Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Wild Game and Exotic Meats

Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
"Little Creep"

TROUT HUNTER has disabled reputation
Default Elk Sandwiches

First Recipe is for a Elk Sirloin Sandwich Ive been grilling up as of late.

Thin Slice some elk sirloins, I do them about 1/4 thick precooked thickness.

Toss in a pad of butter in the frying pan.

Saute up the meat, season it to your flavor, Garlic Salt and Pepper for me

While that is cooking I toast and butter up a bun.

Take the cooked sirloin throw it on the bun, top with pepper jack cheese and
what ever condiments you want. A little spicy mustard goes well IMO.

Pretty Quick Sandwich that is Tasty.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
"Little Creep"

Default Elk Burgers

First all of the elk burger we use has no other meats mixed in. When trimming all the back fat we save it to mix in with the burger so it will hold together.

First step Is to gather these Ingredients:
Elk Burger
Bread Crumbs with Italian Seasoning
Shredded Cheese ( I use 4 cheese Taco Blend)
Soy Sauce
Seasonings

In a mixing bowl Ill take all the things listed above and mix them into taste. No measuring, just a bit of this and that after a few times you can get a good feel for amounts. The Bread crumbs help to hold the moisture in the meat and isn't something you need alot of, Ill prob put in a 1/4c in a lb of burger.

Mix them By Hand and then press out 1/3 lb burgers from it, I prefer nice thick big burgers.

Grill, Toast and butter the buns at the end.

The Cheese that I like on this is one is pepper jack or chipotle cheddar. Occasionally Ill toss both of them on.

This method makes a really juicy burger and one of the best ways Ive had elk burger.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Have to remember the fat trick, lean meats can be a PAIN to cook burgers out of because they dry up so fast and fall appart.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
"Little Creep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
Have to remember the fat trick, lean meats can be a PAIN to cook burgers out of because they dry up so fast and fall appart.
Been there before, had some bulls that were so lean from the rut that they had almost no fat, had to mix pork fat with them to keep it together.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
"Wannabe Head Numpty"

Location: Pocatello, ID / One foot on either side of the "LINE"
Crashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLP
Crashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLP

I like the recipe with the mixing in the bread crumbs, When we grind our elk hamburger, we will add in some beef soot(sp?) that we pick up at the store. You don't use enough to make the elk fatty or change the taste any, just enough so that it will hold together when you make a patty and it fries up nice without burning or sticking in the pan.

Other trick that I have done to grill elk hamburger, is to make the patties and put just a little olive oil on either side of the patty spread it out then put the patties in the freezer for 15 min. Makes them easy to grill and they all stay together

[20-03, 08:15] Adrenaline Revolution Lionel, Can you make it so that every time H2 types Numpty or Sheeple or whatever term he uses to antagonize people it would read "I'm an idiot" or something like that? !
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
"Little Creep"

Hadnt ever heard of the olive oil method. Ill have to give it a shot this week.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Just Got Here

shaneo11 Has earned a rub and tug from ARshaneo11 Has earned a rub and tug from ARshaneo11 Has earned a rub and tug from ARshaneo11 Has earned a rub and tug from ARshaneo11 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

When we grind up the Elk burger we get a 10lb tube of beef burger, the fatty stuff that is like 27% fat and 73% beef. When mixing it doesn't change the flavor but when you do about 100lb's of Elk you end up getting 110lbs. That way it keeps it's form when you bbq it and it doesn't dry up.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Or next time you have elk meat to grind up, just call your local butchershop or grocery store(that has meat dept) and ask them to save you some beef tallo (fat).

we go 10-15%, has amazing flavor, holds together nicely, never dries out. Use this for everything from taco's, burgers, chili, casseroles.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
"Wannabe Head Numpty"

Location: Pocatello, ID / One foot on either side of the "LINE"
Crashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLP
Crashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLPCrashleroux Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL View Post
Or next time you have elk meat to grind up, just call your local butchershop or grocery store(that has meat dept) and ask them to save you some beef tallo (fat).

we go 10-15%, has amazing flavor, holds together nicely, never dries out. Use this for everything from taco's, burgers, chili, casseroles.
Smart fkr I already said that
LMFAO Good idea though I'd probably try it!!

[20-03, 08:15] Adrenaline Revolution Lionel, Can you make it so that every time H2 types Numpty or Sheeple or whatever term he uses to antagonize people it would read "I'm an idiot" or something like that? !
Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
REBEL

tim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from ARtim Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I have heard lots of people using pork fat in there burger.

it's funny, my wife and i eat an elk a year. but neither one of us like elk burger. I guess to each his own.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Wild Game and Exotic Meats