Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Looking good Rick!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstormin View Post
This looks awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and details so that those of us with significantly fewer skills can follow along.
Can't wait to see it on the snow next year.
I don't know about skills, more like too much time and stupidity. I keep telling myself I should just buy a brand new sled every year and I would be money a head and have a lot more time.

Thanks Caleb, I'm stoked for yours. It will make mine look lame, but someone has to keep you on your toes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I may just end up doing a tunnel(s) for this next winter to see how it holds up and what I need to change/modify if anything. I'd hate to do a whole chassis only to have it fail because of something I overlooked. Carbon Fiber is expensive and I'd like to get some detsructive testing on a couple tunnels first. I also want to use a CMX belt drive and run equal length a-arms so I'm thinking it might be a couple year project.

It's easier to buy a new sled, but what fun is that. Keep up the good work, it motivates me to work on my pile.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM
REBEL

AKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Talked to guy in Whittier that built a CF xp With the C3 chassis. He said it took him 3/4 of a season to destroy a 2010 stock alum chassis and 2 rides to destroy the CF one. Now he said he is goin to the pro.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I didn't spend too much time at the shop tonight and most of it was spent cleaning but I did get a little done.

Got the right side A arm mounts tacked in place, just the shock mount and the easy side is done.

The tie rod hole that I will run through to tie into my steering mount points. Because I don't have a pipe to clear, my post will be straight so that will be fabbed up later. But I will use the stock IQR bell cranks so the mounting holes for them will be jigged up. That way my steering geometry will stay the same.

The two round steel objects you see are for my jig and the steering bolts are going through them.

Started on the left upper a arm mount, this one will probably be the toughest of them all. At this point now I am no longer using the sled to make my jig. It is all by measuring off the other side. So tomorrow I will probably lift the sled up out of the jig to make it easyer to measure.

I can't wait to get the sled out of the jig and start laying ot the tubing!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
REBEL

Mag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLP
Mag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlcofmn View Post
Yeah I will have a ton of time into the jig but a good jig is the start of a good sled. I will also be able to use the jig multiple times if I wad up the sled or to make another
Or to make a new chassis for your buddy Chuck who now has 2 1/2 new 800 cfi motors
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post
I also want to use a CMX belt drive.
I was going to machine my own case off a xp design and run C3's kit because its way cheaper but talking to him I'm not sure there belt would hold up to the abuse my sled takes. CMX uses a belt specific to there kit that is supposed to be 40 percent stronger. There kit including the break on the driveshaft is so nice too.

I think these belts look really cool and I would love to build a kit using them. But I dont want to spend all season blowing belts trying to get the right set up. The snowmobile drive system is so far off of there engineering software that it would just be a guessing game.
http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3400

I blow enough belts on the other side of the sled I dont need to be blowing them on both sides.

Last edited by Rlcofmn; 05-11-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Or to make a new chassis for your buddy Chuck who now has 2 1/2 new 800 cfi motors
I'm building a stock motor mount jig just for you buddy
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Speaking of that...

I need a IQR motor plate/straps Chad? Rusty? Anything will do.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 PM
REBEL

Mag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLP
Mag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLPMag Offical PLP

Quote:
Nice !
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS