Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Prospect

WyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
So anyone got some time on these? How do the screens work in cold weather? Transmitting power is less than the older series, how noticeable? Likes or dislikes?
Bought 655t for Christmas, wife get the old 430.

I used mine for the first time last weekend, Not a lot of time ion it. Temp was int he low 20 and it worked fine. Love how you ca load different profiles on it. Can have custom maps on one and Topos on another with different coord systems.

It would not work with my heavy gloves, to be expected I guess!

This shows comparable transmit power: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....reProduct=8523
Did not get to test the range.

Will report more once I put more hours on it.

Support Albany County Search & Rescue
http://www.albanycountysar.org

Last edited by WyoRMK; 01-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Sounds good, a bunch in our club are possibly doing a group buy for some S&R, would like to hear the good and bad before we go through with it.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Prospect

WyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from ARWyoRMK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Rode with mine again this weekend. Did not get to use the radio very much so still can't report on that. I did however use the GPS, Camera, and custom map overlay.

Camera, Decent, not going to win any awards, but not bad.
The Custom maps worked good, was able to see the wilderness area next to the trail as we rode.

The touch screen worked great for me with and without gloves. I was using my leather palm Klim's with no issues!

Temp was in the low 20's!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Prospect

Update!

Went to charge my 655t last night! After about 30 minutes I grabbed it and it was really hot. Screen was distorted. Unplugged the charger, removed the battery and let it cool down. It was still showing 65% charge, same as when I plugged it in. Tried it several times same result. Now any time tha battery is on it, it heats up even if it is turned off.

Guess we will see how good Garmins service and Warranty are!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Just had almost same thing happen to my 62s..pissed right now.

Went dead after the first day of riding and when I put batteries in it heats up on the base/bottom of it. Just called garmin and theya re taking care of the issue, but sucks I lost all my tracks as they store on the unit itself.

Looking to upgrade when I get this one back to work with our search and rescue group. Debating to get the 530hcx or the new rhino..

Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM
REBEL

tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
Just had almost same thing happen to my 62s..pissed right now.

Went dead after the first day of riding and when I put batteries in it heats up on the base/bottom of it. Just called garmin and theya re taking care of the issue, but sucks I lost all my tracks as they store on the unit itself.

Looking to upgrade when I get this one back to work with our search and rescue group. Debating to get the 530hcx or the new rhino..

What kind of batteries were you using in your 62s? I have had mine for a little over a year now and it has worked great so far.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM

Just used alkaline energizer batteries, same one's I have used since day one. I like to use alkaline as the battery meter will show true battery life, not just die off at some random point. I also use it plugged in both in my vehicles and on the sled.

My GPS gets a LOT of use with work and play, use it at the office a lot. I have never had a failure like this on a gps yet and I work with them everyday. I am pretty sure it was not battery related but something else, garmin was great about it and already said I would be getting one back asap so little to no down time, which is what I was worried about.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
REBEL

tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thanks

I just use the alkaline batteries too - but I don't use it that often.

If I am riding in a familiar area I leave it turned off. If I am riding in a new area I leave it on if the weather is bad or snow is super deep. I hope that the newer GPS units are not like cell phones - (wear out after a year or two.....)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM

I have a garmin etrex that is pretty outdated but still works awesome. The tech in GPS is pretty good and Garmin makes a really great consumer product. I use Trimble GPS units and the garmins outlast them IMO, it's just the software in them is dated so fast comapred to our bulky super accurate work units just because the consumer needs and tech available changes so fast. But honestly we have less issues with the garmins that the high dollar units as far as parts/accessories/software versions/data goes, they work great.

I did test my etrex vs. our Trimble TS3 and Trimble GEO3 and it was suprisingly accurate to within about 30ft of the units, and newer units would be even closer. If it wasn't for the extra features of sub-meter accuracy and data correction on the fly while in the field as well as database updating in the field, Garmin would have my vote on rugged accurate units that are a lot smaller and work just fine.

Back on topic tho.. sorry for the long windedness... haha

Anyone run both the 530hcx and now the 600 or 655? Likes/dislikes between the switch? Can you run birdseye on the 530hcx?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Prospect

They are having me send the 655t in for service! The damn thing is only 3 weeks old and I have to pay! Kind of pizzed at that!

I have a 530hcx and it is a bullet proof unit!
The thing i like about the 655 is the custom map overlays.

No birds eye on the 530. It is topos only.

Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES