Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 AM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Nytro Tube Chassis

Since summer is here it's time to start the new build thread. I have been working on it for a few weeks and It will take me a few days to get the pictures caught up to where I am now. I will have pictures of the whole build including making the tools and Jigs to build it.

Here is my sled as it sits now
2008 Nytro MTX

The new table built for the jig

The Loaner sled to build the frame Jig off of
2008 IQR
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 AM
REBEL

Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Rlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from ARRlcofmn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Tearing down the IQR

Starting work on the frame Jig

I will get more posted tomorrow hopefully then I'll have it up to date.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 AM
REBEL

Now that the sled is mounted to the jig I have to start doing the front susp mounting points. Now when you see things that don't look like the easiest way to do it, it is because even though this sled hasn't been wrecks it in not very straight. Obviously it is good enough for Polaris' QC but I can get myself to spend a ton of time on a crooked jig.

So basically what I have to do is jig one side of the sled then take the sled out of the jig and make a mirror image of it all by hand. That is why I am doing everything in ways that will be easy to duplicate.

For the arms mounts I used 1 1/4 square bar then machined it to length so all of my mounts are perfect (not just close like factory). Then I put in a off center hole for my mounting bolt to go through. By using square for these I can easily measure and duplicate it on the other side.

Drilling the offset hole

The 8 A arm mounts, 1 with the hole in it. The shorter ones are for the lowers, since there is a lip on there if I didn't have removable spacers on each side I would not be able to get it off the jig.

Making these was very time consuming having to use a 4 jaw chuck so instead of self centering I have to adjust all 4 jaws independently. But that also allows me to drill the offset hole.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 AM
REBEL

Now to get to the point where I am now and to show the reason for using the square mounting points.

Basically the idea is that I can run a bar forward matching the angle of the mounts and perfectly level side to side.

This way I can match the angle on the other side and use a level across them to make them a perfect match. Then with the square mounting blocks all I have to do is line the one edge up with the bar and space them perfectly with a square.

Here is where I ended tonight, I got the lower square tubing in place and started measuring for the upper tube. Then I will add a couple angles to keep it rigid and run a tube up from the upper tube to my shock mount. The 2 steering mounting points will be easy as well since I can bolt a angle to the bottom of the upper mount going through the tie rod hole connecting those two points and be removable for obvious reasons.

You can see the spacers on the lower mounts and the little flange I had to avoid by using them.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
REBEL

Now for a Tool section of the build. I started this project a few weeks ago and I decided to finish it this past weekend. All of last year I used the cheapest tubing notcher a guy could find. Yes it worked but it was a PITA, didn't do the best job and it was wearing out.

So I was going to go all out and buy a nice one but then decided to take parts from my old notcher and a old broken mill vice to make my own to use on the lathe.

here was my initial lay up to get a design in my head.

Then I cut out a block of aluminum with a sawzall because I don't have a band saw. Then milled it down to size.

Then this past weekend I just had to mill down the height to get it to cut on center. The cut is not a perfect radios by any means but it was not necessary and I was just playing around.

New notcher in action just loosen the pivot bolt, adjust the angle, adjust the table to your cut line and engage feed. All I have to do is spray it with coolant. It is very simple and versatile. Plus it was free!

Last edited by Rlcofmn; 05-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Good work, sounds like you are gonna have about the same time building your work area as you will the sled.... haha

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
REBEL

AKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKToad Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Lookin good, I wish I had a lathe.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
REBEL

Yeah I will have a ton of time into the jig but a good jig is the start of a good sled. I will also be able to use the jig multiple times if I wad up the sled or to make another

The lathe is sweet to have, I use it for everything I can possibly imagine to use it for. The more I use it the more I learn. Since I have only had it since feb, there is still a lot to learn.
I am planing on milling my own chain case and billet bearing block for the other side to keep everything perfectly straight. I'm probably a idiot for doing doing my own drive system but it's what I do.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

We built a race chassis for a drag sled from scratch. Not quite to the level you are going. That is very impressive

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Prospect

akstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from ARakstormin Has earned a rub and tug from AR

This looks awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and details so that those of us with significantly fewer skills can follow along.
Can't wait to see it on the snow next year.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS