Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default hand warmers don't work

09 xp. started out not as hot as normal and by the end of the trip , no heat at all. same with the thumb warmer. i find it odd that they both quit working at the same time.what should i check. and if so whats the easest way to replace them
Old 01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
JUNKLESS

ski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLP
ski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLPski-doo junkie Offical PLP

Give me a call tomorrow on my cell.
I can talk you through it
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM
WHITEOUT MAGAZINE

WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP
WHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLPWHITEOUT Offical PLP

Buddy just got done replacing his broken bars on his. I know there were two wires that had been broken for a while, his stopped working late last year.

He got new warmers with the new bars so his wiring was fixed then.

My vote: Check all the wiring at the bars first.
FREE IN PRINT AND ONLINE

www.whiteoutmagazine.com
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

How the tides have changed..... welcome to the club you made fun of me for so long... the pro warmers work well... haha jk

I would also check the wires on them, on our 08 we had issues with the ends of the elements making contact with the bars and grounding out before they could work through the elements, some electrical tape around the bases and they were good as new.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
I would also check the wires on them, on our 08 we had issues with the ends of the elements making contact with the bars and grounding out before they could work through the elements, some electrical tape around the bases and they were good as new.
Seen the wires short out on the ends as well. There was a update or fix by the dealers for this issue if I remeber correctly.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis (1-17-14)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Yea; those things are finicky.

I wrapped my grips with Kapton tape (the stuff they use on teh space shuttle solar panels)... real thin and it holds up to the abuse the grips take. Haven't had one short out to the bars since.

Another thing I did... handguards would always rotate a bit when I wreck and would rip the wires out... so I popped two small holes in teh bars and ran the wires through the bar. No more problems with handguards and wires anymore
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

You'll need a multimeter for this... unplug the handwarmers from the connector on the bars.

On the connector to the handwarmers, one wire is ground. It's probably black or brown... it'll be more different than the other two. Stick the black lead on that.

Set the meter to resistance, then poke the other two wires. One should be slightly higher than the other.... like 13 and 20 ohms... if you see less than 1, the element is shorted to ground. If you see "OL", the circuit's open... either a bad wire or broken trace. Can also check continuity from the bars themselves to high and low, should see "OL" on both of those. If it's a few ohms, the trace is shorted to the bar.

Other side of that connector, the one going to the sled... set the meter to measure voltage... again, black probe to ground, whatever pin that happens to be... fire up the sled, click the handwarmers on low... should see voltage on the pin cooresponding to the trace with the higher voltage. Medium or high should see voltage on the other, and if it has a medium setting the high setting should have power to both pins.

No power on one/all of those pins would point to wiring or the switch controlling them. My bet is it's the grip warmers on the bars, not the sled-side wiring.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO