Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM
REBEL

knightkrawler00 Has earned a reach around from Rebel
Default '08 XP 800R engine knock.

Went for the first ride yesterday, temps about -5 degrees farenheight. Sled is a Summit X with just shy of 1000 miles on it. About 20 miles into the ride I came to a stop and heard a knock from the front of the sled, not consistent and not real loud, RPM was hanging at 3200. Ran the sled another mile down the trail, hard, and stopped again. Knock was noticeably louder and more consistent. I can hear it real well on PTO side, can not hear it while moving. Babied it back to the truck and brought it home. I couldn't get it to make noise after it was home. Research turned up quite a few people that have primary clutches knocking at that RPM. I'm a master ASE tech, but don't have much experience on 2-strokes. If it were a car making this noise, I'd be thinking wrist pin or rod bearings. Is there any way to isolate this noise further before tearing it down?

Brought to you by the Second Amendment.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
REBEL

montanasledhead Has earned a rub and tug from ARmontanasledhead Has earned a rub and tug from ARmontanasledhead Has earned a rub and tug from AR
montanasledhead Has earned a rub and tug from ARmontanasledhead Has earned a rub and tug from AR

check run out on crank that will tell you if your crank is the culprit
sounds like you had a main not getting lube did you run it before while it was above freezing
had a buddy who went right out first ride of year and it was below zero
condensation in oil line from summer sitting froze and oil didnt get to pto side bearing
just what the dealer said if you trust them
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
REBEL

I won't have the chance to look into it further until this weekend. It didn't get run more than on and off the trailer a couple of times over the summer.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 PM
REBEL

Just ordered a bunch of clutch parts, lets hope it fixes the knock.

I pulled the spark plugs, other than needing to be changed there was no debris on them. Pulled the Rave valves and inspected the pistons, they look great. The Rave valves themselves are a little carboned up, but not bad at all. Pulled the primary and measured crank runout, .001" at the very end of the snout, good to go there. Disassembled the primary and found the bushings on the moveable sheave and spring cup are completely worn out. The moveable sheave is broken where the circlip holds the bushing in and the circlip is pulling out as well. Rollers are good, ramps are good, the arms move free, and the buttons are in good shape. I'm replacing the moveable sheave, spring cup bushing, roller washers, button o-rings, and installing an adjustable pin kit. I hope my noise is gone, this is my Christmas present!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
REBEL

Winter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLP
Winter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLP

Side-to-side play on the arm pivots is a source of knocking in the TRA also. Even if they have little play in their direction of movement, they also wear on the "sides" of the bushings....should have very little play to the side.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
REBEL

The arm pivots and rollers are great.

Here's some pics of the moveable sheave.

I've got a thread going on Doo Talk as well. Apparently the bushing in the spring cup is crimped in, so the new one needs to be glued, but not many people have had luck with this so they replce the cup. I elected for the bushing due to price, but may order the spring cup to save further headache down the road. Anybody here have any experience with this?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
REBEL

Winter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLP
Winter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLPWinter Brew Offical PLP

replace the sheave ! Do the untire spring cap, we have them for $58. You may be fine replacing just the bushing in the cap, but if it comes out it will cost you alot more.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM

the godfather Has earned a rub and tug from ARthe godfather Has earned a rub and tug from ARthe godfather Has earned a rub and tug from ARthe godfather Has earned a rub and tug from ARthe godfather Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i just pulled my primary apart ... same prob bushing in the spring cup came right out jammed itself into the plastic bushing inside of the spring rollers and ramps were fuct ........
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 AM
REBEL

Finally got to ride it. The noise is not changed. I did spend more time playing around with it while I had it on the snow. The knock will only be apparent when the engine is hot, as in having just been loaded and ran pretty hard. When cold, the knock is gone completely. When the knock is happening I can shut off the engine, spin the primary by hand until one of the pistons is coming up and rock it against compression and I can hear a slight tapping from the engine. I tried it with the plugs out and got nothing. put a plug in the mag side and heard something, then a plug in the pto side and heard a tapping. It is not the clutch arms making noise as I rock it by hand. I forgot to bring a stethoscope with me, unfortunately. Another thing I noticed is that my clutch is wobbling quite a bit. When I reinstalled it, I torqued the bolt to 90 ft. lbs. three times and I can't get any movement out of it or the crankshaft by hand. The crank runout was .001". Is this wobble maybe normal. Any more things I should try before I pull the engine and tear it down? I rode about 40 miles yesterday and it ran fine the whole time.

Also, I did replace the spring cap instead of just the bushing.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

mine does the same thing has since new 800 miles. almost sounds like an exhaust noise
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO