Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS

BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS We all like to see builds from the crate up. Bring us along for the creation.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Prospect

Reeb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Reeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up '99 Z440 Snopro to Monster FAN

Here's my write up of my little brother's sled.
Started out as my first sno-x sled in the winter of 1998/99.
56hp
438lbs
I was IN LOVE with the sled, been drooling over the liquid cooled version for months and the day I found out Cat released the Fan Snopro is the day Dad brought it home. I was stoked on getting the consumer Z440 but this machine was 10x better!

My sister, my dad, and I all beat the sled to near death every weekend racing in upto 5 classes over two days of racing. The sled was/is bulletproof and would take everything we put it through.
Raced it until 2002/03 season when we stopped racing sno-x. I only raced it for 3 years though, my second sled raced in the "fan-cooled class" while I had new 440 liquids for my semi-pro excursions. Dad would sometimes prefer the fan over my liquids in the Masters classes and my sister wanted nothing to do with my liquid sleds.....she was happy on the old leafblower!
The sled had gone through various bumpers and gauges(don't ask how we kept breaking those???)
Over the years of racing we drilled and milled down the jackshaft/driveshafts, replaced all the foam in the seat with closed cell, installed titanium springs on the front shocks, and ceramic coated the stock exhaust system.
After racing ended we bored the carbs, blueprinted the motor, and installed a 121x2 BigHorn track.

Soon the sled was handed down to my little brother. He rode it in this stockish state for 3 years before we tore it down to bulkhead and tunnel. Everything was loose and it was in pretty rough shape. New rivets, new welds, and some new powdercoat and she was looking more like it used to.

**Now before I post pics of the transformation I do have to say I have all brand new plastics/hood/seat/suspension etc etc to put the sled back to complete original condition. It's a first year model in the last year chassis, will be my first Arctic-Cat in the collection.**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440fan03.jpg (58.3 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg 440fan01.jpg (54.2 KB, 1015 views)

NMFH....an enigma wrapped in a riddle.....

94 zr 700 twin turbo mach z triple with a holly double
pumper and belt drive.......on NAWWWZ!!!

Forever Sled'n...

Last edited by Reeb; 02-12-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Prospect

Reeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from ARReeb Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up

So the teardown process began,
we found cracks all over the place, 8 years of jumping, climbing, and towing other sleds outta the mountains took their toll on the old girl.
With some gussets, plates, and very nice welding and fab work by my buddy, the old Snopro was back in solid form and ready for a rebuild.

The plan was to stretch it out to a 141 with an Ekholm tunnel off of my '94 ZR carcass.

However the steel bulkheads had different mounting points than the aluminum ones, I'd have to hack away at the aluminum bulkhead to make the tunnel work.....this was an absolute no-no since the sled will be going back to stock at one point in the future.

So I had my buddy bend up a tunnel extension and take Cat extrusions and mount them up. Then deciding I didn't want to use any old suspension for this sled(was going to use a 136 mtn cat skid)
I bought new '09 Cat rails and mounted them to the skid pieces from a '06 M7. Titanium springs and Fox Zero Pros were a big upgrade from what I was planning on using. Also had a couple one off billet wheels we mounted up for a two wheel kit and used some MMP red billets for the upper idlers(which I had used originally as the rear idlers with the stock skid)

I bought a 141 Camo Extreme which is a 2.25" in the 3pitch design to wrap around the new skid.
I used to run 17/43 gearing when racing and would kill everyone, fan or liquid cooled into the first corner without hesitation. Topped out at 63mph. With the 7t drivers and 141 I have 20/40 gearing in it now.

One point that I didn't like was that my brother and dad didn't want the extension powdercoated or painted, they wanted the raw aluminum look with a freshly powdercoated stock tunnel section.

We also put some new shoes which are SLP Powder Pro's. Did the Carl's Mod to them, works great for a lightweight trying to throw any sled around.
Mtn Cat Mtn bar, and gave the sled a new paintjob and some decals.
I don't agree with all of the color combo's, but it's not my sled and my brother absolutely loves it the way it is.

Along the way we've updated it some more, I bought a 1M front end with Ti springs for it, new bars and risers, billet parts here and there. And the motor came apart after we seized it twice in one day(it ran all day long with a little oil down the plug holes and jetted up a size or two with colder plugs)

I forgot to mention I made a seat for the sled before we started to tear it down, Colton rode it with the new seat and Mtn Cat bars for a year before the teardown began.

I've also opened up the hole that the hot air scoop is mounted to, and vented the hood and belly pan quite a bit. Installed Dial-A-Jets and had UFO's in it from our racing days. Now the carbs are bored, and the cylinders got some more attention, as did the bottom end to match everything together.

I took the stock track, and suspension, weighed them, and then took the 141 CE and new skid and weighed them, lost 25lbs by going to a 141 from a 121. I was very impressed. The stock skid is literally a tank. I never thought 70+lbs was possible from a stock 121" skid. But Cat proved me wrong.

Also weighed the front suspension when we swapped over, lost 15lbs by bolting in the 1M front end with Zero Pros wrapped in Ti springs. Another impressive loss for the dollar amount. This included the skis and hard anodized aluminum bushings throughout. The stock Fox Shocks w/remote res are a very heavy shock.

Seat was 11lb weight loss, and the misc. weight from the jackshaft/driveshaft/venting/pipe shielding/lighter hood etc prob. amounts to around 10lbs.

Even more without the headlight, however we did put it back in as Colton's sled is the only one of our Cats(we have 3) with a light and sometimes those moonlit rides back to the truck aren't as fun as you might think.

Without weighing the sled, it would look like I took 61lbs off the sled. I do know it weighed 438lbs bone dry when it was brand spankin new. If that's the case it should weigh in at about 377lbs. Give or take a couple.

And we strapped it into our trackdyno, when we first had it on there we had 28hp at the track(This is years of clutching for sno-x courses, doubt it would hit 20hp stock) We ended with just over 36hp if I remember correctly(dyno sheets not accessible) in it's final incarnation(as it sits)

I think I can squeeze more out of it if I ceramic coat the heads and cylinders as well......if I can drop the EGT's a significant amount by doing the ceramic.....this thing gets a 30hp of Boss Noss for some R&D!

Here's a few build-up pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 136-3699_IMG (Small).JPG (45.4 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg mitchell spinks pics 148.jpg (79.5 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg mitchell spinks pics 151.jpg (83.8 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg mitchell spinks pics 181.jpg (56.5 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg mitchell spinks pics 182.jpg (64.9 KB, 502 views)

Forever Sled'n...

Last edited by Reeb; 10-04-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Prospect

List of things done to the sled as it sits right now.(Pics may show different but have been taken during various states of modifications)

1999 Z440 Snopro

BadAss 1M Seat
2"higher than stock, weighs 11lbs less. Flattop design with TONS of storage and fully removable and washable cover.

Custom Tunnel Extension
Super clean and still uses the old rear bumper which is literally over 2ft long and ties into the stock tunnel.

'09 Rails with '06 Ti M7 Skid - Zero Pro's, Ti torsion springs and front track shock equipped with a Ti spring. 8" BadAss Billet Wheels, 6" Billet MMP Wheels and MMP two-wheel conv. Kit
Works great even though people say it cannot be done(M-series skid in a previous chassis, and '09 rails mated with '06 Hardware) Took out the plastic transfer blocks because my bro is just over the 100lb mark. And I did cut down the torsion springs to mount them and not spear the track.

141x2.25x15 Camo Extreme Ported
This track needs no explaination....it flat works. I was hoping to find a 141 PowderClaw but I couldn't find a take off or a used and if I was throwing down the same amount as a CE, well you know what I chose.

Wahl 7t Drivers
Would have liked to use Avids but with the "lack" of power, I didn't think I would need the Avids. I did get the Wahls turned down on a lathe to true them up.

Team Hyvo Gearing
Strongest set-up I've run, never had a failure.

Gundrilled Jackshaft/Driveshaft
Milled down Jackshaft/Driveshaft/Brake Rotor
Totally illegal while racing, so we had a plug installed into the jackshaft....they never did realize the milled down portion of each shaft, just concerned about the gundrilling. haha

CR Racing CM Handlebar Post
Strong, lightweight, screwed up ad got the stock flat top on the post instead of a T-top

M-Series Handlebars
RSI Elements
ODI Ruffian Grips
Fly 6" Risers
Fly Billet Choke Lever
Custom Billet Starter Handle

Koso Exhaust Temperature Gauge
Even though she's a little fancooled sled, we try to squeeze every HP we can outta the thing. The Koso gauges are easy to program and I've had ridiculous luck with them over other brands.

SLP 1M Airbox Cover
Fit perfectly on the stock 440 airbox - Cat has littered dozens of parts throughout the line-up so multiple years of the weirdest parts are all interchangeable.

Some SLP Venting, some custom venting.

Rox Traction Holes
Clears the snow from the running boards very well, definately not a BetterBoard set-up, but gets the job done.

1M front end with Zero Pro's and Ti springs.
Hard Anodized Bushing kit for Front suspension

Slp Powder Pro's w/Carl's mod
Best ski there is for the Cat's, and the Carl's Mod is an amazing trick for riders who are a little on the lite side or just have dificulties pulling a sled over and keeping it on edge.

Things that I would like to do still include getting billet spindles for the sled, Clear Performance used to make them, can't find anymore. And Cutler had some as well but won't get a single set made, and I have no reason to buy 3 sets that he needs to make worthwhile to machine.And Carbon Fibre ski saddles for the SLP's. That's definately a bling thing as they loose a lb off each ski......but totally not worth the money C3 wants for a set.
I'd also like to change the color scheme a bit, but like I said before, it's not my sled and my little Bro absolutely loves the way it's done up right now. don't mess with a good thing I guess!

More pics will be posted shortly, just have to locate all of them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg work 016.jpg (89.0 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg work 017.jpg (78.2 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg work 018.jpg (81.1 KB, 490 views)

Forever Sled'n...

Last edited by Reeb; 02-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Looks very good, I am sure he is a very happy kid to ahve that to learn on...

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Prospect

Forever Sled'n...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Just Got Here

BoonDocKing is an unknown quantity at this point

Before the major modifications, how did you do your two wheel kit? I know these era came stock with a 4 wheel idler kit in the rear, and you can use the spacers for the 2 wheel kit. How did you attach your axle tensioner and what axel did you use? Thanks, and by the way, nice rebuild. I am really liking the rear end.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Prospect

Thanx guys, spent way too much on this thing in the past few years but you won't see one like it anywhere!

I flipped the tensioners to the inside of the rails, and used 6 3/8" wheels with a two wheel axle kit from MMP. Here's a picture of that set-up.

Forever Sled'n...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 AM
REBEL

CATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from ARCATKILLER Has earned a rub and tug from AR

the sled looks great, im sure your lil bro is happy as can be......have fun with him out there .
Anchorage, Alaska

DJ Clutch kits
RotoPax Gas cans
C and A ski distributor
Black Diamond Extreme
Skinz silencers
VanAmburg Products
RSI bars/risers/grips
WPS dealer
Zbroz Suspension/Exit Shocks
Dynoport pipes
http://www.HybridColor.com
ArcticFX wrap dealer
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
REBEL

SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
SNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from ARSNWMBL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Nice write up, I bet your bro has a blast on that thing. I think it's great that you can return it to stock when the time comes. Any plans for 1m plastic down the road?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Prospect

I wish man. Would totally transform the look of the sled. However.........lil' bro likes it looking this way, he likes the look better than the 1M. Likes the wrap around bumper! haha.
The change of dress totally changed my sled when I did it.
Looking at this picture.....it looks dead sexy! haha I'd swap plastics for the 1M in a heartbeat again though.

Little bit of lipstick smartened up my old girl. Night and Day to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg felix01.jpg (80.3 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg bomb02.jpg (94.7 KB, 374 views)

Forever Sled'n...

Last edited by Reeb; 02-27-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BACKCOUNTRY RIDES - BUILD THREADS