Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > POLARIS

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
WELCOME WAGON

Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP
Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP
Default 2001 800 RMK set up

The 01 800 is a great sled, a little dated now but I figured I would post the set up for that sled for mountain riding.

For stock engine set up.
Primary, 10/58 weights, Almond spring
Secondary, stock helix, silver spring in the number 2 hole.
Gearing, 19/42
Limiter strap all the way out.
Rear suspension. There is an upper and lower hole in the rear skid mount.
Set the skid in the lower hole.
Put the largest torque spring polaris sells on. The sled sags WAY too much with the stock set up.

The steering posts on these sleds was weak as all get out.
If you are looking to put a riser on it, get a chromoly post to replace it. DO NOT put a piece of all thread down the center of the post or fill it with epoxy. This just transfers the point at which the post will break.

There has been a lot of talk of the cranks going out on these sleds. I put over 6k miles on mine with zero problems, HOWEVER, if you are planning on modding the engine or want to make sure you are safe, get the big bearing kit installed on the engine.

For best HP increases with least amount of hassle, put an SLP single pipe and can combo on it. You will also need the intake horn to increase cold air intake horn. This combo will get you 10-15 REAL hp.

As far as jetting goes, that is altitude dependent. Check with your dealer or fellow riders you trust. Don't just take joe blows word for it. Jetted wrong and this sled WILL burn down.

Best oil I found to run was Blue Marble.

Member #81

Last edited by Ollie; 12-30-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Goat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Goat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Ollie,

What elevation is that setup good for? I've got a bone-stock '02 800 Edge and I'm going through the primary clutch before the season starts. Previous owner has 10-60 weights and a black/green spring. I ride at 8,500' - 10,500' and I'd like a few more rpm's at wide open, so I'm thinking of going with an SLP Blue/Pink spring, and maybe some 10-58 weights. Do you think that'll help?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited by Goat; 09-26-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Black/Green spring, not black/red
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM
WELCOME WAGON

Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP
Ollie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLPOllie Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Ollie,

What elevation is that setup good for? I've got a bone-stock '02 800 Edge and I'm going through the primary clutch before the season starts. Previous owner has 10-60 weights and a black/red spring. I ride at 8,500' - 10,500' and I'd like a few more rpm's at wide open, so I'm thinking of going with an SLP Blue/Pink spring, and maybe some 10-58 weights. Do you think that'll help?

Thanks for any recommendations.
I ran 8-12k feet.
I would switch out to the 10/58 weights, a little better and smoother engagement.
Not familiar with the SLP springs at all.

Here is a spring rate chart for comparison.

Member #81
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Goat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Goat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from ARGoat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thanks a bunch!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > POLARIS