Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKToad View Post
Talked to guy in Whittier that built a CF xp With the C3 chassis. He said it took him 3/4 of a season to destroy a 2010 stock alum chassis and 2 rides to destroy the CF one. Now he said he is goin to the pro.
Not surprising, this is why mine will be a foam core. Cored structures, especially when using CF, are extremely strong. Next winter is just going to be a lot testing. Not to sidetrack from Rick's thread, but here's a good link http://www.diabgroup.com/americas/u_..._Marine_TB.pdf I have more links if you're interested, CF is some amazing stuff.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Just Got Here

Revster is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe how much you've got done already! I'm really looking forward to following this build!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
I can't believe how much you've got done already! I'm really looking forward to following this build!
Glad to see you made it over here Revster, your detailed threads are always fun to read. TY is reminding me too much of Snowest so hopefully more will come over and read/comment on the thread here.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 AM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I didn't really do much on the sled tonight, had other stuff I had to do. But I got my old sled brought in to the shop to pull the engine out.

R.I.P.

Since I'm a little kid and have to play around.
Hows it look? Nytro R
Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Plastics work! haha

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 AM
REBEL

Didn't spend any time on the sleds this weekend, went out playing instead.

Will get back at it tomorrow

Pulling Chutes summer style

The little Jet boat, I'm thinking Turbo????
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
REBEL

OK, Back to the build.

Spent all evening working on the left side upper A arm, this part is not fun at all and very time consuming. But I'm going to spend as much time as I have to so the jig ends up perfect.

I tried to measure up and tack the bar in place, but found it was going to be too hard to get it perfect.

So I ended up making a Jig for the Jig.

Using multiple squares and levels to measure up for my template.

Then I started to lay out the template. It is very hard to see the scribes so I did some very crappy drawing and will do the best I can to describe the process of laying it out.

I first used the squares to find my distance from center of the the edge of each mount and layed the distances off of center on the sheet. Then since it is compounding angles (going up and in) there are multiple ways to figure out my actual length but the easiest way is to measure the outside of the mounts and scribe a radius with that measurement on the metal. Then where those points intersect is my actual length.

Then I did the same on the other side and connected the 4 points getting me a exact template of my front mounts.

I'm sure this didn't make any sense but you cant blame me for not trying lol

Its made out of .100" so I used a skill saw to cut the straight sides

Then I added tabs that will hold the template on top and also will be able to scribe them and locate my mounting blocks. Cut out the rest using a Jig saw.

New template on the jig, I will add some square tubing to the bottom tomorrow to act as guides and stiffen it up. Then I will be able to camp it to both sides, level it up and weld my left side in place.

This was a really time consuming project but will be worth it. I am planning on having to do the same thing on the lower mounts as well but it will be a lot easier to lay out.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Gotta say you Alaskans build some good lookin stuff... Still think that Nytro/IQR loos sweet haha... IQR plastics fit the nytro?? k

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
Gotta say you Alaskans build some good lookin stuff... Still think that Nytro/IQR loos sweet haha... IQR plastics fit the nytro?? k
No, nether of them fit each other for sh!t, it would be funny if they did though.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM
REBEL

Finally after about 8 hours worth of work I got the left upper A arm mount in place.

Jig in place clamped to my Right side mount and with the tube for the left clamped in place.

Then I just had to level it, tack it, check it again and finish weld it. I have not been welding any more than I have to, to reduce the amount of heat put into the jig and keep it from warping. Everything is made heavy so I only need a 1/2" or so of weld per side.

Upper A arm mounts done!!!

All of the blocks for my mounts are marked so then I will just bolt them on once I get the sled out of the jig.

Tomorrow I will get the left lower mount done. Not sure If I will have to jig that one but if I do it will be a lot simpler.

Once thats done I will be lowering the sled back down into the Jig. Then a couple more mounts for the bottom of the chassis, steering hoop, steering mounts, Drive shaft, and the stock motor mount jig (just in case) and the jig will be done. Stoked to get the a arm mounts done since everything else will be simple.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS