over yet!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Prospect

Here Dave once again zips through the shadows the pines.

DOH! 55.8 miles into a 63.5 mile ride, my left bar clips a tree and sends me flying. There goes my perfect crash free score for the day. I guess that makes me consistent.

Dave makes a steep set of switchbacks looks easy.

Hold tight. I still have a few pictures left!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Prospect

Default Conclusion

Every once in a while we found a few rocks on the trail.

Perfect weather on great trails made for a extraordinary day to be a dirtbiker. We encountered only five other riders throughout the whole day. Other than the assorted deer and elk running across the trail we damn near had the entire mountain to ourselves.

Dave
The other one.

Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ARIZONA